My rehandle and shield projects (with tutorials)

Nice. Looks like you figured out how to blend the pivot pin. :thumbsup:
Thanks! Yes as long as I can match the metal type I think I have it down. I picked up a filing block and that was a game changer.
Sometimes the stainless is a little tricky because you have to match the type of steel or it might not blend. The pile side on this one shows the pin more but the show side came out pretty decent.

Thanks! Yes as long as I can match the metal type I think I have it down. I picked up a filing block and that was a game changer.
Sometimes the stainless is a little tricky because you have to match the type of steel or it might not blend. The pile side on this one shows the pin more but the show side came out pretty decent.
What is a filing block?

What is a filing block?
It is a really simple jig made with hardened steel so you can do precision file work.
Here is what it looks like...using it here to do some bolster work without damaging the handle material.
FilingBlock_02.jpg
I decided to put some rubber mat on the inside to protect the knife...shown here supported in a vise.
FilingBlock_01.jpg

It is a really simple jig made with hardened steel so you can do precision file work.
Here is what it looks like...using it here to do some bolster work without damaging the handle material.
View attachment 1218756
I decided to put some rubber mat on the inside to protect the knife...shown here supported in a vise.
View attachment 1218755
Thank you! Pics are so helpful. I’ve heard that same tool called a file guide. File block makes sense too.

Finally had time to work on things...and got this project done (the right way this time).
It still cost me a few more 1/32" router bits but it went a lot better this time. I stuck a .008" feeler in between the blade and liner when I peened the pivot pin and it worked great.
Next I need to work on getting the pivot pin to blend with the bolsters better...not easy to do!
Anyway, I really like how this turned out.
View attachment 1200977
Another RR project...this one in Pau Ferro.
View attachment 1218616
Darren, those are really attractive shields that I don’t believe I have seen before. Did you design them?

While it is very easy to show off success stories...I thought it would be "fun" to show some of my failures. At this point, the failure to success rate is around 10:1 :)
First of all...wenge wood. No. Just no. ALL CAPS NO. I can't imagine a use for this stuff in the traditional world.
I'm pulling it all off and starting over.
RR_wenge.jpg

Next up, a neat little all-steel Tidioute #15 barehead project. Things were coming along very nicely. I took a lot of time and care to dome the 1/16" NS pins in there without damaging any of the bone. Fit it all together and got the pivot, spring and bottom pins started...looking good.
GEC_15_blue_bone.jpg

Then one or two little taps on the spring pin and the whole pile side scale cracked in half.
GEC_15_blue_bone_failure.jpg

I noticed the color of the bone was a little off right in that area and turns out there was a tiny little defect in the bone that caused the failure. I must have spent a solid 2-3 hours up until that point making sure I was very careful and delicate with that bone. I used a 1oz hammer. I don't think I actually did anything wrong and it still went right out the window. Patience, above all, is required for this hobby :)

I got started on a NF #29 project that I've been wanting to work on to showcase all of the skills I've picked up to this point...my final exam of sorts. Blade delete, rehandle, shield inlay, NF trim (polished), double bolsters and a slight notch for easier punch blade access.
Got it apart no problem (I am really good at taking things apart lol) and got the scales roughly fit. When I was trying to fine tune the fit between the bolsters, I sanded just a hair too much away. And just like that, I had to start over. Barehead configurations are much easier to deal with...two bolsters is really, really difficult to fit.
After a much needed break from the shop, I returned to start again. This time, I went about it a little differently and got the scales to fit up nicely. Patience. Patience. More patience. I had enough time to get one side shaped but not sure when I'll get a chance to continue with the rest. Hopefully soon! This is the project I had in mind from the very beginning when I started learning how to mod :)
GEC_29_tortoise_preview.jpg

Good stuff Darren, I’ve enjoyed following along on your progression into this aspect of the hobby.

Looks great Darren! Was it difficult getting the blades back centered with this one? Pinched bolsters look like a PITA to refinish.
As long as the knife is centered before taking apart and the geometry wasn't changed during the mod, it should fall back into place. Having said that, it means you have to get the pins installed properly and perfectly straight. I goofed the alignment on several attempts at modding thus far because I incorrectly peened the pivot pin (the spring and liners won't sit flush either in that case).
The pinched bolsters were relatively painless because I didn't really touch them in the process. They remained polished, for the most part, and I just worked the area below them. If the pinch gets dinged or scratched then yes...for sure it takes some finesse and extra time to get them back in order.

Last edited:
Well...I considered this my final project. I would give myself a B- :) I still have much to learn and it didn't turn out perfect by any means...but I really like it.
The Northfield #291219HJ
View attachment 1230380
View attachment 1230381
View attachment 1230382
Looks great to me. When you say “final project” do you mean final like putting together all the elements you’ve learned or final like you’re not going to do any more? Looks like you’ve really got a knack for this and it would be a shame to stop now.

Looks great to me. When you say “final project” do you mean final like putting together all the elements you’ve learned or final like you’re not going to do any more? Looks like you’ve really got a knack for this and it would be a shame to stop now.
Thanks! I meant final project like putting together all the elements I've learned so far :thumbsup: No way I'd stop now...I am vested :)

Back