My first real "batch" WIP

Another small update. Two more ready to glue. Wenge on the bigger. Wenge/american oak on the smaller. It's probably the blade furthest away from my usual style (if i had one yet). So i thought i'd go all out and put some unusual scales on too.

20111029153905.jpg

Here's sanding up the front of the scales before gluing.

20111106124130.jpg

Handle sanded up to 2000 and oiled.

20111109185149.jpg

Unfortunately when I was sanding in the pinch points on the grinder the blade touched the belt and cut straight through the masking tape :grumpy: So now I've got a nasty 40grit divot near my makers mark. I don't really know what to do to fix it. It's visable looking down from the spine. So just sanding it out isn't really an option. Unless i put a bit of a flase edge on it? Thoughts? suggestions?

Thanks,
Tim.

Beautiful finishing Tim. Your makers mark etched very clean and dark this time and it looks great :thumbup:

I've done that a few times too Tim. Darn near the same spot too. Rounding the spine has worked for me.

Forgot to mention that I've really enjoyed following this Tim. VERY NICE work. So do you tyhink you save time doing things in batches?

Thanks horse. At least I'm not the only one ;)

I'm guessing it saves time. I more did it to get a better picture of how long things take me.

Cool WIP, I pretty much do the same, except it's mostly forged blades, and now that I've got an oven and a source of liquid nitrogen one or two stainless blades.

Cool WIP, I pretty much do the same, except it's mostly forged blades, and now that I've got an oven and a source of liquid nitrogen one or two stainless blades.

Now that I'm moving out onto some property, I'd like to to build a forge and try the old hammer and tong.

I ended up doing a bit of a rounded swedge. I don't know if it looks any good but at least it looks intentional.

20111112164718.jpg

Voila you sure took care of that divot Tim. Have ya thought on doing the pinch prior to installing? I actually really like that swedge look it works on that knife. I may like it better with than with out. That one sure looks like it would feel good in the hand!

Those are looking very nice, Tim. I really like the wenge/oak scales.

Thanks Zaph. I've just glued the jarrah/ebony one up but after that I'll do the wendge4/oak.

Voila you sure took care of that divot Tim. Have ya thought on doing the pinch prior to installing? I actually really like that swedge look it works on that knife. I may like it better with than with out. That one sure looks like it would feel good in the hand!

It does feel good in hand. A real nice handful.

Yeah, i should have done the pinch first. I rarely plan things though.

The swedge looks great man, I think you pulled it off well!

Cheers Wolfy.

This is what goes on under the scales to keep them on there. I drill shallow holes through the weight reduction holes. So when I glue it the epoxy goes through the knife and and joins the holes on the other side. Like epoxy pins.

20111113094332.jpg

Last edited:
Next one is just about done. Just needs a sharpen and a longer soak in oil.

20111113162824.jpg

I might make this my entry for KITH. It turned out pretty good and it's something a bit different.

Back