Natural Outlaw died! I shocked...

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is nothing new, I have been aware of this for quite some time. If you buy a 1000 dollar straight handled BM from the exchange and break it, you receive what the knife originally cost from Busse, which is considerably less than 1000 dollars. Hence why I will never buy an older model with an engorged price tag.

The OP needs to realize that Busse can't be held accountable for what people pay for second hand goods. I would've preferred to see the OP get offered a Team Gemini, but Busse doesn't "owe" him/her that. Personally I feel their offer was fair, was it over the top generous? No.

This thread was an eye opener (for me at least). Busse products are top notch and their customer service has gone above and beyond for this customer. What I found interesting is the whole "shop credit" thing. I agree Jerry should not be held responsible for the appreciation of the knife's value do to limited supply. I did erroneously think they would crank out a replacement of my exact model knife if it failed. I feel I will probably NEVER need the Busse warranty and will continue to grow my collection but I will NEVER buy on the secondary market again unless it is being sold for the original shop price or less. I will also never sell a knife for more than it's original cost and have locked my thread and withdrawn any knives I had for sale. With that said, I cant wait for the mini Team Gemini to come out.

Frank

Its important to note here that this was NOT just a used knife, it was a modified knife. There seems to be an assumption that, since Busse has accepted some liability, it should accept any and all liability pertaining to the product.

As someone who has dealt with Busse's warranty directly I will say that they do an exceptional job, and do strive to replace the original knife with a match. There isn't some manipulative conspiracy, they're extremely generous about it. They certainly aren't trying to "get out of it" as, when I spoke with Jerry, I specifically attempted to decline any warranty service as I felt I had exceeded the warranty's limitation of "unintentional" in what I was doing with the knife. Jerry insisted I get a replacement. If he were looking to "get away with something" or "save money" or anything else like that he could have easily just nodded, agreed with me, and we could have happily gone our separate ways no bad blood.

I really am a bit offended at people's insinuation here that Busse's warranty is unbacked, that they are trying to get away with things, or anything else like that.

and its starting to aggravate me as well. So, going forward make sure you have something to add to the thread that is constructive or at least adds to discussion otherwise dont post. The last page or so is full of assumptions most of which are wrong and negative to Busse when they have gone above and beyond IMHO.

Also, if your going to quote someone keep their name in it so it makes sense. THe one a page back from Joshcole is a reply to Andy the Aussie from the page before and by leaving it out you didnt do a great job at clarity.

Also, no more ambiguous comments. If you have a point to make. Then make it and state it clearly. Thank you. I dont want to see this de-railed. Keep this train on the tracks folks. Thank you.:thumbup:

Now, first Busse never offerred him a Anniversary meant street. AAAA CCC just suggested it and he doesnt work for Busse. Garth didnt pin Valerii into taking any specific knife. He offerred him the credit to allow him to make his own choice on which model he wants. Not a single statement of he could pay difference on Team gemini. It is a credit for a knife purchased for the exact amount of money that it was originally sold for. How any one would expect any company regardless of how big or almighty they might be to pay out more than they were initially paid is beyond me and I think totally unrealistic. Especially on collectible items that tend to appreciate.

Busse Combat is a production company, and if they stopped the production line at a moments notice they would then become a custom knife company producing a custom knife that cost a lot more.

THere are a lot of issues in this thread that I will try and decifer and make sense of....

1. Jerry told us all that it would be covered without hesitation even on a modified product that he made no money on the knife modding process without even having it in hand on 6/17/12
2. He later offerred full shop credit here in reply to this thread, and also via email to Valerii directly over a month ago on 1/17/2013.
3 Garth again stated Yesterday 2/26/13 that Valerii may use his shop credit at anytime which he hasnt done for his own reasons.

Now some of this as a couple others have stated is starting to seem disingenuous. I hope it is just some misunderstandings and language barrier, but You have been given the benefit of doubt that you didnt do anything to stress the knife in such a manner to do this. Now even at 64-65 many have stated that it would take a lot of stress even at that hardness to break. Now you have been given that benefit , but now folks dont want to extend that same courtesy to Busse Combat....not that you have but others here and you kinda have insinuated that Jerry and Busse Combat just kinda made this up. Well, you nor anyone else can have it both ways. Plus, I find it the only logical line of thought. Especially when the knife has been modified and you have only had it for a short period of time relative to its lifespan and cant account for anything in regards to what has occurred to it except for the time that you have had it. I dont care what you thought or what might have been told to you. None of that means a thing.

