Naked and Afraid...? What

blade would you choose to go into the Wild with..? I think I wood take a Fiddleback machete 12"....

BK9.

It's an obvious chopper, but it never fails to impress me with how knife like it can be.

I would be tempted to take a Mora Bushcraft black, but in this situation I think you need something capable of chopping for construction purposes.

I think the intended location would have a big impact on that decision.

Last edited:
One of our hosted knife makers Todd Hunt has already had his M-18 used on this discovery series. Season 5 episode 4 'The Edge of Madness'.

FB_IMG_1431048905209_zpszpxcvvad.jpg

I'd take one of those :D

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1278840-M-18-getting-naked-but-not-afraid

BK9.

It's an obvious chopper, but it never fails to impress me with how knife like it can be.

I would be tempted to take a Mora Bushcraft black, but in this situation I think you need something capable of chopping for construction purposes.

I think the intended location would have a big impact on that decision.

33D2FE3B-1BE6-480A-BBF2-C86575C01119_zpseko7eyvd.jpg

I wouldn't take the BK9.

I know this is a knife site, and I also love knives. And if I were to take a knife I would probably opt for my Spartan Harsey Difensa.

But that said, after watching a number of episodes, I would want to bring iodine. I know basic flintknapping. Groundstone can be made even when there is no knappable stone. But safe water is pretty darned precious.

Lotsa folks sure love that BK9..I personally have never handled one...lots of choppers with 9 and 10 inch blades...I don't have much experience with knives that long and I'm wondering if that size fills a niche where you can do some tasks that would require a bit smaller blade, if that makes any sense.....I have taken some long canoe trips and my trusty Ontario 12" machete is always with me, I think it cost me $18 bucks, it's in my truck now.

Is that your picture? Or do you know the story behind that? Obviously it was being battoned when it broke, just curious to hear the story.

Don't know anything about it, saw it on the ESEE Forums. Looks like a bad heat treat though.

Esee Laser Strike, or possibly a Tops Viper Scout... I think the LS would handle most tasks pretty well.

Last edited:
That IS cool! But since I don't own it I would go with my modified Scrapyard 1311. Great chopper great steel & choil for detail work. It seems like the main purpose of knives on the show has been to create shelter while expending as few calories as possible, and the 1311 fits that bill on thick and thin brush.

33D2FE3B-1BE6-480A-BBF2-C86575C01119_zpseko7eyvd.jpg

I wouldn't take the BK9.

Then there is no knife that you would take then I guess. Since every brand and maker has knives that have been broken at one point or another. Unless they are brand, brand new to knife making run from anyone brand/maker that says otherwise. Not blaming any maker, company or even user because no one is perfect 100% or the time.

Back