Modern Traditionals....;)

iw1XKIq.jpg

I would like to put out a request...

When you post a pic of a knife, PLEASE put a couple of words in about who made it, model, that type of thing. I see SO many posts of just a pic, then have to respond, asking "what is that knife? Who makes it?"... not that I terribly mind doing that, but it simply takes up space and time, especially if the poster is not watching the thread. A couple of pages back, there were three or four posts in a row with really nice looking knives in them, with no details given at all....

ok... semi-rant off. :) back to your regularly scheduled programming.

I think this is my only "modern traditional":
piAQhcI.jpg

(Gift from @timberweasel.) It is a spring knife ("slipjoint"), has a traditional handle material (curly birch), a drop point blade (which I believe is acceptable in a traditional knife), and opens the traditional way with a nail nick (although it can be pinched open). What makes it seem modern to me--besides the steel--is the shape of the handle and the pivot. Looks a little "modern" to me, but I love it. Lightweight, fits great in the hand, and the wood gives a nice grip. Don't know much about the steel (AN 58), but it's sharp and cuts fine. The knife is by Miguel Nieto from Spain.

I'm expanding my horizons! :)

Talk about forgetting you have a knife in your pocket.... That dude comes in around 1.25 ounces.

Well that’s a pretty good selling point. :D :thumbsup: I think I’d like it better with plain/smooth Micarta scales rather than the texture and faux bolster, but that’s just my preference.

Out of curiosity, Mike, do you know if there will be another run of spearpoint LionSteel Barlows some time? All the recent talk about forum knife possibilities got me thinking maybe I ought to try one. :D

Well that’s a pretty good selling point. :D :thumbsup: I think I’d like it better with plain/smooth Micarta scales rather than the texture and faux bolster, but that’s just my preference.

Out of curiosity, Mike, do you know if there will be another run of spearpoint LionSteel Barlows some time? All the recent talk about forum knife possibilities got me thinking maybe I ought to try one. :D

Alway something..... :D

The Shuffler and Roundhead in generally the same setups will be coming later on.

Top to bottom, lionSTEEL CK01 Shuffler, Al Mar 3002A SERE, Boker Boxer, lionSTEEL CK01 Roundhead. Not sure if the Boker and Al Mar qualify as Modern Traditionals, or just Traditionals.
original.jpg

edit - after looking at the rules again, re-done photo without the GP as the walker-type liner lock is not a traditional design.

Last edited:
Back