If this knife was like new and still coated I dont think we would be here or having this conversation. THis very thread proves to me atleast that this is a heavily moddified knife because its the only moddified knife out of all the ones we've seen here thats failed.

Also, is just seems od that GA-perm starts this thread in June. Jerry says he will take care of it in June. You sign up here in September but fail to post til after Ga -perm comes back in January stating it had been 6 months which it hadnt since as Jerry stated they didnt even get it til late September. So, it had only been about 3 months tops. Then Jerry states the shop credit will be issued here and in email in 1/17 but you again let it go and die down to only come back and blast Busse combat that they havent answered you again which again is NOT TRUE>. You had your answer here like the rest of us in the most likely place to respond over a month ago. Here in public where you and the guy you bought it from brought it.

This history with a guarantee about my knife. I even was specially registered here. I wait more than 6 months for the decision from Jerry (it received a knife in September 2012). To me it is unclear why decision-making takes so much time. At all I don't know what to think.
_VAL1094.JPG

b.JPG

I at all don't wait for replacement by just the same knife (the same model). Taking into account circumstances that I am not the first owner and to a knife many years - I would agree to a new knife of the smaller size or the same size with my surcharge.
But passed already a lot of time. I and refusal didn't receive also a specific proposal. Only the promise to resolve an issue.

THis is where it seems that you have changed your mind from your previous position. You were fine with getting a smaller knife and now your not?

Even though you could use your shop credit on a knife a little larger like the TGLB that I believe without a doubt will be worth more than your heavily moddified NO-E. you could even save it for the Anniversary SHBM and potentially be in a much better position. THe beauty of what you've been offerred is that you get to chose. Considering the knife is around 12 years old-NOE - Natural Outlaw Ergo (2001): $257 atleast from price guide sticky. Its looks like you were given an extra $10

You consider, what small heating of metal (it very thick, probably 7 mm), can increase hardness?
At a Russian-speaking forum the majority considers, what even strong heating would lead not to hardness increase, and to "temper" - hardness fall.

Knife didn't replace. 3 weeks wait for the answer to the letter.
It is a lot of conversations and few affairs. Excuse, but everything was very much tightened. I hope, it not specially.
I will try to explain the opinion once again. For Jerry.
If your guarantee works in this case (and you exactly so at a forum wrote and in correspondence with me), I would like to receive knife replacement. If you don't provide a choice - then approximately by the size such knife as at me was. I didn't ask the same model (I understand that it isn't issued).
I in Russia bought this knife a year ago for $400 (the price of many knifes with the fixed blade is high because of complexity of delivery to Russia).
If you replace a knife (the address for sending I sent Lexi) - to Russia I will pay about $150 for the guaranteed delivery.
2nd option:
If you don't want to change a knife but only you offer the credit of $267 - I agree to receive as return this sum (though it less than that sum which I paid for a knife). Write and I will send requisites of the account of the company in the European bank on which it is possible to make payment without problems.
and 3rd option:
Anything.
I more than anything from you don't wait and it allows me to draw the conclusions on your knifes, a guarantee and the attitude towards clients.

All the best,
Valerii.

See this comment was yesterday. Why is it you waited three weeks to check on this thread. Seems like you have been coming on after you friend GA-perm starts it going. He is the one that you got the knife from right. What I want to know is who did the mod work that he says was only done on emory board paper and no machine? Say Ga perm?

The first owner of a knife has cleaned a covering an emery paper. Machine tools didn't use.
Then the knife has been sold to me. I have sold a knife to the following owner. The knife has broken at it. He wrote Jerry Busse. While a knife haven't replaced.
But have promised to replace.

Here is where you state that no machine was used.

I think you owe us that information at the least.
I ask because the heat treat has definitely been affected and other people here with more knowledge have stated that it looks like it was heavily machined. I see no Infi dimples right around choil where its highly polished. Notice how you can see em all around and next to the handle slabs where they couldnt be reached. Then there are none where the break is. Then they appear again out along the blade towards the point.

Thanks for the offer, but the matter is that length of an edge of "Natural Outlaw" more than 6 inches, and at ANNIVERSARY MEAN STREET 3,5. These are absolutely different knifes. And as "Natural Outlaw" replacement it isn't interesting.

