Modern fighting knives? Not military combat!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've spent a lot of time in Europe, not as a soldier, and European views of firearms use and ownership on this side of the Atlantic is a bit unrealistic in almost all cases. Yes, I can walk around with a loaded rifle legally but, being surrounding by curious onlookers could be good or bad. Good as I'm not the only target of the dogs, bad because I can't really get my job completed with curiosity or personal opinons being hurled at me. Sort of like being on a train in Italy with something that gives me away as a 'yank'! I've got the shoes, backpack, clothing, etc. down but, that accent gives me away every time! If only a smile or nod worked every time!

City folks moving out to the "country" think they can do "anything they want" and don't have to answer to anyone. This means the animal hoarder lady that was evicted from her house in a large town ~150 miles away thinks she doesn't need to kennel them anymore and won't reduce their numbers. The same goes for the meth cooker that went to jail after burning his shed to the ground during a 'cook'. I wouldn't care about the marijuana if they kept the smoke on their property and didn't raise aggressive dogs.
But what's wrong with a handgun? Like a Glock maybe?

I mean if I lived surrounded by dangerous dogs and people who grow marijuana or cook meth I'd definitely want something better than a knife...

Each to their own tho

If that works for you, great! A cattle prod might be good for one family dog but, not a really aggressive one or a pack of three. YMMV.

How is one contact weapon superior to another in that situation? Especially with the extended reach of the cattle prod.

Based on this post I don’t think you have ever used a cattle prod or killed anything with a knife.

I’ve traveled all over the world and never had issues with these ravenous packs of 20 to 30 pound dogs you speak of .....this is all rather silly...are you running around with a string of hot dogs around your neck .....if so just drop the hot dogs the dogs will leave you alone

I've spent a lot of time in Europe without these issues. Much more limited time in the UAE.

Just because you haven't personally experienced something doesn't mean it hasn't happened or isn't true.

And, there is a real difference between ravenous and aggressive dogs.

I agree on the absurdity of it all BUT there have been documented attacks on people from the Eastern Coyote, 2 of them fatal and the first person involved was a girl in Canada and she was partially consumed. Also several yrs ago a woman was mauled pretty severely by a pack of "wild dogs" in Yates County in NYS sort of near where I live.

Here is a story that happened years ago to my best friend and his brother walking the Finger Lakes Trail across by friends house. Years ago my best friend with his baby boy, and his brother and his brothers English Setter were walking a bit on the Finger Lakes trail right across from where my BF lived near Hornell NY. His brother's setter was attacked by a pack of wild dogs and killed. Torn to pieces as a matter of fact. A combination of loose pitbulls and big ass farm dogs. The farm dogs started the attack. My buddy and his baby son hightailed it outta of there and his brother had to climb a tree to get away from the dogs. He was trying to fend the pack of dogs off. By the time by buddy got back with his shot gun it was over. DEC did nothing as did troopers. It was reported to the correct authorities but they said without evidence of the actual dogs killing the other dog nothing they could do. Now as for the author killing dogs like he says he had there are other means to discourage a canine. Neighbors must be missing a lot of there pets though.

Me I love dogs and have had a pitbull since 81. Wouldn't be without one just cause to me they are the best friend a man can have. Any dog for that matter save for curr dogs. I have only ever been in contact with 2 PB's that I would have dropped if I didn't know the owners well. One my brother in law kept for his son that was just viscous unless you were my brother in law or his son. The other was owned by the kennel owner of the breeder of my first PB I owned, my Mr. Wilson. Mr. Wilson's stud was a doggo by the moniker of Rebel and it was about as unpredictable as any dog I've ever come across. But the breeder and I rode together so as long as I was with him it was cool. stay safe

Pit Bulls that are raised properly are awesome dogs! Some of the most loving and loyal ones I have been around.

Unfortunately, like other breeds, they have been severely abused and now have a bad reputation that I attribute to the owners and breeders.

Dog attacks do happen. Fortunately, most cities will never see attacks like these. Out in the country, things are different and you need to be more self reliant to deal with people who have bad intentions.

But what's wrong with a handgun? Like a Glock maybe?

I mean if I lived surrounded by dangerous dogs and people who grow marijuana or cook meth I'd definitely want something better than a knife...

