Naked and Afraid - What would you bring?

It kind of bothers me that none of the teams have thrived in their new environment. People have lived for tens or hundreds of thousands of years in some of these environments and the best trained modern men are spent after 3 weeks... Seriously?

You have to remember there is a big difference in someone who grew up scrabbling for shelter and food and clothing and someone who grew up in a modern society. Even with the best training available today its not the same.

You also rarely see jsut two people living that far from society by themselves. Having a "tribe" makes a difference where body coutn is a force multiplier. Leveraging your resources is key as one group can locate and gather /hutn enough food to feed everyone while the other is maintaining/building camp. It may take a few days, but you can "thrive" by beign a day or two ahead of the curve with supplies once you have the shelter squared away.

Also, if you are living out there task have different priorities. If I only have to last 21 days human nature is path of least resistance and to tough it out. Surprising how no one has really tried to make shoes which would make all task significantly easier.

It kind of bothers me that none of the teams have thrived in their new environment. People have lived for tens or hundreds of thousands of years in some of these environments and the best trained modern men are spent after 3 weeks... Seriously?

What's really crazy is that two people are magically dropped naked in an unfamiliar environment. I know of no historical precedence for this intentional stupidity beyond what could have been accidental. Banishment within some communities was viewed as the ultimate punishment. Why? It takes a human community, tribe or group to make it. Without that often the result was a slow painful death from exposure. This was true back in the day as it is true today.

I would take a cell phone and a credit card :).....life would improve in very short order.

n2s

Bug spray. I’m not getting eaten all over by skitters.

Also a Lifestraw thingy and a machete.

As others have also pointed out just dropping people into a new environment is completely abnormal and in actual history the situations one would have expected to see this was during large volcano eruptions dropping the global temperature and when that did happen we had mass starvation and death so its not like people living off the land handled such situations all that much better. It also wasn't just humans that died in such situations many animal and even plant species suffered large dieoffs.

Also genetic studies of remains of Native Americans show that entire tribes died out repeatedly in 200-300 year time frames and new ones moved in.
We are learning that weather pattens are not just a seasonal and annual thing, that they come in cycles across hundreds or even thousands of years that would render areas unsuitable/suitable for human habitation.

California for example has dry and wet stages and its wet cycle is ending.
California if it suffers a full dry cycle will have to use salt water distillation plants for drinking water and agriculture and industrial water use will have to stop almost completely.
USA does not produce enough power in total even if it was all used to distil water at 100% efficiency required for Cali agriculture/industrial use.

Even modern technologically advanced civilization is not immune to weather cycles and its even possible the drying of the western cost of the USA could seriously threaten the USA as an entity if up to 1/3 of its people have to relocate due to water loss.

So seeing how people are at surviving when dropped into a random environment just goes to show how fragile we really are, something people living in cities and getting water magically from taps and food from magical shops where it appears on shelfs often seem to give no thought to how fragile the entire system is.

I have just two questions, why are they naked, and why are they afraid?
Aside from the fear of people seeing me naked, I haven't seen much reason to be afraid. I must admit though, that I haven't watched much of it. The concept doesn't interest me.

Last edited:
How about a two or three person tent? I would try to scavenge other items out of it, such as clothing, cordage, fishing net, spear, foot bindings. It would be perfect if the other person brought a knife or take-apart scissors (so both people can have blades).
Somebody said that it couldn't be done, but he with a chuckle replied as he started to sing as he tackled thing that couldn't be done and he DID IT!!!

Back