My Spyderco Delica 4 FFG

Folks and SpyderFreaks,

We most definitely have a CONTENDER on our hands. . . .

Very nice pics, but if you're doing comparison shots, you need to be right above them for the shot. In all the pics, the Delica looks longer because of the angle you are holding the camera at, except the third pic. Please don't be offended. Most people do this, and you can't really tell proper dimensions, because farther away, things appear smaller.

efdd9432266b5b89e1eeedd0cc2bbdf6.jpg

I've been basically forcing myself to carry my Delica for the past week. I've enjoyed it more than I thought, but the Native 5 is still king of the lightweight EDC category for me. Now if only Ripp would make a machined clip for my N5LW!! [emoji7][emoji7]

I much prefer the thinner blade stock used on the Delica over the Para 3. Lately I've been alternating between the N5 LW (S110V) and the Delica (HAP40) as a daily carry. I've been selling off all my other folders (except the Endura). Those 3 pretty much cover all the bases for me.

Very nice pics, but if you're doing comparison shots, you need to be right above them for the shot. In all the pics, the Delica looks longer because of the angle you are holding the camera at, except the third pic. Please don't be offended. Most people do this, and you can't really tell proper dimensions, because farther away, things appear smaller.

Hey jazzz--thanks for the tip! If I were to be offended by a fellow Spydie enthusiasts helpful suggestion then I should invest in some thicker skin!

efdd9432266b5b89e1eeedd0cc2bbdf6.jpg

I've been basically forcing myself to carry my Delica for the past week. I've enjoyed it more than I thought, but the Native 5 is still king of the lightweight EDC category for me. Now if only Ripp would make a machined clip for my N5LW!! [emoji7][emoji7]

PM sent--I would like some 411 on that clip!

I much prefer the thinner blade stock used on the Delica over the Para 3. Lately I've been alternating between the N5 LW (S110V) and the Delica (HAP40) as a daily carry. I've been selling off all my other folders (except the Endura). Those 3 pretty much cover all the bases for me.

It sounds like I need to try out a Native 5 in my next matchup!

Well ..........

Situation report please.

I need to know if this " Flash in the Pan " PM3 has corrupted your logical , sensible , traditional , truth seeing brain . :)

Ken

At this point I have only handled, carried, and fondled the Para3. The only task it has completed is opening the mail! At this point it has been nothing more than pocket jewelry. That being said, that is actually one of the reasons I love to carry a blade--just to have it. So, I guess I am admitting that "pocket jewelry" is actually a large part of the consideration for my EDC!

So far, my experience has been very similar to that which I had with the Lil' Para mod Delica. Here are a few thoughts so far on the Para3:

>grip--when holding the grip in standard hold the fingers are just a little lacking in sufficient room and the pinky ends up getting a little short on space.
>choil--the choil itself is sweet and a great feature to this knife, but when not using the choil the grip is just a touch further back from the pivot than it is on the Delica and this makes it feel a little less comfortable for me.
>butt protrusion (sounds odd)--when pocketed it feels like there is a bit more real estate of the butt end exposed outside the pocket. The overall cubic space protruding is just slightly more than the Delica and thus making it feel less discreet. I suppose a deep carry clip would resolve this. I have one laying around I may try. I have been itching to get a Casey Lynch clip, but those are impossible to get now.
>width--the Delica is much more slim and elegant and takes up less pocket space, but this may or may not be a pro or a con.
>G10 vs FRN--FRN wins out on this one. It has a softer feel without giving up any traction due to the bi-directional texturing. The G10 has a great feel in hand too, but I just prefer the FRN. Also, the FRN doesn't tend to shred a pocket as quickly as the G10 does.
>Locking mechanism--this is where the Para3 has a good edge. The compression lock is simply fantastic. Simple, solid, effective, and very fun to play with! I can't "flick" my Delica, but I have all kinds of fun flicking, popping, jiving, and all other manner of "ings" in opening the Para3.

So, those are my initial impressions, but it will take much more carry and of course, much more use for me to make any declarations one way or the other.

Stay tuned--more to come!

You should be able to flick your delica. Certainly not as easy as a Pm2 or 3 but it should still be flickable. I can flick mine just about any way I want. Maybe your pivot is a touch too tight.

You should be able to flick your delica. Certainly not as easy as a Pm2 or 3 but it should still be flickable. I can flick mine just about any way I want. Maybe your pivot is a touch too tight.

Hi Luke. If i loosen the pivot I get side-to-side play. I am sure there is a reasonable amount of play I could deal with if I wanted to flick it, but as it is, it is smooth and dialed in to a spot where there is virtually no play, but maybe a tad too tight to flick it. The good news is that I can flick the Para3 all I want in order to get it out of my system!

