Modern fighting knives? Not military combat!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This boy needs a Glock.

S Sid Post I have a Camillus USA OVB Bowie designed by Jerry Fisk. It's old school, but they are around if you look.

It's awesome. It carries like it's made out of smoke, is sharp as hell and VERY fast handling and it is just plain beautiful.

I can imagine you would use the hell out of it whether or not you ever ran into another surly canine.

Now it's not a modern fighting knife granted... but the Bowie is THE fighting knife for the distinguished Fixed Blade carrier!

I would carry one but I'd risk possible life in prison if I did, I don't live in a free nation. I am also not allowed to even move to America, because you don't accept people convicted of weapon offences.

Reactions: DMG
I am also not allowed to even move to America, because you don't accept people convicted of weapon offences.

Now, perhaps the administration of this country doesn't... but I myself find weapon offenders to be perfectly acceptable company.

S Sid Post I also think this Cold Steel Recon Tanto would fit the bill for you. It's capable of hard labor as well. Sharp, good grip, strong tanto point.

Now, perhaps the administration of this country doesn't... but I myself find weapon offenders to be perfectly acceptable company.

S Sid Post I also think this Cold Steel Recon Tanto would fit the bill for you. It's capable of hard labor as well. Sharp, good grip, strong tanto point.

Thanks, I find it funny actually, the appeal for me to move to the states is that I'm free to carry and EDC prettymuch anything I wan't. Then the reason I'm not allowed to enter said weapon friendly country is the fact that I chose to carry and EDC anything I want.
Sad face.

Thanks, I find it funny actually, the appeal for me to move to the states is that I'm free to carry and EDC prettymuch anything I wan't. Then the reason I'm not allowed to enter said weapon friendly country is the fact that I chose to carry and EDC anything I want.
Sad face.
Thats not really how it works.....if you are a convicted felon caught carrying anything that can be considered a dangerous weapon you might get to ride in the back of a police car, whether said item is legal or not.
You can't carry anything you want either. Lots of knife restrictions here, blade limits, locks, carry methods etc depending on where you live.

Thats not really how it works.....if you are a convicted felon caught carrying anything that can be considered a dangerous weapon you might get to ride in the back of a police car, whether said item is legal or not.
You can't carry anything you want either. Lots of knife restrictions here, blade limits, locks, carry methods etc depending on where you live.

I mean I am not allowed to apply for USA citezenship because I have been convicted in my home country, and USA doesn't allow ex cons to gain entry, as far as I am aware I'm not even allowed to enter the USA on vacation either.
If I were to move to the USA I would opt to live in Texas where I'm free to carry a sword and pistol of my choice.

Maybe you don't train in how to remove your Jacket fast, and quickly wrap it around your arm, maybe if it was part of your training regime and if you study Donald Mcbanes teachings on the art of swordsmanship you could get better at doing it. If you have time to unholster, turn a safety off cock a gun and fire, then you have time to remove your jacket.
Practice makes perfect.
Maybe if you're imagining outcomes you can imagine one where you don't get convicted of weapon offenses and ruin your life.

But carry on with the advice. You totally broadcast the do the opposite of what you say vibe.

Maybe if you're imagining outcomes you can imagine one where you don't get convicted of weapon offenses and ruin your life.

But carry on with the advice. You totally broadcast the do the opposite of what you say vibe.

Did you really just make a passive aggressive personal insult towards me because you disagree with my blade based training advice. Grow up.

No your training advice is terrible. It's fine for me to comment on how bad it is.

Just like your pommel strike thread. You shouldn't be trying to give real world self defense advice

Then stick to debating the technique and explain why it's bad, instead of reverting to ad hominem personal comments like a child. How long have you been training in bladed weapon martial arts?
When fighting a dog with a blade you are going to get bitten, and you cannot allow the dog to bite your dominant hand holding the blade. You need to offer your off hand to the dog and get it to lock onto that arm, which will then give you the chance to deliver a lethal strike to the neck.
Have you honestly ever worked with attack dog trainers before, do you know what they do to disable dogs when in bite suits.