You can pick out any blade you want. There is the TGLB, and the Anniversary SHBM is coming, you probably could have gotten a CGNMFSH if you would have asked. Still might. All these are better bangs for the buck than what you had IMO. Especially going forward.

Garth,
Your answer - the 3rd option - Anything.
Guarantee - an empty phrase.
Exceptions it isn't necessary for me.
To argue on that removal of a covering could lead to breakage I I won't be.
Me the knife (not necessarily new and not necessarily same) interested. Jerry could provide any knife after tests, for example (which you won't sell as new in shop).
The earlier it would make, the it would be better my mood and opinion on the company.
Now at such relation and such guarantee this credit isn't necessary to me. Because I don't want to buy a new knife which can break again and on a guarantee it won't replace.

P.S. Once again I will repeat for all - I specially didn't break a knife and was very afflicted when it occurred.
Further I don't want to spend the and your time for words and I will forget this history. Life doesn't stand still.
We put an end in this history.
With Best Regards.

Here it just seems you got more than you really wanted but then after you got it that wasnt enough. Care to explain?

and here are all of GA-perms post before they get edited since its already happened with you both. ( ANd to be fair I have had to edit due to all the quotes and so editing doesnt necessarily mean anything negative)

Natural Outlaw died! And it without loading! I shocked...
http://forum.guns.ru/forummessage/64/983214.html

The knife broke at the new owner. I sold a knife to it. I bought a knife from other person earlier. It had it still new.

http://forum.guns.ru/forummessage/64/983214.html
6 monthes since my 1st post...
hasn't been replaced for a while

The knife has been sent and investigated.

The first owner of a knife has cleaned a covering an emery paper. Machine tools didn't use.
Then the knife has been sold to me. I have sold a knife to the following owner. The knife has broken at it. He wrote Jerry Busse. While a knife haven't replaced.
But have promised to replace.

Here is where you state that no machine was used.

Last edited:
This is nothing new, I have been aware of this for quite some time. If you buy a 1000 dollar straight handled BM from the exchange and break it, you receive what the knife originally cost from Busse, which is considerably less than 1000 dollars. Hence why I will never buy an older [SIZE=3[COLOR="#FF0000"]]"heavily moddified"[/[/COLOR]SIZE] model with an engorged price tag.

The OP needs to realize that Busse can't be held accountable for what people pay for second hand goods. I would've preferred to see the OP get offered a Team Gemini, but Busse doesn't "owe" him/her that. Personally I feel their offer was fair, was it over the top generous? No.

Let me fix that for you Greg.

I have no problem trusting the warranty on a factory blade. Nor do I have a problem worrying a bout a knife modded by someone that knows what they are doing. THere are some here that are great. Im not gonna mention names for multitude of reasons.

But this brings another point. People modify their own knives cause they are too damn cheap to buy it done that way from Busse in the first place. No ifs and or buts about it. The fact that is done is such large amounts even times by folks that are first timers and we still never hear of a problem is a testament to INFI and the knives produced by Busse Combat. Granted sometimes some models are only offerred coated but more times than not you can get it done by Busse. Now if it had a custom shop logo on this no-e meaning Busse also got paid to modify the knife and then they can account for how it was done and that it was done correctly. That would be different.

I have received bids on a comparable $267 dollar knife that to satin it was $140 which is over 50% mark up on original price. THis has been another reason folks like to strip and modify some cause they save others the work and make a little money. Some have even been able to make a lot of money doing it and even start their own careers. This is not a knock at them. It again a testament to INFI, but it has nothing to do with Busse Combat.

Heck even R. Hinderer wont work on his own satin blades and spa them up anymore. I dont think its cause he doesnt want the work cause he will happily beadblast it, but just maybe is this another tell tell of why you shouldnt polish or buff a knife unless you know what you are doing? Much less buy a modded knife unless you really know who did the work and are confident that they knew what they where doing?

I mean its obvious when the thread from not long ago a guy turns his big knife into a scrofa ( not really but I dont have time to find. it. )

Last edited:
I just want to add a bit of perspective, why a shop credit can be unsatisfactory especially for Europeans.

I'm from another European country. When I order from a US shop, I pay about 45$ shipping
plus 7% customs duty plus 20% sales tax plus 10€ fee for the local postal service collecting
taxes.

