Modern fighting knives? Not military combat!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If that works for you, great! A cattle prod might be good for one family dog but, not a really aggressive one or a pack of three. YMMV.

I have seen videos of aggressive dogs take multiple gunshots and keep attacking until spine or head shots hit. One attacking dog, a spine shot happened, the dog kept trying to paw its self back to attack with just its front leggs. A pack of large pits had killed and was dismembering a smaller dog. Both the owner of the smaller dog, and the owner of the three large pits had been severly mauled. Both were unable to stand. There were a group of people present. Sticks, tire irons and other weapons including hoses had done nothing. The owner of the larger dogs was screaming and begging some one to shoot them.... he was head to toe covered in bites. A 5 or so police finally showed up and it took several shots per dog to stop the attacks.

I've been attacked by a single German Shepard (a professionally trained attack dog who had mental issues). I was taking it for a walk, and the dog was known to me and I was known to him. I had even stayed where the dog lived for a time. I moved too suddenly, and he snapped.

I’ve traveled all over the world and never had issues with these ravenous packs of 20 to 30 pound dogs you speak of .....this is all rather silly...are you running around with a string of hot dogs around your neck .....if so just drop the hot dogs the dogs will leave you alone

I've not traveled the world. But I lived in Bulgaria for two years. There, I saw constant attacks by packs of dogs. I was cornered frequently. Dogs killed people regularly. I watched a man mauled in broad daylight withing 50 feet of the President of Bulgaria's office...........yards away from the nicest hotel in the country. Broad daylight.

When I was there, I was told there was estimated to be up to 60,000 feral dogs roaming the cities.

In every city I lived in there, it was an issue.

I am very sensitive to the issue....especially because I could not carry any real weapon there.

I had a "gas gun" with extra loud retort, that blasted high velocity mace (military style, eye blinding stuff was still allowed), and pepper spray cartridges. Two shot, Derringer style with heavy brass cartridges and large primers.

I never seemed to have it on me when cornered or confronted by large packs.

I would immediately stoop, as if picking up rocks, and get ready to throw. The dogs were very well used to this.
Even in pairs, and being ready to toss actual large stones.....one pack menaced us for about 3/4 of a mile coming home from the Gym.

Enough foreigners have been killed that Bulgaria started an erratication program that was supposed to reduce the wild dog population by 95% by 2016.

Estimates when a British woman was eaten in 2006 were 11,000 at least in the capitol. Another foreign visitor was eaten in 2012which seemed to have been another push.

But when I was there, in the mid 1990's after the fall of communism, and the total collapse of the government and economy, and monetary unit there were absolutely droves of "wild" dogs who had been turned loose. Bulgarians then always seemed to be super anti spey or neutering. Even with the explosion of wild dogs.

You would often see very large aggressive breeds running in packs. Dobermann, German Shepard, Pit Bull type breeds.

I currenrly live in WA. Small town. 30k or so......

A man not 5 blocks away was just killed by his "rescue" Pitbull. That was two humans vs the dog, in their own home. She survived, with injuries, the male owner was deceased when help arrived. Even in their own home, with access to their own kitchen knives and other "weapons" they were not able to fight off their own dog. The knife did not work for them.

There are approximately 4.6 million dog bite/attacks every year in the USA. Tylically numbers are low for fatalities.

I've been attacked my self (more than once) in the USA. I've had multiple family members bitten. I've also had two family members require facial surgery....one needed 6 operations. To create a new lower lip...her lower lip was completely torn off....and the caring dog owner thought he might escape liability by disposing of it...... he denied his dog did it....but a DNA test showed otherwise (cousin was sure it was his dog, so that was a formality).

Took years of surgeries to attain a reasonable look.

My point is, dog attacks happen all the time. All over the world.

I had a super aggressive putbull "reascue" directly across the street. It was so bad that the father (owner of the home) had to move out when his adult daughter "rescued it". Luckily they moved after it had only killed a few neighborhood cats. It was constantly trying to get out to get to my children and other children. Tearing down the curtains, destroying the shades, the screen door, rhe back yard fence. They were constantly having to fix damage from the fog trying to get out at the neighbors. The lady's dad flat moved, and stopped visiting. She eventually had to get rid of it. (She had taken it in after some one had nearly beaten its skull in with a hammer). There were about 10 young children in the cul-de-sac. We had constant conversations about what to do about that dog.

