My first and last order at HI

Ferrous- for goodness sakes! The UN would never have done a thing- not as long as France and Germany had oil contracts with Iraq. The French even had as a term of the contract that they would lobby the UN to drop sanctions-

And the worst problems over there are not 'over there' but in a small section known as the Sunni Triangle.

The majority of Iraq is glad we are there.

munk

All,

I have a few deployments under my belt. I may be getting the impression that Oliver has ulterior motives for deploying w/ a 1st quality (vice used or villager) Khukri. It may be along the lines of those who purposely deploy wearing a Rolex, Breitling or Omega watch. The actual purpose is those who you are working for and with, and not the actual superiority of the watch. I have a Rolex and wear it for just that purpose while a G-Shock is better for actual stepping off times.

I also get the feeling that Oliver is using “American” as a 2nd language and there is genuine misunderstanding.

If he had posted asking for help in getting him a (multiple Khukris) via U.S. military something could probably been arranged. If an arrangement is made where he wants a HI Khukri still I will personally take to the sand box. Arranging the meeting may take some doing from the sounds of the change and the handover looming.

The alternative is have any Khukris taken to Denmark w/an exercise in June. I will not be on this but I will have Marines and they can take it with them to give to Oliver’s designated representative.

On the not being ready for deployment. I personally attempt (until the mandatory MOLLE fiasco) to keep multiple sets of gear ready on short notice. It is rare that I have more than two weeks notice. This time I was going just a matter of where; Iraq, Stans, or HOA. I was short of gear for a while as I gave personal gear to Marines who were deploying and had the wrong gear for the mission. I did not get all the gear back but did get back the Marines and Sailors so the price was cheap.

Now I have to finish getting my stuff ready for deployment. Reported here 23 December and was told to change into a flight suit, take NATOPS test, instrument test, get a medical up-chit then meet the Col.s at an airplane 1300 for both annual check rides. My statement that I hadn’t flown in about a year and a half was answered by “I heard you cab fly, this’ll be a good test so we’ll see.” Left CONUS for some overseas stuff 28 December. Now after the movers destroyed lots of stuff and those claims… My point is that Oliver may not be just sitting around waiting to go on deployment w/ month(s) notice and nothing to do.

Oliver,

I am back flying so will be at the USMC main airfield. Will try and bring adult beverages and some cigars. Have already figured a way to get island cigars via FedEx directly from Switzerland to there drop off location, not cheap but… .

S/F, FOG

I'm just glad to see this was resolved amicably. This is indeed the forum I know and love. :cool:

Roadrunner said:
I'm just glad to see this was resolved amicably. This is indeed the forum I know and love. :cool:

Now if we could just find a way to get ahold of those cigars? :D

Just kidding FogII....best of luck to ya' and stay safe

Hehe, I know. FOG you really got my attention when you mentioned those island cigars! I had a few good ones while I was in Korea, they are something else. Enjoy them when you get the chance!

On the cigars, just come on over and get them while OCONUS J. Actually there are some good non-island cigars.

One of my little tests for the Rolex/Gucci/Perrier cigar snobs is to give them a couple of cigars. The trick is I swap the labels before hand. Those that can tell and appreciate the difference will mention in one form or another about the difference. The posers will go just by the label.

I would say the majority of island cigars being sold over there now are fakes; it’s a lucrative market. The other interesting part is the real aficionados generally thought the original island cigars coming out of there were fakes. The kind of forgot that those bringing them out lacked proper storage and transport facilities and the cigars showed it.

Actually the only reason I changed the login from FOG to FOG II is that I can’t log in under FOG from here and emails went to my civilian overseas account that has been terminated. Thus the II so the folks here can figure out who I am.

S/F, FOG

"I would say the majority of island cigars being sold over there now are fakes; it’s a lucrative market...... The kind of forgot that those bringing them out lacked proper storage and transport facilities and the cigars showed it." Fog

Cohiba has certainly had it's problems.