Last edited:
Maybe you don't train in how to remove your Jacket fast, and quickly wrap it around your arm, maybe if it was part of your training regime and if you study Donald Mcbanes teachings on the art of swordsmanship you could get better at doing it. If you have time to unholster, turn a safety off cock a gun and fire, then you have time to remove your jacket.
Practice makes perfect.

I (like many) carry a Glock or a revolver. Pull it and shoot. No safety. No cocking. I can be on target in 1/10 of a second if the target is low and close like a dog.

I (like many) carry a Glock or a revolver. Pull it and shoot. No safety. No cocking. I can be on target in 1/10 of a second if the target is low and close like a dog.

The OP specifically asked for advice on blades and gave reasons why he didn't want to use a firearm for this specific situation. It's like if somebody asked advice on what bicycle to buy, and everyone is just telling him to use a car.

The OP specifically asked for advice on blades and gave reasons why he didn't want to use a firearm for this specific situation. It's like if somebody asked advice on what bicycle to buy, and everyone is just telling him to use a car.
Instead of suggesting a gun, I’m gonna suggest a wardrobe change.

img upload

It is ironic that you are lecturing me about commenting on firearms when I was responding to your remarkably inaccurate and foolish comments on the subject of firearms.

Then stick to debating the technique and explain why it's bad, instead of reverting to ad hominem personal comments like a child. How long have you been training in bladed weapon martial arts?
When fighting a dog with a blade you are going to get bitten, and you cannot allow the dog to bite your dominant hand holding the blade. You need to offer your off hand to the dog and get it to lock onto that arm, which will then give you the chance to deliver a lethal strike to the neck.
Have you honestly ever worked with attack dog trainers before, do you know what they do to disable dogs when in bite suits.
Thanks but i will take my advice from folks allowed to own weapons and not those who are reading books about it and treating it like a fantasy.

We did discuss your hysteria about if you repeatedly bang the butt end of a folding knife into a heavy wooden table the lock might bounce open but you chose not to understand that human attacker isn't constructed like a heavy wooden table or even why you'd be using an open folding knife as striking weapon. Free tactical tip: If you're in a fight for your life and all you've got is a knife use the pointy end. If you think you just can punch your way out you didn't need the knife then.

You might as well wonder why NASA Scientist won't debate you on the moon being made of cheese. The premise is too ludicrous to entertain.

This is not an ad hominem attack since you're presenting yourself as knowledgeable; we can discuss your CV. All of it.

Back on topic .

Pack of aggressive dogs in place rifle has too much range , 12 ga shotgun 00 buckshot .

Backup knife . Surprisingly easy to carry in pocket . Gives you near BAK / machete / short sword reach and power . XL Espada .

Thanks but i will take my advice from folks allowed to own weapons and not those who are reading books about it and treating it like a fantasy.

We did discuss your hysteria about if you repeatedly bang the butt end of a folding knife into a heavy wooden table the lock might bounce open but you chose not to understand that human attacker isn't constructed like a heavy wooden table or even why you'd be using an open folding knife as striking weapon. Free tactical tip: If you're in a fight for your life and all you've got is a knife use the pointy end. If you think you just can punch your way out you didn't need the knife then.

You might as well wonder why NASA Scientist won't debate you on the moon being made of cheese. The premise is too ludicrous to entertain.

This is not an ad hominem attack since you're presenting yourself as knowledgeable; we can discuss your CV. All of it.

Good luck with your blade based weapons training, lets hope you show your instructors more respect than people you converse with on Bladeforums.

Sometimes , you just have to make due with what you've got handy .

I once fended off a big dog with only my large golf umbrella .

He was charging full bore at me and I forcefully popped open the umbrella right into his face at short range .

I guess he had no experience with this because it scared him enough to send him back to his yard , completely cowed .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back