I can walk in any direction and encounter aggressive dogs in my neighborhood. There are drug houses within a mile or less.

Heck, my older brother, on my Street, adopted a little dog....it immediately jumped his fence and bit the neighbor kid who had moved in just that morning. It was a little yapping dog. He got rid of it immediately!

Once while riding my bike along my father's morning jog, he had to back off a large, aggressive dog....that seemed to be foaming .....

When I walk my dog, I go armed with a .40, or a .357

My wife has been cornered several times while walking our Basset hound. In our neighborhood.

My combo is Gun, with knife as backup.

Sounds like OP has firearms. Also sounds like he is rural, and talking about working his property. I'd suggest a decent pistol, and a medium sized fixed blade in a comfortable cary style. A reasonable sized fixed blade on the belt, especially in a rural setting should not cause any issues. But again, it would not me my first line of defense if I were in OP's shoes.

For me, carying a handgun is second nature. Ccw where I am at. Not open carry.

Last edited:
Absent a 12ga, I like a .45 for almost all predators, two or four legged. If I was seriously concerned about a knife for dog attacks, it would be something relatively heavy that could also be used as an effective impact weapon. It would also be long enough to take a dog's leg off, or eviscerate said predator, in one stroke, thinking about 8" here. The Cold Steel Drop Forged Survivalist is relatively cheap, less than $75. 52100 is a good steel, and CS does give it a good heat treatment. Single edged, but the false edge could probably be sharpened. A super-strong one piece construction for minimal maintenance. And a decent quality plastic sheath to shatter when it gets good and cold. Seriously, the sheath is my only gripe. It's also a really decent working knife, if you happen to need an 8" blade (gloves are a good idea, the grip inserts are really grippy). But it would do a serious number on an unruly canine. Or three....

Bigfattyt: .357
Justjed: .45

Or a rifle, as mentioned prior. Either you’re serious about solving your problem, or you’re not.

I live in a rural area, and sometimes city folk drive out to where they can’t see the houses through the trees, and dump their unwanted animals. First thing those animals do is, follow their nose to the nearest homestead and start fighting with the animals already there.

Back when I had horses, a strikingly handsome husky mix showed up and chased my horses around their own pasture. One of them got tangled up into some barbwire. Almost 400 bucks in vet bills later, after inquiring of all the neighbors as to who owned the dog, I put a 140 gr softpoint right behind its ear. Too bad, in a different situation he might have made a great pet for somebody.

Fortunately, the then sheriff of this county was a stand-up guy, and said, “You made a safe shot, didn’t you? Public service, don’t fret over it.”

All the other options seem like letting the aggressor get way too close to what you want to defend. Throwing the carcasses up on the drug house porch is optional.

Parker

Oh, for a dog, or three, I'd much rather have a 12ga pump, and 00 buck! That's not always practical, but the .45 Commander is always there. Snakes, tarantulas, scorpions, and other creepy crawlers don't bother me. It's the things that can make me bleed to death before I get to the hospital that bother me. And for those critters, whether 2 or 4 legged, I'm of the opinion that bigger holes equals more leakage. And leakage is good (as long as it ain't me that's leaking!). Thus, my preference for .45HP and 12ga. In 12ga, I actually prefer slugs for critters over about 150lb, but 00 buckshot has the advantage of multiple .38 wound tracks. For 4-legged critters, I prefer that option. YMMV.

JJ: “...bigger holes = more leakage.”

I like that, and if we can agree as well that “better placed holes = more stoppage”, I think we’re well on our way to wrapping this thing up.

Parker

Dogs and Wolves in Europe are a different problem compared to what I see in the USA. Wolves and Coyotes have never threatened me though some will hang around pretty darn close, most run off once they get a whiff or site of me. European wolves and aggressive dogs are not scared or shy of people so, to me are generally a bigger threat. They also tend to be bigger on average.

City dwellers dumping 'fluffy' off in the country so she can "run free in nature" are totally clueless. When I'm 6 miles from the nearest paved road and farther from an occupied house on my farm property in Oklahoma and see a reasonably well-groomed Poodle running loose, one of two things will generally happen, they will either die a terrifying death being eaten by Coyotes or, they will starve to death. The lucky ones might get caught or picked up and rehomed.

