Miners axe, rafting axe, construction axe

A6-2.jpg

“Dock axe, Dayton pattern”?
Circling back a bit.
Hard to say really because they made so many hardened polled including those sold unhafted.

Good morning, here are some other references to the Miner's Axe Configuration and some other heads offered with hardened polls:
1906 catalag ad with a Miner’s Axe

2cxAz6w.jpg

1910 catalog ad with Miner’s Axe 28” mentioned

JcdNwg7.jpg

1919 ad with Miner’s Axe 26”

QLiQ4je.jpg

1922 Blue Grass Ad – Hardened poll axes in several patterns

GLu00mf.jpg

dPc9Oct.jpg

1929 Plumb ad Hibbard Miner’s Axe 26”

xAWw2fX.jpg

1935 Diamond Edge Hardened/Tempered? Polls

Kmyf2SE.jpg

1959 Mann ad with mention of Miners Axe (letter G) at 19" I think.

c3swmZ6.jpg

It has what appears to be some kind of fastener through the head. Could that be? Something someone added when they
couldn't hang it properly?
Recently I learned of an axe head cross pinned like that with some legitimacy, get this, wheellocks! Obscure 17 century weapons misconceived from the beginning. So that makes sense.

Almost surely a True Temper. But the bevels also looks similar to my Collins rafting axe. While the ridges are much more common on TT axes they are also documented on Collins axes.

But with the very slightly mis-drifted eye I'd bet money it's a Woodslasher rafter. If it came out perfect they would have stamped it True Temper.

Almost surely a True Temper. But the bevels also looks similar to my Collins rafting axe. While the ridges are much more common on TT axes they are also documented on Collins axes.

But with the very slightly mis-drifted eye I'd bet money it's a Woodslasher rafter. If it came out perfect they would have stamped it True Temper.

If it came out perfect they would have stamped it True Temper.

I wish True Temper Woodslasher quality upon consumer axes available today.

Sharpened and hung it will eat what you throw at it.

Have noticed the US 17 stamped are better looking than others,no casting marks and funky grind marks.Had Michigan's like the Collins, woodings verona style and a double bit with a fiberglass handle that had the thinnest cheeks I have seen on a new one,said made in taiwan.

Would these axes count a miners axes? The collins came to me on a 28" handle (not its current one) and the Stanley is a rafting pattern that had no handle. Neither one appears to have a hardened poll, but they aren't soft either. Collins poll.
DSC_0614.jpg

DSC_0615.jpg

Stanley poll
DSC_0616.jpg

DSC_0617.jpg

Looks like TT woodslasher to me too. Here is a comparison of yours with a TT Kelly Vulcan head.

4lZEiY.jpg

Nice visual comparison. True Temper and Plumb rafting patterns are the ones I get most excited about when I find them. Although, I do use my "Collins in a box 4" and find it does a great job of splitting - no cheeks maybe offset some by the weight behind it.

Nice visual comparison. True Temper and Plumb rafting patterns are the ones I get most excited about when I find them. Although, I do use my "Collins in a box 4" and find it does a great job of splitting - no cheeks maybe offset some by the weight behind it.

I picked up a 4# TT woodslasher (looks just like yours) & #5 Plumb head a little while ago. I just need to hang them. I already have a 36" straight handle haft I think I will use for the #5 but I think I will go with a 32" on the #4 . I just need to find the time to get it done.

Last edited:
Back