My rehandle and shield projects (with tutorials)

waverave

Collector of Tortoise Shell
Platinum Member
Look out world...I'm learning how to modify slipjoints! This really opens up some creative doors for me :thumbsup:

Camillus TL-29 Beginner's Rehandling Project - not perfect by any means but it was a great learning experience.
Camillus_TL29_tortoise_01.jpg
Camillus_TL29_tortoise_02.jpg

Looks awfully good to me, lotsa depth in those scales.:thumbsup:
Thank you sir :thumbsup:

That looks pretty amazing, Darren! Wouldn't have said you were just learning! Nice job. I need to try my hand at that sometime, just haven't done it yet.
Thank you sir :thumbsup: I kept telling myself the same thing and then finally pulled the trigger. If you ever want to give it a go let me know and I can pass on my lesson's learned :) (quite a few of them)

That is one nice job there matey- I actually wish I could do that- seeing your whole process and mistakes and how you recovered from them would be extremely interesting reading in this Thread my friend! Great Job!:) :thumbsup:
Thanks Duncan great idea. I didn't take any in-process photos this time but definitely will for the next project :thumbsup:

Looks mighty good to me.
Did you reprofile the screwdriver blade or get the sheepsfoot from a donor knife?
Either way, a useful blade combination. :)

Looks mighty good to me.
Did you reprofile the screwdriver blade or get the sheepsfoot from a donor knife?
Either way, a useful blade combination. :)
Thanks! That is how it came. I'm not too savvy on the history of the TL-29 but wondering if there were different configurations instead of electrician's version?

Looks great! What books/videos/forum posts did you use to learn how to do the recover?
Actually just a few YouTube videos to help learn how to peen and a lot of patience from some folks that answered my questions. @Terdl76 provided me with a lot of help. The rest I am just figuring out on my own.

Actually just a few YouTube videos to help learn how to peen and a lot of patience from some folks that answered my questions. @Terdl76 provided me with a lot of help. The rest I am just figuring out on my own.
Thank you! It looks great. I hope you take some WIP photos next time!

That came out beautifully :thumbsup:
Great job :)
I have done one recover project on a traditional and plan on doing others on a few moderns I have.
For me it was getting the right equipment-- like a dremel, sanders and buffers, etc.

It sure opens up possibilities :)

Back