Modern Traditionals....;)

I ran this Artisan Cutlery Biome by Frank and Gary just to be safe, and it seems like a good fit for this thread.

At 1.4 oz. and just 8 mm thick at its widest point, it's a little feather in my pocket. In a concealed departure from tradition, it uses a hidden stop pin rather than a kick to prevent blade rap. Whatever Baron von Torxenbacher's descendants might say, those screws are a not-at-all-concealed departure... :eek::D

Walk is decent and talk is quite nice. It has a hidden lanyard attachment near the butt and a somewhat light/mushy half-stop (still functional, though). Overall I quite like it, especially for $30 and in Sandvik 12C27N steel, and if jade G10 isn't your thing it also comes in CF, black, and blue-gray. :)

WZrcIev.jpg
I rather like the looks of that knife, maybe more so with different covers. The blade shape is very appealing to me.

Modern tradtionals seem to be getting pretty popular. This year's forum knife is one.

full

About two years back I became curious about these modern traditionals. The CK Lionsteel sheep foot wound up taking over my right front pocket nearly every day since. Recently I acquired the CK Viper sowbelly, and it has taken over that job. What I like about these knives is they are very lite, the modern steel holds an edge for a long time.

I also took up cycling about two years ago, and when I ride, I sweat, Profusely. I had taken rides with my GEC's in pocket and they got deep pepper spots on the exposed portion of the blades. I don't have to think twice about carrying these knives in that regard, and also, I just like them.

<snip>
About two years back I became curious about these modern traditionals. The CK Lionsteel sheep foot wound up taking over my right front pocket nearly every day since. Recently I acquired the CK Viper sowbelly, and it has taken over that job. What I like about these knives is they are very lite, the modern steel holds an edge for a long time.

I also took up cycling about two years ago, and when I ride, I sweat, Profusely. I had taken rides with my GEC's in pocket and they got deep pepper spots on the exposed portion of the blades. I don't have to think twice about carrying these knives in that regard, and also, I just like them.

Somehow I missed this - I thought I commented back in August. :confused:

Anywhos. I really like my Roundhead and Shuffler. Agreed about the lightness and steel, I'm also a fan of the way the metal edges have been radiused and the backspring being flush at half-stop. I've been eyeing that Viper after seeing IRL photos (including yours) here in the forums.

So, after a few months of use, have your impressions on the Viper changed?

This arrived today from Romania - a modern traditional or a reimagined classic?

I call it the - BOGDANEL

View attachment 1423412

• The blade O2 core San Mai steel with a full flat grind and a micro second bevel for a little support taking into account that the core is app 62-63 HRC.

• Handle is a 3 tone micarta combo with a black liner and two brown tones on the sides.

• The collars are the Opinel ones that were sanded and finished to match the custom made setup

• Overall it is app 6.3" with a 2.35" blade.

BY @BogdanS ~ who to my mind, is an artist knife maker for the people :) :thumbsup:

This is my 2nd from Bogdan. Each a new classic in my collection.

View attachment 1423411

View attachment 1423413

That's a unique take on the style. Cool knife! :thumbsup:

Somehow I missed this - I thought I commented back in August. :confused:

Anywhos. I really like my Roundhead and Shuffler. Agreed about the lightness and steel, I'm also a fan of the way the metal edges have been radiused and the backspring being flush at half-stop. I've been eyeing that Viper after seeing IRL photos (including yours) here in the forums.

So, after a few months of use, have your impressions on the Viper changed?
Not one bit, I love this knife. It has a firm pull, and the spring keeps it securely open. I really like how nicely the grinds were done on the blade and fit & finish all around is excellent. Still using the factory edge! I am really sold on these modern traditional knives. I think M390 is now my favorite blade steel.

Not one bit, I love this knife. It has a firm pull, and the spring keeps it securely open. I really like how nicely the grinds were done on the blade and fit & finish all around is excellent. Still using the factory edge! I am really sold on these modern traditional knives. I think M390 is now my favorite blade steel.

Thanks!

I haven't had mine as long, but so far I am liking M390 as well.

Top to bottom, lionSTEEL CK01 Shuffler, Al Mar 3002A SERE, Boker Boxer, lionSTEEL CK01 Roundhead. Not sure if the Boker and Al Mar qualify as Modern Traditionals, or just Traditionals.
original.jpg

edit - after looking at the rules again, re-done photo without the GP as the walker-type liner lock is not a traditional design.

Wow. That Boker Boxer is stunning.

Italian cousins...clip point, titanium, green G10, and M390

Yes, one is a liner lock, and has a clip, but I really like the “evolution” of traditionals...it just looks “barlowish” to me. My nephew is an up and coming outdoorsman (moderns are his thing), and always wants to see what I’m carrying, so of course I show him. I realize he’s learning the terminology, but I nearly fell over when he asked me “what’s a Barlow?” :eek:
I guess I’m going to have to clean up an old one for the little guy. He needs a traditional or two anyway.

Last edited:
image.jpeg image.jpeg This is a knife that was made by Tim Wright who was a presenter at the Ashokan Hammerin in October, 2017. The photos are by "SharpByCoop.com". Tim discussed precision machining and jig making.
Check out the rubber cushion for the blade tip. The tool kit and oiler are custom made for the knife. The blade stop appears to be an adjustable screw.

This arrived today from Romania - a modern traditional or a reimagined classic?

I call it the - BOGDANEL

View attachment 1423412

• The blade O2 core San Mai steel with a full flat grind and a micro second bevel for a little support taking into account that the core is app 62-63 HRC.

• Handle is a 3 tone micarta combo with a black liner and two brown tones on the sides.

• The collars are the Opinel ones that were sanded and finished to match the custom made setup

• Overall it is app 6.3" with a 2.35" blade.

BY @BogdanS ~ who to my mind, is an artist knife maker for the people :) :thumbsup:

This is my 2nd from Bogdan. Each a new classic in my collection.

View attachment 1423411

View attachment 1423413

That's pretty cool right there, nice one sir!

Adding this one I just got to this thread;

Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

G2

Back