The Para3 had its first real task--some cardboard. My recycling bin is fairly large, but it fills up quickly unless you cut up the cardboard, so the Para3 went to work. The Para3 is super sharp from the factory and zipped right through the cardboard. It was a small job, but here it is:

Here are a couple shots of the Para3 in hand using the two most common grips. I held it both ways while cutting and both grips are comfortable, but not using the choil left the pinky a little cramped:

The pocket clip on the Para3 is a bit awkward. It is a bit too long and slightly uncomfortable. It reaches as far as the compression lock cutout and just felt oversized. In addition, too much butt-end real-estate protrudes from the pocket for my tastes. . . So, I switched the clip to this deep carry clip that I believe came from MXGGear (not sure as I got the clip on another knife I bought from the Exchange awhile back). The new clip fits MUCH better and makes it ride lower in the pocket--just where it should be:

Wel, I am still carrying, using, and evaluating the Para3 and how it stacks up to the Delica... more on that later.

In the meantime--here is some Delica content to love! I just received this RGT Ti clip in the mail today. It's a great clip, looks snazzy, well-made, and very comfortable. The only possible issue I can see is that the tip of the clip rests just above the FRN (see last pic below)--not sure how I feel about that. Only time will tell...

Wel, I am still carrying, using, and evaluating the Para3 and how it stacks up to the Delica... more on that later.

In the meantime--here is some Delica content to love! I just received this RGT Ti clip in the mail today. It's a great clip, looks snazzy, well-made, and very comfortable. The only possible issue I can see is that the tip of the clip rests just above the FRN (see last pic below)--not sure how I feel about that. Only time will tell...

Update: I removed the clip and ever so gently bent it just a touch. Now the tip of the clip rests just on the FRN. Not quite as tight as a standard clip, but given the design I think it will hold well. Worst case scenario I can remove the clip again and bend it a touch more.

Ruthless, which do you like better PM3 or delica?

Well, after having carried the Para3 for several days, switching it to a deep carry clip, using it for a few cutting tasks. . . . I now have a Delica back in my pocket!
The Para3 is a great knife and checks a lot of the right boxes for me, but for a "True EDC" as one of our esteemed BF Brothers called it, the Delica simply cannot be beat.

its-a-trap.gif

He better say Delica since this a thread about delicas.

Haha! See above ^^^

Well, after having carried the Para3 for several days, switching it to a deep carry clip, using it for a few cutting tasks. . . . I now have a Delica back in my pocket!
The Para3 is a great knife and checks a lot of the right boxes for me, but for a "True EDC" as one of our esteemed BF Brothers called it, the Delica simply cannot be beat.

Haha! See above ^^^

That is the exact experience I had with my Para3 (now sold). Guess what is in the pocket today?...My ZDP-189 Delica. In a funny way, I wish I continued my knife snobbery attitude and not picked up a Delica due to the FRN, steel and price point. I was very happy with my higher-end Spydercos, CRKs and Striders (and a little Cold Steel in there just because of the "fun factor"). Now that I have been carrying a Delica for well over 6 months straight, everytime I pick up a new knife and after using it a while, I just ask myself "is this a better EDC" than the Delica? The answer is always "no" The Delica is a TRUE EDC KNIFE. It also, as one other BF Member put it, is the smallest knife that can act like a big knife. I truly haven't met a task where I really needed something bigger. Yes if I need to baton through logs I would not pick a Delica, nor would I pick any folding knife or even fixed blade (that is what an axe is for, although I have done it many times with a Cold Steel just because it is so damn fun). There truly has not been one instance in over 6 months, where I needed a different knife. I am looking at my ZDP-Delica right now and shaking my laughing on the inside as this little bastard makes me question all forthcoming knife purchases. It truly is a great knife and honestly if I HAD to pick one folding knife for the rest of my life the Delica would be it. Will it stop me from buying other knives? No but once I get other knives use them a while I end up selling them as they can't kick out the Delica from my pocket. Even if I am carrying another knife throughout the day, I miss the Delica.

That is the exact experience I had with my Para3 (now sold). Guess what is in the pocket today?...My ZDP-189 Delica. In a funny way, I wish I continued my knife snobbery attitude and not picked up a Delica due to the FRN, steel and price point. I was very happy with my higher-end Spydercos, CRKs and Striders (and a little Cold Steel in there just because of the "fun factor"). Now that I have been carrying a Delica for well over 6 months straight, everytime I pick up a new knife and after using it a while, I just ask myself "is this a better EDC" than the Delica? The answer is always "no" The Delica is a TRUE EDC KNIFE. It also, as one other BF Member put it, is the smallest knife that can act like a big knife. I truly haven't met a task where I really needed something bigger. Yes if I need to baton through logs I would not pick a Delica, nor would I pick any folding knife or even fixed blade (that is what an axe is for, although I have done it many times with a Cold Steel just because it is so damn fun). There truly has not been one instance in over 6 months, where I needed a different knife. I am looking at my ZDP-Delica right now and shaking my laughing on the inside as this little bastard makes me question all forthcoming knife purchases. It truly is a great knife and honestly if I HAD to pick one folding knife for the rest of my life the Delica would be it. Will it stop me from buying other knives? No but once I get other knives use them a while I end up selling them as they can't kick out the Delica from my pocket. Even if I am carrying another knife throughout the day, I miss the Delica.

Spot on. Couldn't agree more. I have had the exact same experience. It really can't be beat.

Back