To the other comments regarding firearms, yes I am in total agreement that a firearm is a lot better option for primary dog defense. A knife is mostly a last-ditch defense if I can't get away and it becomes a fight or die scene.

A motivated aggressive dog is a tough opponent. Really nasty muscular dogs really need a 12 gauge IMHO. Pistols are better than knives but, second place. Rifles are a good option too but, you also have to be aware of the extreme range they can have. I had a friend shot by a neighbor through the trees and another time that had rounds land in his lake around his boat from a half-mile away.

The problem with short swords and long guns is that I am working and keeping large or heavy objects with me so they are available when I need them in not practical. I also need to be able to sit down with a knife on my belt and not get the SWAT Team called if I check the mailbox or go to the convenience store for chainsaw gas or a drink.

I may get a high chest-mounted holster though and give it a try. That would get it off my belt and up out of the saw dust and away from nosey cows that want to taste test it! ;)

Reactions: DMG
I live in Oklahoma too, and if you're working or on your own property, especially outside the city limits, whatever knife you choose to carry is legal, for the most part. Double edges are still frowned upon, for instance. Individual municipalities might have length limits. Tulsa, in public, for instance, is a 6" or less blade, single edged, and not concealed. I carry a 4-1/2" fixed blade every day. But, if your local convenience store is in a relatively small town, and your knife is not screaming 'LOOK AT ME!!!, nobody is likely to say anything. They'll talk behind your back, for certain, but they won't say anything. And if law enforcement says anything, tell them you use it on your farm, and 99 times out of 100, that'll be the end of it. They might ask you not to bring it into town, or to leave it in your vehicle, but that's just a suggestion, and unless the convenience store owner complains, that really is all they can do. Buy what you like, use it as you see fit. A knife is just a tool for cutting stuff.

When dog packs running wild get to be a problem that’s when it’s time for some dog baiting and hunting.

Back in 1980 in a sizable SE Colorado town we lived in there was a large pack of some 40+ dogs mostly larger breeds that roamed the north side close to the river. The law enforcement had their hands full with drug dealers and other rampant crimes so dogs weren’t their top priority. After a few serious attacks on elderly people and a child several sportsman hunters got together and set a trap with bait and took out about half of the pack. Then one early morning just before sunup as I was going to work I spotted them in the company’s back 40 yard. I called the guys that had rifles and they went to work on them even crossing north main and Kmart parking lot leaving a trail of dead dogs. Other guys went behind finishing some off and loading them in their trucks before usual traffic started. That was a sight to watch ! They got all but 3-4 and that stopped the problems. There were people calling in shots fired but the cops just told them it was a vehicle backfiring. They kinda warned us about shooting in city limits but were still appreciative that they didn’t have to worry about dog problems. I don’t think that would go over to well these days.

I live in Oklahoma too, and if you're working or on your own property, especially outside the city limits, whatever knife you choose to carry is legal, for the most part. Double edges are still frowned upon, for instance. Individual municipalities might have length limits. Tulsa, in public, for instance, is a 6" or less blade, single edged, and not concealed. I carry a 4-1/2" fixed blade every day. But, if your local convenience store is in a relatively small town, and your knife is not screaming 'LOOK AT ME!!!, nobody is likely to say anything. They'll talk behind your back, for certain, but they won't say anything. And if law enforcement says anything, tell them you use it on your farm, and 99 times out of 100, that'll be the end of it. They might ask you not to bring it into town, or to leave it in your vehicle, but that's just a suggestion, and unless the convenience store owner complains, that really is all they can do. Buy what you like, use it as you see fit. A knife is just a tool for cutting stuff.

Yes, I'm pretty rural when in Oklahoma. The Convenience store in question is not within the city limits in Oklahoma. It is at the intersection of two highways and about 5 miles from what used to be the local town which is basically a Ghost town with a few leftover old-timers with family homes. As they die off, the homes basically become abandoned.

Texas is a bit different but, the knife laws aren't too bad with the auto's being legal as are double-edge models though they are defined as "dangerous" knives in most cases so, there are some restrictions on where you can carry them but, they aren't overly restrictive to me.

