Naked and Afraid...? What

So interesting point about reality shows. Most of the contestants go into them absolutely confident they can control the message, win the game and come out looking like a star.

Instead the production staff manipulates what gets on TV through editing and manufactures the footage to create the heroes and villains that the audience demands.

My reaction to the first two guys that tapped out was they really could not have had much experience in the bush or the very least certainly no knowledge of bears and wolves. Also I wonder if they knew before hand where they were going. If I knew that I would be in an area where they was a good population of predators I would bone up on their behavior..the very least you can do is pee around your perimeter..again easy for me to say having just eaten 2 hot dogs with all the fixins..

Yup. Pee, fire and noise. Sounds pretty damn manly to me.

Second only to a voice, I've found the noise that seems to frighten animals the most in the wild is a good ol' knife spine or spoon against a big steel pot. Probably the frequencies and directionality of it. At night, though, you can't beat something with a flash.

The thing I haven't yet tried is advancing in the dark while throwing fire steel showers as fast as I can. That's usually been my plan B.

It is a darn cool knife, though I have to say that when I got to handle one of the prototypes my impression was "this is awesome, but way too big for me to actually find generally useful." The Model I is freaking sexy though.

The model 2 is basically a slightly smaller version of the model 1. Nevertheless, I found the model 2 a bit too big too. But love the ergos.

You don't hear much about the Boomslang...I have never handled one, does anyone have some experience with it?

If I could get the producers of 'Alone' to pay for a knife, like the hypothetical free knife from 'N&A', I'd go with the Bear Jaw Bowie by John Cohea. That'd give those bears something to think about! No, it wouldn't.

But it might make me feel slightly tougher as I cowered under a tarp, trying to convince myself that deer were known to growl and snort sometimes. No, it wouldn't.

I'd tell them to turn the boat around without setting foot ashore. I'm probably worse than most of those dudes at the survival game, and I find comfort comfortable. If I wanted to suffer and possibly die a horrible death in the soothing terror of mother nature's embrace, I'd do it without cameras. Death and suffering are bad enough, why add embarrassment?

235cd0db74a96e26b07a658aea6cf619.jpg

If I could only have one knife in a wilderness situation, I'd take my TOPS Condor Alert. My Bark River Bravo 2 would be runner up.

And about the broken BK9 that everyone's talking about, I think it's a decent knife, but it's a bit thin at 3/16 inch for hard core survival use. Definitely baton with caution. A better choice for that kind of hard use would be a 1/4 inch thick blade, like the Ontario RD9, made of 5160, at the same price point.

Alone/Naked Afraid is very interesting...I find myself shouting at the TV...having spent time in the bush when I was a pup and sitting on the couch now I seem to know all the things they should be doing and how to do them, although I don't have the distraction of bugs biting my va j j.

That poor woman will never live that down. Haha.

I would probably take a tent, then i would stick my PM2 in my butt cheeks. Best of both worlds. :D

Last edited:
Can't say that having a PM2 clenched in my butt cheeks would be the best of any world that I could dream of, but I get your point. A nice tent would eliminate the need to build a shelter which seems to be a pretty big hassle for most of those folks. But unless that knife in there allows you to expel flaming gas from which you could readily start a fire, you're still not going to have all the bases covered:D

It depends. If it was jungle like I would take my Martindale crocodile635. If it was woods .Cant say . I would have to go with a axe. But either way I would perish.

There are many brands that can be trusted not to break that easily. ESEE, Scrapyard, Swamprat, Busse, Custom CPM3V and Custom S7 knives, etc.

Implying Beckers break easily? I've done a ton of stupid crap with all of my Beckers and they haven't failed me. Anything you named can have a flaw, bad HT, etc. Do you seriously think an ESEE or a Busse is any less breakable than a Becker?

Alone/Naked Afraid is very interesting...I find myself shouting at the TV...having spent time in the bush when I was a pup and sitting on the couch now I seem to know all the things they should be doing and how to do them, although I don't have the distraction of bugs biting my va j j.
After watching Alone, I've lost interest in Naked and Afraid. Alone just seems alot more raw and authentic. I like the Les Stroud aspect of it; no producers or camera crew out there with those guys. There's actually a dedicated thread on this show here... http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1293206-New-TV-Survival-Show-Alone

Anyway, if I were on Naked and Afraid it would be hard not bring my trusty Fallkniven A1, however, I think ultimately I would decide on my Wetterlings Bushman axe (designed by Les Stroud ironically).

BushmanAxe1_zpsmfkbd6ck.jpg

In the case of Busse knives, I do. INFI is ridiculously tough.

But still no less or more breakable. If you give me a knife of any kind and tell me to break it, 99 times out of 100 I will find a way to break it regardless of manufacturer. Especially if the heat treating was messed up (which seemed to be the case with the pictured BK9).

But still no less or more breakable. If you give me a knife of any kind and tell me to break it, 99 times out of 100 I will find a way to break it regardless of manufacturer.
That so? Huh. That's a pretty bold statement. How many knives have you broken? Is it 99 out of 100, or zero out of the few you own?

If they were paying -- it's the least they could do, there's no million-dollar prize at the end -- I'd take something big, expensive, and tough... a Jason Knight blade would work. Then I'd tap out, leaving with a nice knife, and none of the ticks, tapeworms and infections the 'winners' go home with after 21 days. I don't know why anyone would subject themselves to something like that, but I am impressed with how many people make it through.

Some of the locations seem a lot tougher than others... the swamp environments are pure hell, too wet and humid for fire, water everywhere, none of it drinkable, alligators, water moccasins, flesh-eating bacteria and fungae that thrive in the perpetual damp and rot. Nope. F*** that.

After watching a couple episodes of 'Alone', I'm starting to think the northern tip of Vancouver Island might be more difficult than any of the warmer, tropical and sub-tropical climates from 'Naked and Afraid'. North America doesn't have the variety of man-killers that Africa has, but the ones we do have are all hanging out together on Vancouver Island.

If I did intend to see it through, I'd still want a large knife, on the principle that a big knife can do small jobs, but a small knife can't do big jobs. Most of the teams who have gotten to the end have had a large blade with them -- a machete, kukri, or bowie.

Bowie-with-fuller.jpg
Jason's knives are full of win. I'd probably take a Busse TGLB, or a BK7. I need to try a Junglas, it's on my buy list.
Regarding the B k9 picture, I noticed the knot in the wood it broke into. Not the best angle or section to baton. That section should have been the "core", meaning, you remove wood everywhere else and leave that piece to burn on it's own. Just my thoughts on it.

Back