Humidity is the key....several friends bring me back cigars from their trips only not to have stored them properly....I smoke them anyways....they thought enough of me to even bring me back something. But when properly humidified, they can be the best (island cigars)

Which reminds me.....need to refill the humidifier.....

StmmZaum said:
Oli, mind me asking who you are deploying with? Obviously I don't mean anything you shouldn't tell me but which army and what kinda job? I know a couple of chaps just back from 'the sand box' and they had anything but an interesting time. Over here the situation is getting weird, even TA soldiers who aren't doing a UT are winding up doing guard duties and menial tasks to free up the regulars. That was the thing that stopped me from joining the Terratorials last year, they keep sending people to Iraq and don't have the time or staff for training!

Please send me your E-mail adress, I'll tell ya some things ;)

FOGII, I have a slighty preference for single malt, I'll start to gather some good stuff untill you arrive :D we can talk off the forum about how and where to meet :D

Phew! After reading through this thread, I'm exhausted. Anyone feel like a XXXX (by the way that doesn't mean four kisses, not for you ugly lot). I'm a bit different to most of you blokes, it doesn't take much to exhaust me these days. These days, "deployment" for me means running out of beer and visiting the neighbour to restock (but only XXXX brand). I then really need my khukuri to keep those other basta..... away from my XXXX on the return journey (about 25 metres).

I am glad that this thread is reaching an amicable conclusion. I hope and pray those of you on "real" deployment (versus my style of deployment) do keep out of harm's way.

By the way, if you all hadn't noticed it, the one thing this thread did show conclusively was something we all knew, that Uncle Bill is the most respected internet dealer around and we all miss him and love him and look forward to the day he can once again share a XXXX with us without having to worry about his health problems. :)

Glad this got resolved, gents. We have enough bad guys to fight without fussin' amongst ourselves.

And for you troops who are out there sweating, fighting, bleeding and sometimes dying, please know that there are a lot of people praying for your safe returns.

Every single day I pray to God and ask him to please get Iraq and those other places unf*cked so ya'll can come back home. Sorry for the barracks language, but old habits die hard. If I were younger and lighter with two working knees I'd be out there taking scalps with the rest of you.

I've spent every day since I left the Army pacing like a crippled tiger in a cage, and ever since 9/11 I've paced all the faster as my frustration grows at my ever failing health.

Keep yourselves sharp, gents. Don't ever forget, not that you need an old fart to remind you, to never take anything for granted - there are a lot of folks out there just looking for an opportunity to kill you, and a bunch of them don't mind dying in the process. So, see them first, kill them first, and then come on back home, regardless whether your home is in the US, Britain, Australia, Denmark, Poland or where ever.

Don

again again sorry guys...specialy to Bill... he for sure didn't deserv this kind of thread specialy those days... :( Just wanted to let you know that everything is fine now between Bill and me. I did apologized to him and as the kind man he is he accepted my apologizes. ;)

Ferrous,

I prefer something a little stronger, actually a lot stronger.

Oliver,

I’ll shoot you an email via my .mil email address. There are some (ok maybe more than one or two) single malts I like. Actually they’re kind of expensive over here so usually sip Makers Mark or maybe bookers. On the single malt I like the smokier peatier kinds w/Talisker being a favorite.

S/F, FOG

DEAL! :D Lagavulin 16 years old is cool for me, or a good cardhu...damn I have to get a glass! cheers! :)

FOG II said:
On the single malt I like the smokier peatier kinds w/Talisker being a favorite.

S/F, FOG

Oliver's right: Lagavulin is up there with the smokiest/peatiest single-malts I've ever had. :)

I wish I could send you gentleman a bottle of Cuve'e du Centenaire. Mine is locked in the gun safe for those critical times. ;)

Oliver finished my jog (pack, and boots) some bag work and calisthenics. Just finished a nice Bolivar Fuerte and Makers while the smoker is working on a couple of steaks and some bread.

Saw some Lagavulin16 at the package store for $53.00. Thought about it and went back, it was gone.

Sam, appreciate the offer. As you know Iraq is alcohol free J.

S/F, FOG

Back