Each to their own tho

On my property, generally, not a problem but, open carry on public property is problematic these days even in rural Texas. If I'm not working, I generally have my AR-15 but, a Glock 40 is a backup. However, ~10# of firearms is a bit much if I'm working and generally means it is in the seat of the pickup or rifle rack, not on my person when I need it.

How is one contact weapon superior to another in that situation? Especially with the extended reach of the cattle prod.

Based on this post I don’t think you have ever used a cattle prod or killed anything with a knife.

I put myself through college with beef cattle and wheat so, I've been around most everything related to beef production whether whips, prods, dehorners, etc.

I certainly hope I never have to kill a dog with a knife but, that is better than beating it with a stick if it is committed to the attack. YMMV.

Yeah no kidding.

Just out riding the fenceline on O'l Paint every day and I get attacked by packs of Labrador Retrievers that want do some fetch and steal my lunch.

Might as well spend your life planning on being abducted by aliens who are allergic to water.

Being on a horse or in a pickup is a different situation to being on the ground and fixing fences. Again, just because you haven't been attacked does not mean it doesn't happen.

I never encountered this sort of situation in Oklahoma but, in Texas with city folks moving to the country, things are taken a hard turn for the worse where I live. YMMV.

I doubt you have a neighbor running a B&B for dope smokers too but, that is a totally different topic. And, yes law enforcement has been involved but, mail theft and marijuana is not at the top of their priorities with several cases of murder and a lot of elder abuse-type financial crimes. Animal enforcement is basically non-existent as well outside of the city limits.

On my property, generally, not a problem but, open carry on public property is problematic these days even in rural Texas. If I'm not working, I generally have my AR-15 but, a Glock 40 is a backup. However, ~10# of firearms is a bit much if I'm working and generally means it is in the seat of the pickup or rifle rack, not on my person when I need it.

Okay, I'm starting to get a gut level BS meter reaction. I'm in Williamson County Texas, and I can tell you that the sight of a handgun on a hip is NOT an attention getting thing. Off hiking or at the ranches west of here around Llano where we go horseback riding with the granddaughter, handgun sighting are as common as crows. Everything from Glock 26's to Ruger .357 Blackhawks. If your in a rural area of Texas, and you have reason to be afraid of bands of dogs, then a gun on the hip is going to be the only logical remedy. Hell, one person sees another with a gun on hip and a conversation about guns happens as they compare guns. They even have special guns for the backyard BBQ!

Taking on any decent size canines with a knife is a guarantee trip to the ER with lots of reconstructive surgery afterward.

This thread needs to go to the Prac-tac keyboard commando section.

I've spent a lot of time in Europe without these issues. Much more limited time in the UAE.

Just because you haven't personally experienced something doesn't mean it hasn't happened or isn't true.

And, there is a real difference between ravenous and aggressive dogs.

Okay

Be safe

Though come to think of it I have one of these as well and would much rather have it in hand if I encountered a dog I wished to dispatch, incredibly nimble/quick
3DEFB03F-1600-4F09-89DA-CD66969E53E3.jpeg

Okay, I'm starting to get a gut level BS meter reaction. I'm in Williamson County Texas, and I can tell you that the sight of a handgun on a hip is NOT an attention getting thing. Off hiking or at the ranches west of here around Llano where we go horseback riding with the granddaughter, handgun sighting are as common as crows. Everything from Glock 26's to Ruger .357 Blackhawks. If your in a rural area of Texas, and you have reason to be afraid of bands of dogs, then a gun on the hip is going to be the only logical remedy. Hell, one person sees another with a gun on hip and a conversation about guns happens as they compare guns. They even have special guns for the backyard BBQ!

Taking on any decent size canines with a knife is a guarantee trip to the ER with lots of reconstructive surgery afterward.

This thread needs to go to the Prac-tac keyboard commando section.
Even if open carry isn't OK for the OP , I missed his reasons why not concealed carry .

Just the noise and blast of gunfire will chase off most animals and even most people .

Even if open carry isn't OK for the OP , I missed his reasons why not concealed carry .

Just the noise and blast of gunfire will chase off most animals and even most people .

You didn't miss it Doc, he didn't give a reason. Probably doesn't have one.