If you don't give off the impression of being a stoned doper or meth addict, and appear to be a farmer or rancher, generally things aren't too tough with buying groceries, getting gas, etc. in town. My bale wrap cutting knife never has been an issue to date for anyone or any store I was in so, I'm not overly worried though open carry pistols are legal too if you have a Concealed Weapons License.

Sid, google up "boonie sling" or "patrol sling", hands-free sling for long guns. The ones I have can be rigged to suspend the rifle muzzle down with the butt behind your shoulder, then quickly rotated to bring it across your chest to a "ready" position. They're a little clumsy, but doable, with a backpack. I've also used them while riding an ATV.

You're right, a rifle requires pointing only at what you intend to destroy, checking the area beyond, and not fingering the trigger til you're ready to fire. Thing is, you can do all that leisurely from 100 yds or more, obtain an improvised rest, and settle in with your sight picture and breathing sequence. Much preferable to wrassling any predator at knife-slashing range, in my book.

A .308 projectile has a max range closer to 3 miles, IIRC. That's a solvable problem. You're in a familiar location, right? So you know the directions where you shouldn't shoot. and which are safer. A person who can't shoot a rifle safely shouldn't carry a rifle, agreed. if it were me, I'd have landmarks ranged from the best positions and improvised rests pre-staged at my usual stopping points.

When confronted by a pack of three dogs, if you're right handed, whack the rightmost one about 85 yds out - that will slow the other two down. Work the bolt smoothly, shift your sight picture to the center one, PRESS do not jerk the trigger. #3 will be a butt shot, I think.

I know, this is a knife forum and we're supposed to discuss knives. I'm all for that. But a knife is not always the best tool for every job. On my favorite construction forums, there are no threads about "which hammer mixes concrete the best."

After shooting 3 feral dogs, you're entitled to take a little break, a drink or snack, maybe slice up an apple. Here's some authorized thread content: "Which knife for outdoor apple slicing?" Then if you have time, walk out and put an additional round in each dog's skull - no point in them suffering now. Hopefully your sheriff is like mine was, although you're not obliged to incriminate yourself by asking him. Best of luck.

Parker

P.S. I know what you mean about cows. My neighbor's cows chewed the asphalt shingles off my tool shed as high as they could reach. At first I blamed myself, thinking it was my own fault for building the shed so close to the fence. Then I realized, "Wait just a minute! When I built that shed, he had pigs in that paddock!" Dang cows...

Sid: ...appear to be a farmer or rancher...

Officer: "Nice rifle, hayseed. What's that on yer boot?"

Sid, looking down:"Dangit, musta stepped in somethin..." [wipes boot on ground]

Officer: "Peee-ewww - yer a farmer or rancher, alright. Have a nice day." and watch where yer steppin next time...

Parker

Sid, google up "boonie sling" or "patrol sling", hands-free sling for long guns. The ones I have can be rigged to suspend the rifle muzzle down with the butt behind your shoulder, then quickly rotated to bring it across your chest to a "ready" position. They're a little clumsy, but doable, with a backpack. I've also used them while riding an ATV.

Parker,

I'm familiar with "African Carry" which I think is what you are referring to. With my "Social Shotgun" that is the primary means of carry I typically use. Low profile and fast to deploy.

You're right, a rifle requires pointing only at what you intend to destroy, checking the area beyond, and not fingering the trigger til you're ready to fire. Thing is, you can do all that leisurely from 100 yds or more, obtain an improvised rest, and settle in with your sight picture and breathing sequence. Much preferable to wrassling any predator at knife-slashing range, in my book.

With all the mini-ranchettes around here in rural Texas with city folks retreating the craziness of Dallas, Houston, or Austin, there is everything from a little cabin to a small mansion pretty much any direction you look. As such fields of fire with a rifle are limited, not to mention I have to watch out for the cows too! A stray rifle round can travel miles so, not to be taken lightly even when ricocheting among tree branches!

When confronted by a pack of three dogs, if you're right handed, whack the rightmost one about 85 yds out - that will slow the other two down. Work the bolt smoothly, shift your sight picture to the center one, PRESS do not jerk the trigger. #3 will be a butt shot, I think.

