My most used SAK tool, what's yours

The corkscrew was something I thought I had to have. I don't use it often enough to justify it. Especially since I learned the "knife trick". This is opening up the world of Alox for me.
Not a big fan of the saw either.

Hmmm... What is this "knife trick?" First I've heard of it.
I'm a big fan of the saw. If I'm going to the woods. It is as good as, and I think maybe better than, the wood saw on my Wave. It can power through surprisingly large branches pretty easily. It's great for helping construct hunting blinds without having to pack a saw. But for urban/suburban carry, I never use it. So the Soldier goes with me on the street, the Farmer goes with me to the woods.

That is not something I had thought of, but will try. I recently got new boots, the kind that lace to the toe. It is very difficult to get the laces tight u near e toe. I think I just figured out how. Geez, that would mean I would have to change up my carry, though. :grrrr:

Rockspyder, if you do a search on YouTube for opening wine bottle without corkscrew. You'll find various methods.
One is to carefully insert a sharp thin blade straight into the cork. Turn the blade (or bottle) and the cork will begin to come out. Once it's about half way, remove the knife. Then pull the cork free. It's easier with synthetic corks, but works with natural ones too.
While obviously a real corkscrew is better. This works on a pinch. I no longer make having a corkscrew on my person a priority. I've never had a "WINE EMERGENCY!" If I ever do? Now I've got a back up plan.

No such thing as a "most useful" SAK tool to me, almost all of them are useful. But I can tell you which tool was the least useful, the corkscrew. I never used it and probably never will.

Rockspyder, if you do a search on YouTube for opening wine bottle without corkscrew. You'll find various methods.
One is to carefully insert a sharp thin blade straight into the cork. Turn the blade (or bottle) and the cork will begin to come out. Once it's about half way, remove the knife. Then pull the cork free. It's easier with synthetic corks, but works with natural ones too.
While obviously a real corkscrew is better. This works on a pinch. I no longer make having a corkscrew on my person a priority. I've never had a "WINE EMERGENCY!" If I ever do? Now I've got a back up plan.

You've NEVER had a wine emergency?! I'm sure I have... sometime. Don't recall when...

Thanks for the steerage on youtube.

Back