My first real "batch" WIP

What kind of oil are you soaking them in and for how long? those oops we all make are sure educational. I've decided I do like that one with the swedge better than without.

What kind of oil are you soaking them in and for how long? those oops we all make are sure educational. I've decided I do like that one with the swedge better than without.

I've been using sunflower oil and soaking for at least 24 hours. I want to try something like true oil though.

I use Tru Oil. Sometimes I like it sometimes I cuss it. I've been tending to use more and more woods that don't really need finishing like Bocote, Ironwood, Cocobolo etc. I've never heard of the sunflower oil soak deal though. Finish looks nice in your pics. With your day job I'd think you'd have quite a bit of expertise in this field. Or are the results needed too diffferent? I mean the difference in finish from a nice piece of furniture to a rough ands tumble to be used outside for everything knife.

Last edited:
I use Tru Oil. Sometimes I like it sometimes I cuss it. I've been tending to use more and more woods that don't really need finishing like Bocote, Ironwood, Cocobolo etc. I've never heard of the sunflower oil soak deal though. Finish looks nice in your pics. With your day job I'd think you'd have quite a bit of expertise in this field. Or are the results needed too diffferent? I mean the difference in finish from a nice piece of furniture to a rough ands tumble to be used outside for everything knife.

Most of the finishes at work are spray on. Lacquer, 2 pac, 3 pac etc. so it's a different process. Sand to 240 max before sealing. Then up to 600 for finish coat.

I like sunflower oil because it penetrates and is super easy for the user to re-apply as the years go by. Apart from that it's food friendly. I keep my timber cutting boards oiled with sunflower or vege oil. That's my thinking anyway. I'm no expert on finishings.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I'm new to knife-making and I started reading this thread. It's really great. I hope you don't mind if I sit in.

Back