Modded my Junglas, lots-O-pics-n-how-to

Thanks for the PM, Bryan. You know, I bet a lot of guys on here would be willing to trade diapers for knife mods... ;) Just a thought; maybe you should run it past your wife!

haha... I'll see what she says about that!

....Well, she says I need to remodel the bathroom first! Sorry. :eek:

OH MY GOD THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Junglas is my personal favortie knife and what you did is just perfection. I will definitely look into doing something similar. GREAT WORK!

Hi there, I put in a bit a few months ago about doing a similar mod to my ESEE-6. I got it done and it came out nice, but I never got around to pictures. I just fashioned some new scales for this guy out of a block of redheart wood I found lying around and think it makes a pretty picture now. Here you go!

IMG_5161.JPG

I did the acid etching thing, and it came out alright. The paint etching was a bit too detailed and the acid-etched text isn't completely readable, but I still like the effect. I also neglected to cover some parts where the paint had worn off--on the jimping and butt, for example--and the etchant ate a bit through those, too.
It was very, very difficult for me to strip it. I didn't have a good stripper and probably applied a paste I bought about four separate times. In the end, I went to town on the thing with a wire brush on a Dremel. There's still some paint left under the scales.
I ground out a small groove right in front of the jimping so I could have something to scrape my Firesteel with. I've heard that it's better to scrape near the tip of the knife, but I feel I have more control the closer it is to the grip.
The scales are contoured a bit as well as grooved to improve grip and comfort over the flat stock scales. They also have a few rough spots that could use some sanding. By no means a professional-quality job, but as I spent maybe eight hours sawing a couple slabs of redheart, whittling them down, sanding them to shape, and finishing them with teak oil, I feel proud that they were all handmade by me. My first hand-made scales.
And that goes for the whole knife--despite the shoddy etching and paint-stripping jobs, I am real proud of owning this know because I've truly made it mine. The knife feels lighter in the hand because of the wood. I don't know if they actually are lighter, but the handle almost feel hollow.

Oh, I also convexed the edge. May have been the only thing done properly here :)

And just so that I haven't deceived you with lighting, here's the blade under indirect light to show that the finish is not as satined as the first picture might make it look.
IMG_5164.JPG

That is incredible! You are truly a gifted artist. Well done. I want that to be my desktop background.

ive been thinking of doing something like this to my tops condor alert. very nice work in all the photos. good job guys.

i did the scales and bryfry rounded and textured them for me.. i then finished with some polish and beezway!! thanks again man they look awesome and feel even better in hand!!

from this
photo1-1.jpg
[/IMG]
photo-1.jpg
[/IMG]
to this!!
eseehandlemod1.jpg
[/IMG]

ya i could even get them a little shinny-er but i didnt have the time... i wanna really bring out that beautiful wood!!

Great. Something else I have to try. I hate to copy so we'll see what this inspiration leads to.

Hey guys, are there any rusting problems after the mod? The blade is carbon steel..
Also is there any problem with the warranty? I know esse has a great warranty.
I'm thinking about doing etching of my initials and taking off the esee logo (too big for my tastes).

So I customized my Junglas a while back, and posted a few pics...
Very COOL tutorial, THANKS. So from what I'm seeing here, you actually etched the ESEE Logo & serial numbers before stripping the knife?
A LOT of work, but the end result seems to be well worth it. :thumbup:
-Bruce

Hey guys, are there any rusting problems after the mod? The blade is carbon steel..
Also is there any problem with the warranty? I know esse has a great warranty.
I'm thinking about doing etching of my initials and taking off the esee logo (too big for my tastes).

just like any other carbon blade u gota take care of it.. and no esee doesnt care about the taking the coating off i have asked in the past.. they said that that will not affect the warranty at all

Bryfry, I know you're probably busy at the moment turning out crazy looking Junglas monstrosities, but my question is this: If I wanted to etch a simple quarter-sized object into the flat of a blade, could I just tape up the local area and dab the etchant on occasionally with cotton swabs? I already have plans for this for the Norse Hawk, the CS Sax and a custom chopper :D

Last edited:
Bryfry, I know you're probably busy at the moment turning out crazy looking Junglas monstrosities, but my question is this: If I wanted to etch a simple quarter-sized object into the flat of a blade, could I just tape up the local area and dab the etchant on occasionally with cotton swabs? I already have plans for this for the Norse Hawk, the CS Sax and a custom chopper :D
I was wondering the same thing.. I wanted to etch my izula serial number and logo without dunking the while blade in enchant.

So I customized my Junglas a while back, and posted a few pics...

You did, huh? ;-)

All I gotta say, is: DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE! Freaking awesome! Sure gave me a couple of ideas! I'm not going to try all the fancy stuff with removing the factory coating and all, but I might do some work on the handle scales and try to add some of that jimping on the back of the blade.

First I gotta find me an insignificant bar of steel though, to practice on. I'm not going to subject my precious Junglas to my inexperienced hands. Plus an extra set of scales, just in case I mess up...hehe!

Love it, love it, love it!

Did I mention I love your work yet?

Nice work everybody. I plan on doing this to my esee-6. What type of paint did you use to coat the edge before etching?

Back