My rehandle and shield projects (with tutorials)

I have a lot of projects in the works or lined up but just haven't had any shop time lately.
I have another 15 clip I want to rehandle and Id like to redo the pivot pin in the buffalo horn version so it blends. I had envisioned coining the liners on that one but wasn't quite ready for that yet.
I am also working on shadow patterns. I took a 78 blade and spring and made my own liners. I am using that as a learning project as I dive into more advanced knife making.
I have a NF 86 that Id like to make new liners for and convert to a barlow (I have a spot welder now).
I have a 72 that I am itching to rehandle as well.
I have so much that I want to do but will have to be patient and wait until after the holidays to get back to it.
thank you for the update! 2020 is shaping up to be an exciting year.

How are you making your own liners? Did you get a mill?

thank you for the update! 2020 is shaping up to be an exciting year.

How are you making your own liners? Did you get a mill?
No I use sheet metal and grind it to shape. For the 78 project I am using nickel silver sheet but I have stainless and brass too :thumbsup: I thought it would be cool to make some shadow patterns and have the ability to do all-steel conversions as well.

No I use sheet metal and grind it to shape. For the 78 project I am using nickel silver sheet but I have stainless and brass too :thumbsup: I thought it would be cool to make some shadow patterns and have the ability to do all-steel conversions as well.
Very cool idea!

Ok after many attempts at modding a Peanut...I finally had some success.
I went for a full shadow pattern, single blade, in maroon linen micarta.
These Peanuts are a P.I.T.A.!!! Having said that, I am very happy with how this turned out. The blade is even straight. I will polish it up and take some glamour shots when have time.
Peanut_Micarta_Shadow_01.jpg
Peanut_Micarta_Shadow_02.jpg
Peanut_Micarta_Shadow_03.jpg

Ok after many attempts at modding a Peanut...I finally had some success.
I went for a full shadow pattern, single blade, in maroon linen micarta.
These Peanuts are a P.I.T.A.!!! Having said that, I am very happy with how this turned out. The blade is even straight. I will polish it up and take some glamour shots when have time.
View attachment 1263553
View attachment 1263554
View attachment 1263555

looks great! Why are they harder to work with than other knives?

looks great! Why are they harder to work with than other knives?
Just much less forgiving than a bigger knife. It has to be exact and the scales are really thin. It was actually easier to do a shadow pattern because I was able to leave the scales a little thicker than normal. Plus, micarta is practically indestructible. In my previous attempts, I used wood or bone.

I've been searching for a Northfield 72 for a while and finally came across one that was a great candidate to rehandle.
My first attempt, I decided to go with some Ironwood. Everything was going just fine...right up until I split the wood :(
IMG-6844.JPG
At least I didn't inlay a shield yet at that point but still rather frustrating considering I only have small bits of time to work with over the days and weeks.
My first thought was that, for sure, I am only working with micarta and acrylic moving forward. Then I started thinking about how much I always wanted one of these in a black wood...so I decided to give it another shot except this time with African Blackwood.
Over the course of several days chipping away at it things looked great. I was very careful pinning the scales as not to crack anything, installed the shield, shaped everything, and then I went to test fit everything before pinning it up and made one little wrong move...and ruined.
IMG-6880.JPG
So frustrating! I know exactly what I did wrong. I simply left the fit a little too snug and didn't take the time to go back and fix it properly.
Patience is everything :) Proper fit is everything! Back to my schoolwork and hopefully I'll get another chance to redeem myself this weekend.

On a very positive note...I got the ok to attend a week-long slipjoint knife making school this August at the Bill Moran School of Bladesmithing in Texarkana. I have been in contact with the school and will register as soon as they make it available to do so. Rehandles are fun and all...but I want to make my own at some point :thumbsup:

That will be so fun and exciting. Congratulations.
Thank you I am very excited for the opportunity :thumbsup: The class is only 6 students and I'm not sure if they offer more than once or twice a year. At a minimum, I am hoping to learn enough to take next steps towards where I want to go. This will be my first real training from a master builder so I am going to learn everything I can.

Bummer Darren! I've been there. That's awesome your attending the class. Someday I want to follow the same path. My biggest obstacle right now is space! Good luck. I'm sure you'll do great!

I really really like the shape of that peanut...nice job...if I may offer a suggestion and not in my usual vein of fatuous humor...?
I think the name should be Cashew....slightly bigger, more shapely and tastes better...
You will get a lot out of the knifesmithing workshop...Enjoy.
Cheers.

I really really like the shape of that peanut...nice job...if I may offer a suggestion and not in my usual vein of fatuous humor...?
I think the name should be Cashew....slightly bigger, more shapely and tastes better...
You will get a lot out of the knifesmithing workshop...Enjoy.
Cheers.
Love it...the Cashew it is :)

Third attempt!
I always wanted a Northfield 72 in AB but one never came my way (understandably)...so I put one together. I like working with the lockbacks and this 72 is a really nice size. I'll probably carry this one actually.
GEC_72_AB.jpg

Last edited:
Back