Modded my Junglas, lots-O-pics-n-how-to

You should do this for a living..... if you can PM or email me how much you charge to do all the mods on the Junglas it would be greatly appreciated!

Would you do something like that to the ESSE-5? It should be a bit easier...

EDIT: I just saw that you did it already. Great job!

Last edited:
Thanks guys! It's nice to know people like my work. It has inspired me to get more serious about modding and making knives.

-Bryan

This is awesome. I don't know how you did this. I mean I know how, but the effects you get on the blade still stand out some how from other ESEE mods I've seen where they've stripped the paint. The etching is a really nice touch. IMHO it's what puts this mod a step above the rest.

I'm doing this right now on my ESEE 6. I've just started bathing it in etchant, but I noticed that the laser engraving is a lot finer and more detailed than the Junglas, ESEE 5, or ESEE 4 as seen on this thread (pic on ESEE's site). It has me a bit worried about whether the etching would turn out well... have you ever done an ESEE 6 before? I'll be sure to update with how it turns out. I imagine I should leave it in the solution for a shorter time than you did.

Congrats on a mod that looks superb, especially the choil and that spine jimping and round off. I'm not sure about that handle though. Love it for the looks, don't know how my hand would like it.

This is awesome. I don't know how you did this. I mean I know how, but the effects you get on the blade still stand out some how from other ESEE mods I've seen where they've stripped the paint. The etching is a really nice touch. IMHO it's what puts this mod a step above the rest.

I'm doing this right now on my ESEE 6. I've just started bathing it in etchant, but I noticed that the laser engraving is a lot finer and more detailed than the Junglas, ESEE 5, or ESEE 4 as seen on this thread (pic on ESEE's site). It has me a bit worried about whether the etching would turn out well... have you ever done an ESEE 6 before? I'll be sure to update with how it turns out. I imagine I should leave it in the solution for a shorter time than you did.

Haven't done a 6, but I can tell you that the etcheant will pick up some pretty fine detail.

I will say that you may not want to soke it for a full 2 days like I did my Junglas. If you leave it in for too long the details and small lettering can get a little washed out.

I just made the mistake of forgetting how temperature effects the etchant, haha.... we're having a heatwave here this week, and the higher temps make the etchant work faster, so leaving the knife in for the same time as before resulted in more metal being eaten away than I wanted!

Love to see some pics of yours when your done though! :)

Congrats on a mod that looks superb, especially the choil and that spine jimping and round off. I'm not sure about that handle though. Love it for the looks, don't know how my hand would like it.

Thanks! Yeah, the handle is actually more comfortable than it looks, I've chopped with mine all afternoon with no problem with hot spots. But I mostly did it for looks and for better grip. The smooth factory handle could be more comfy in the long run though I do admit. :)

If I were to totally redesign the scales myself, I would start with thicker stock and give it a nice curvey palm swell and mild texturing. :thumbup:

Wow, got this today and it's awesome. i'll post some pics up later. The grip is so much more comfortable to me it's unreal.

Loved my Junglas before, love it even more now. thanks BryFry, you rock!

snapped some quick pics. Sorry for the quality, they do not do the knife justice. It looks a million times better in person.

IMAG0384-1.jpg

IMAG0386.jpg

IMAG0385.jpg

Absolutely beautiful work, BryFry. Stunning looking knives. Thanks for the tutorial. I'll be giving it a shot one of these days.

Great job! I wonder though, is there a faster and easier way to do the jimping instead of clamping it down and using a file? Maybe you could get a smaller wheel for your dremmel?

Great job! I wonder though, is there a faster and easier way to do the jimping instead of clamping it down and using a file? Maybe you could get a smaller wheel for your dremmel?

You could use a Dremel cutting disc, but it is hard to keep nice straight lines and 90* angles with a spinning disc that shrinks as you use it. Dremel also mkes some slender sanding drums, but they are still wider than I like, and they wear out fast.

Pluss, I just like the shape made with a triangle file. :)

Back