Naked and Afraid - What would you bring?

Not only that, but the common denominator that makes or breaks the people in all these shows (other than unforseen medical issues) is their ability to gather food.

And the common theme in BOB and other kits is that "food is not important", because technically you can survive so many weeks without it.

While I realize most of these kits people make are oriented towards just a few days, where you can simply endure without food, if your situation lasts any longer than that and you will be in a bad way.

Just watched episode 6 "Beware the Bayou". They chose a knife and a fire starter. Then they happened to "find" a saucepan in the swamp to boil that undrinkable swamp water. How lucky is that? What...are...the...odds? OK, suspending disbelief and moving on..

There are better knife experts here than me, but I think they had a hunting knife, not a survival knife. It looked like a Buck Gen-5 Skinner to me: http://www.knifeworks.com/browseproducts/Buck-Gen-5-Skinner--154CM--Rosewood-Handle--Plain-Edge.HTML Maybe somebody else here got a better look.

I think after both participants failed in episode 5 the producers decided to add one extra item in ep 6. so they would be able to have fire build shelter and boil water. The knife was a bit small given the circumstances hence difficulty with gathering wood and building shelter. The dude turned out to be a wuss and was whining too much but at least was able to procure some food.

Naked_Prey_front__16152.1340543942.1280.1280.jpg

I would rather watch the Naked Prey once again. Now that was a very good movie and survival tale.

n2s

Oh, if this show were real, I would bring a gun, which I would promptly use on the film crew, after which I would have the necessary clothing, materials and supplies to comfortably ride out the 21 days. I just don't see the crew chumping on steak and beans while the cast, sitting right in front of them, is reduced to slugs, raw snake and hypothermia. Think about it......

n2s

I'd take a carbon steel cookpot, 1 gallon or so in size, with a lid. sharpen one side of the lid for use as a knife/axe. Then you can strike sparks from it with any flinty stone. I'd want her to bring a double poncho, with a heavy duty space blanket sewn into it. To hell with all that effort/risk of building shelters (that aint worth a hoot). Just spoon under it. it'd be great for catching rain for drinking water and for keeping the hot sun off of you, too.

lol on the gun thing. I heard that the participants don't even get paid to do this crazy stuff! They are figuring on profiting from "survival teaching". I haven't seen but 2 (of the 8 so far) that I'd even let walk beside me, much less teach me. The girl that made the lobster trap, and the one that wove the palmfrond hat had a little bit of sense/capability.

3 weeks without food is nothing much, if you know to just lie around and conserve calories. but they are silly and burn up an extra 4-4k of calories each per day, messing with shelters (in places only a fool would STAY). You can almost always contrive some sort of container in which to drop heated stones and boil water/cook. If it's nothing more than a section of bamboo or a clay lined hole in the ground, it will work.

Since the knife is covered, I'd definitely bring something reliable to get a fire going. Depending on location is how i would determine what I used to get the fire started. Aside from the obvious uses of fire, the added psychological boost is a big plus.

why settle for just a fire, when you can have a knife, a firemaker, a cookpot and shelter? :) A knife aint all THAT versatile an item, nor are you likely to need it almost instantly, as you might need shelter. Fire doesnt necessarily help very much, if you can't also get in out of the rain, wind and cold. You'd need fires on 3 sides of you, or one side of you will freeze, while the other side burns and you'd have to leave the fire's warmth, frequently and for long periods of time, getting the fuel for it. Many places, getting that fuel is very difficult, like the desert, snow country, mountains, and so on. It takes quite a while to build a shelter in many types of terrain, and quite often, there's a lot of risk involved. Especially if you are chopping with a machete or big knife, and if you have to move over snow and ice to get all that fuel.

i skipped most of the responses, so, i'm sorry if i'm repeating someone else. if i had one tool to bring with me, it wouldn't be f-ing goggles, especially if i were afraid to swim in the f- ing water! how about a tube of sunscreen instead, Nancy! and the guy that passed up the gigantic snake? c'mon. my whole family could have eaten that thing for 21 days. seems to me, they pick the guys based on their testosterone imbalance and the ladies that actually know some things. it's entertaining, but mostly for the gratuitous ass shots if you ask me.

So you would bring sunscreen? That is not very versatile and it will run out pretty fast when you use it all day every day. Why not a tent or some sort of shelter? That way you can stay out of the sun during the day and still keep warm at night.

So you would bring sunscreen? That is not very versatile and it will run out pretty fast when you use it all day every day. Why not a tent or some sort of shelter? That way you can stay out of the sun during the day and still keep warm at night.

well, no not me personally, but the guy who brought the goggles was also prone to sunburn. sorry. should have done a brief recap of that episode. i would rather have sunscreen than goggles though.

I'd bring a loin cloth hoping the other person brought a tin so that we could make char-cloth (with luck of a forest fire to get the whole process started of course :)

Back