Modern fighting knives? Not military combat!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd contact James Helm, Stormcrow on BF, for a Benghazi War Fighter with a sharpened clip. I don't know his pricing for this, my Tanto was $300.00 He doesn't use stainless but the 80CrV2 is a very good steel.

medium800.jpg

A straight claw Estwing framers hammer is a real good striking weapon. If you are out fixing fences anyway.

I have toyed with an Estwing "Hatchet" which is a nice but, large option. I do carry my TwoHawks Longhunter or Gransfors Bruk Outdoor axe (the little one with the steel collar) some.

Both of those are good but, not something I mindlessly put on like a watch or my eyeglasses so it is ALWAYS with me.

actually 420hc is excellent for toughness, it should be in the range of aeb-l... which is the toughest stainless out there

and for non-stainless, good old 5160 is an excellent choice

these steels of course give up really great edge retention as a result, but they are not bad really
also interesting side note, copper and clad sells many of the large buck knives in 5160 steel - which is easily the most tough option in production knives
(sadly the 124 is out of stock right now - but it's a common one and doesn't have tip issues at all ; )

That Buck Knives 124 Frontiersman Cocobolo BOS 5160 Carbon Steel Fixed Blade is one I missed! Nice knife but, a bit redundant with some I already have.

I've had some issues with 420 knives though, it has been a long time since I really used a Buck 420HC hard.

Warcraft Tanto in 3V, I have one and I freaking love it.

Strong reinforced tip, secondary point for snap cuts if needed, and plenty of slashing power too (slight curve allows it to slash deep...

And CPM-3V steel is as tough as it gets, it's one of toughest steels available.

I have mixed feelings about Cold Steel products in general but, their Tanto range is a solid choice for many. The curve would be good for slashing but, the ones I have been around were really thick so great for smashing cinder blocks but, not as good for quick movements with easy deep cuts.

If attacks from aggressive dogs are a recurring issue I don't see why you wouldn't carry something like a shotgun around. Maybe not a full spear but something closer to the size of a javelin seems practical, certainly better than a dedicated knife. But if you just want a fighter knife because they're pretty damn cool I would look at our Exchange's custom makers section, fighter knives go up there for sale all the time at reasonable prices.

A rifle or shotgun that isn't with me when I need it does me no good. Walking around with a rifle/shotgun and fencing supplies for example simply isn't practical. But yes, I often have a rifle propped up against a tree but, whether it is close to me or not is a separate subject, at least it generally isn't at the house in a gun safe! ;)

Maybe something in 10mm?

I have been looking for a Glock 40 holster for my upper torso in front, sort of like you see with soldiers in body armor with a 9mm holstered above their extra M-16 magazines.

However, as mentioned previously, pretty high profile around sheeple near the mailbox. The rifle for whatever reason doesn't get near the negative attention from random people.

Pepper spray is probably the most simple and effective solution. I would choose it over a knife.

That's a great idea! However, after seeing my German Shephard come back with quills in his face or bites all over his face from a possum or something similar suggests this might not be as effective as one would initially think.

A drunk that is pepper-sprayed can be a real handful so, while better than nothing but a baton or gun, may not end without collateral damage. The aggressive dogs I have been around are hard to deter like a bad drunk! With altered mental states, all bets are off with normal cause and effect!

A rifle or shotgun that isn't with me when I need it does me no good. Walking around with a rifle/shotgun and fencing supplies for example simply isn't practical. But yes, I often have a rifle propped up against a tree but, whether it is close to me or not is a separate subject, at least it generally isn't at the house in a gun safe! ;)

You're in Texas! I can't think of a place where its easier to get a carry license. When we moved here from The Peoples Republik Of Marylandistan, one of the first things my wife and I did was practice our new found 2d Amendment rights by getting our licenses.

You say you are in a rural area with threats fro dogs and drug growers. I can't think of any better and easier thing to carry than a nice little J frame S&W, or a light weight Glock 43, or any number of compact firearms that can just go on with your pants in the morning. A Ruger LCP is not even noticed in jeans pocket.

Yeah, I understand we are all knife nuts here, but picking an inferior tool for the job when you have valid concern over your safety is a whole other thing. You're in Texas, just carry a gun if you are really concerned for your safety. But looking for an excuse to buy another knife is a different matter as well.

That's a great idea! However, after seeing my German Shephard come back with quills in his face or bites all over his face from a possum or something similar suggests this might not be as effective as one would initially think.

A drunk that is pepper-sprayed can be a real handful so, while better than nothing but a baton or gun, may not end without collateral damage. The aggressive dogs I have been around are hard to deter like a bad drunk! With altered mental states, all bets are off with normal cause and effect!

Then just carry an RPG, for all I care.

Idk. Personally with dogs distance is everything. Imho. Anything else becomes a wet slip and slide.

Maybe a custom walking stick. I’ve custom walking sticks with tomahawk heads.

good for quick movements with easy deep cuts
Actually , the Cold Steel Warcraft was designed for the "snap cut" . Suggest looking that up .

The medium sized one is compact enough for carry but long enough for some chopping power .

Very useful for chores , also .

Knife is OK for backup , but not what you need for dangerous dogs .

Get a compact concealable Glock or similar and practice drawing from CC .

cold steel bowie chaos 10" blade clip point swedge can be sharpened, with aluminum knuckles and steel pommel at end.

gun would be better for feral dawgs though.

I have mixed feelings about Cold Steel products in general but, their Tanto range is a solid choice for many. The curve would be good for slashing but, the ones I have been around were really thick so great for smashing cinder blocks but, not as good for quick movements with easy deep cuts.
It's 5mm thick, so it's not thin, but still not as thick as some other knives I've seen.

The tang is tapered (full tang, it just gets slightly thinner as it goes down the handle) and ballance of the blade is bit forward from the handle.

But when it comes to weight, I would still rather have some than none, as you have to penetrate through fur, skin... and so on. This is also where secondary point of tanto blade comes handy.

Maybe it's just the city folk in me but I would think if the threat of these dogs is as real as you say, you'd want the rifle at hand, practical or not.

All that aside, from a logical standpoint a slashing knife wouldn't seem ideal, if a dog has any kind of thicker coat the fur would hinder the blade (an evolved defense, think of lion's manes or bears coats). A stabbing weapon sounds better, and a quick one.

The few I have seen sell were way out of my price range or I would have jumped on one. Back when they were in production, weren't they in the ~$450 and up range? Now they seem to be collector's items with a price to match but, maybe I'm not looking in the right places.

They are no longer in production, but the base model with black or natural micarta was $327. The only one over $400 was with the edge-cut antique micarta over black micarta handle upgrade at $437.

If you're interested in a Joe Louie Knife, I've got this one up in the Exchange for a screaming good deal.

There was a member here "possum" some years back who was a farmer and occasionally had to get into small spaces to kill raccoons with knives. His experience was that the most critical attribute for success was a very pointy tip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back