First, I don't use a bolt action for stuff like this. Also, I know how to shoot my rifle well enough to hit small dogs on the run and have done that many times. Once with 14 dogs chasing nursing cows and their calves. I didn't get them all but, the body count apparently worked because the daily barking and mooing at night stopped. I have also killed as many as 22 feral hogs on my back pasture of 20 acres in ONE WEEK! :eek:

I just finished tilling the front pasture as it was so rough from the hogs I couldn't drive my 4x4 pickup across it without creeping and picking my way through. It took three passes with the tiller but, worked pretty well at smoothing things out. The city folk finally asked me what I was doing with my tractor and that huge tiller in a pasture after the curiosity got to them! :D

I know, this is a knife forum and we're supposed to discuss knives. I'm all for that. But a knife is not always the best tool for every job. On my favorite construction forums, there are no threads about "which hammer mixes concrete the best."

Again, I'm not saying a knife is best - PERIOD. There are practical concerns that are basically overlooked by several posts in this thread. I'm working and have my hands full with other activities so, a short sword or rifle or shotgun left at home or out of reach does me no good. If a dog is on me, I want more than a pair of fencing pliers or slow to swing chainsaw for example (I'm not talking about a limbing saw but, a real chainsaw that can take big trees).

... Then if you have time, walk out and put an additional round in each dog's skull - no point in them suffering now. Hopefully your sheriff is like mine was, although you're not obliged to incriminate yourself by asking him. Best of luck.

Yes, I'm all about being humane whether feral hogs or aggressive dogs. I've killed dogs that were pets and I'm man enough to own and discuss it with their owners including the cow chasing dog that was the neighbor's daughter's pet on Christmas eve. I did feel bad about doing it on Christmas Eve but, it was not restrained, and killing a newborn calf will cause that to happen on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day. Turns out the dog in question had also killed her pet chicken too. :oops:

P.S. I know what you mean about cows. My neighbor's cows chewed the asphalt shingles off my tool shed as high as they could reach. At first I blamed myself, thinking it was my own fault for building the shed so close to the fence. Then I realized, "Wait just a minute! When I built that shed, he had pigs in that paddock!" Dang cows...

:confused: I had one cow get out of the corrals and drink the used motor oil from a diesel engine oil change. :mad: Sometimes they are comical and sometimes they are a real PIA with stuff like this. o_O

I’m going to add a third or maybe it’s a fourth up vote a variant of the Randal Model 1-16, 7.5”, SS, Full Tang with the Green Micarta handles.. it fits every spec. You cited, others wanted and comes in great sheath.

I would suggest a machete. They are light, carry well, and how did that fool doggie get in front of your bush? These days I wouldn’t want anything that might suggest an intent to harm any kind of creature. But, if somebody’s dog gets too close to your work...well that would be a shame.

n2s

Maybe a Jambiya dagger sounds like what you are after, as you mentioned specific ability to perform back cuts, and are not interested in western military style blades. Try a Jambiya, you could even pick up a real antique one for that price.
Remember to wrap your jacket around your arm and get the dog to bite onto it, then when it grabs on tight lift your arm up and stick it in the neck. Don't just randomly slash at it, animal fur and skin is good at stopping slashes.

Oh yeah. Every dog I've ever seen when about to attack will let you wrap your jacket on your arm.

The want to be fair about it.

Oh yeah. Every dog I've ever seen when about to attack will let you wrap your jacket on your arm.

The want to be fair about it.

Maybe you don't train in how to remove your Jacket fast, and quickly wrap it around your arm, maybe if it was part of your training regime and if you study Donald Mcbanes teachings on the art of swordsmanship you could get better at doing it. If you have time to unholster, turn a safety off cock a gun and fire, then you have time to remove your jacket.
Practice makes perfect.

If you have time to unholster, turn a safety off cock a gun and fire...

This boy needs a Glock.

S Sid Post I have a Camillus USA OVB Bowie designed by Jerry Fisk. It's old school, but they are around if you look.

It's awesome. It carries like it's made out of smoke, is sharp as hell and VERY fast handling and it is just plain beautiful.

I can imagine you would use the hell out of it whether or not you ever ran into another surly canine.

Now it's not a modern fighting knife granted... but the Bowie is THE fighting knife for the distinguished Fixed Blade carrier!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back