In the 5 years we've lived in Texas now, it amazes me the amount of people from all walks of life that are practicing their second amendment rights. An elderly lady with a Bond Arms Derringer, 'older' men with a Ruger .380 in the pocket, young late 20 something female baseball coach with a compact little Sig under her jersey in a high ride pancake, late 30 something female hiker with a Glock sticking up in her right back pocket, Ranchers out by Llano with everything from a 1911 to a Ruger stainless Blackhawk on the belt. The man I know working down the road at the local Academy Sports says they can't keep Ruger LCP and LCPII's in stock. They get some in and in 48 hours they are sold out.

The OP is either under age and pulling our leg, or a convicted felon that can't have a gun so looks for a knife. Texas is very unkind to convicted felons caught with a firearm. Free trip to Huntsville.

When moving here from the firearm repressive area of Maryland and the D.C. area, it was like making it to the promised land. In the D.C. area all handgun carry was VERY covertly because CCW's just were not in the cards for the regular citizen. Here in Texas, in 2017, they made it even easier to get the carry license and made it legal to carry in school zones, churches, and previously "gun free zones" that kind of got eliminated. They even made it easier to shoot the qualifications by eliminating the rule of a minimum .32 caliber, so you can now qualify with a .22 if you so desire. It became legal to open carry in 2017. Enough people do that it no longer even raises an eyebrow. People here don't even blink at the sight of a gun in town, let alone out in a rural area. Heck, people see a gun and a conversation starts and they end up showing what they carry.

My 2 cents. Not so much on the subject of knives and self-defense against dogs, but rather on the direction this thread has taken.

If I were the OP and I could legally do so I would prefer to carry a handgun, but that's me, and I'm not him.

Based on the OP's join date, it looks like he's been a member here for over 22 years. That tells me he isn't some 12 year old just being a goof and making up stories. I'll go out on a limb and assume that he's a grown man with enough years under his belt to decide what HE needs and make up HIS own mind.

If the guy wants to carry a knife for defense against dogs that's his choice. He's not putting anyone else in danger by doing so, and it won't take an inch of skin off of anyone else's back, or take a dime out of anyone else's pocket if he does. Why should anyone else care or get upset if he wants to choose a knife.

I see nothing wrong with giving someone some friendly advice if you think they're making a bad choice. But there's a big difference between giving someone friendly advice, and insulting a person and suggesting on a public forum that they are a liar. Never in my 50 years have I ever seen anyone persuaded to change their mind as a result of being insulted and called a liar.

The OP just asked for knife recommendations. He's not here claiming to be a wounded vet and asking for a free knife. I see no reason to publicly question the mans character.

Again, just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
My 2 cents. Not so much on the subject of knives and self-defense against dogs, but rather on the direction this thread has taken.

If I were the OP and I could legally do so I would prefer to carry a handgun, but that's me, and I'm not him.

Based on the OP's join date, it looks like he's been a member here for over 22 years. That tells me he isn't some 12 year old just being a goof and making up stories. I'll go out on a limb and assume that he's a grown man with enough years under his belt to decide what HE needs and make up HIS own mind.

If the guy wants to carry a knife for defense against dogs that's his choice. He's not putting anyone else in danger by doing so, and it won't take an inch of skin off of anyone else's back, or take a dime out of anyone else's pocket if he does. Why should anyone else care or get upset if he wants to choose a knife.

I see nothing wrong with giving someone some friendly advice if you think they're making a bad choice. But there's a big difference between giving someone friendly advice, and insulting a person and suggesting on a public forum that they are a liar. Never in my 50 years have I ever seen anyone persuaded to change their mind as a result of being insulted and called a liar.

Again, just my 2 cents.
Agreed , but also very aggravating to try to help someone that's misrepresenting their problem / situation .

Because then I have to guess .

But then my advise is based upon a guess , so may do more harm than good if my guess is wrong .

Reactions: DMG
Being on a horse or in a pickup is a different situation to being on the ground and fixing fences. Again, just because you haven't been attacked does not mean it doesn't happen.

I never encountered this sort of situation in Oklahoma but, in Texas with city folks moving to the country, things are taken a hard turn for the worse where I live. YMMV.

I doubt you have a neighbor running a B&B for dope smokers too but, that is a totally different topic. And, yes law enforcement has been involved but, mail theft and marijuana is not at the top of their priorities with several cases of murder and a lot of elder abuse-type financial crimes. Animal enforcement is basically non-existent as well outside of the city limits.
So you don't want a knife to fight dogs with I guess.

You want a scary knife to scare away the scary neighbors. That's fair.

Going to have to suggest a Smatchet for this type of use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back