So even choosing a cheaper blade, say a 200$ one, to cover shipping costs, I'd still have to
pay about 60$ to get a replacement, no matter how high the shop credit.

So if my current knife budget was about zero, I'd be sitting on a shop credit I couldn't use
and couldn't get a replacement from a local dealer either.

I'm not saying that Busse should care about that, but maybe it explains GA-Perms frustration.

I just want to add a bit of perspective, why a shop credit can be unsatisfactory especially for Europeans.

I'm from another European country. When I order from a US shop, I pay about 45$ shipping
plus 7% customs duty plus 20% sales tax plus 10€ fee for the local postal service collecting
taxes.

So even choosing a cheaper blade, say a 200$ one, to cover shipping costs, I'd still have to

So if my current knife budget was about zero, I'd be sitting on a shop credit I couldn't use

I'm not saying that Busse should care about that, but maybe it explains GA-Perms frustration.

I dont put much stock in that either considering that it could be returned by Busse as "return of Merchandise" or even a "gift" legally the way I understand it. Valerii, the owner sent it back to Busse the way I read it. Not Ga -perm... this would also leave him with the return forms to verify to custom that it truly is a return and that he has already paid customs therefore as I understand it there would be no fee

Lets put it in other terms. THe NO-e has never done much more than about $450 on average for even a good knife on the secondary market. Maybe $500. THe originala TG's where brought back from blade I think for TG - Team Gemini (2010): $327
TG MO - Team Gemini Military Overrun - sage/jade G10 (2010): ????

and were sold for $450 to $475. When the current TGLB goes off Busse site with all the hype from Walking dead its going to be worth more as well. Ultimately its a bigger knife. Look at the old prices on SHBMs in excess of $1000. If he saves the credit til they are released granted he has to wait a little he could potentially get a CG ASHBM for close to his shop credit and be way ahead.

Now look if he had the knife the whole 12+ years @ $267 that would be about $25 bucks a year for use. THen it earns a shop credit for replacement 12 years later-especially modified by a third party and multiple owners full a full if not more than full refund. Im sorry. I for one think anything more is unrealistic.

The fact that he got more than he asked and now that isnt good enough seems childish at best, and defamatory at worst.

Knifehunter, apologies for the lack of clarity with my quote.

Not quite sure whether it was me getting a smack on the wrist for ambiguity?? But anyway, if it was, then I can assure you that I was only attempting a reasonable, considered and nuanced response.

It really isn't fair to simply dismiss all percieved negative comments as attempts to troll Busse. -- A lot of valid points have been raised by genuine members of the Busse community, including guys like PeterPHWS, and others as to quite how the RC could be raised to 64/5 from buffing. These are valid questions and deserve respectful answers.

Many of these points have been raised by loyal Busse fans, not because they want to besmirch Busse Combat's remarkable name, but because Busse is a great company that they care about. It's precisely because a broken Busse is such a rare event that this has raised questions -- This perhaps is the key point to take away from the whole thread :)

No need to lock a thread until a suitable resolution has been provided for OP.

Thank you Cobalt.
I was under the impression that this matter was resolved.
Carry on!

You're right Rolf, it should be resolved.
Busse has went above, and beyond to resolve this issue.

I'm blown away that they would warranty a knife that has been modded in such a way.

He should be very thankful, instead of wanting more!

Most know if a knife is modded in such a way the warranty is void, and would never expect Busse warranty the knife.
I, and most anyone else I know would never ask Busse(or any company) to warranty a knife such as this one.
Hard for me to believe anyone could ask, and it really supprises me that when given a credit they still don't think its good enough.

I just hope some out there don't take this to mean they can start modding their own knife(in a way to affect heat treat), and expect Busse to uphold its warranty on it.
IMO Busse may need to say this is the last time this will be done just to stop others from doing this.

If the buyer didn't know the knife was modded he should ask the seller to refund. If he did know he should have never asked Busse to make good on it. Hard to believe someone would do this.

I would also recommend using the shop credit for a TGLB. Awesome knife. You can also order it in uncoated competition finish at no extra charge.

Is the bold above true? If so, let the OP check into what he thinks of that: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...naked-and-buff-a-great-way-to-go-through-life!

A few have suggested that the owner look to previous owners to make up the difference between the credit and a new knife (shipping/taxes/fees included, of course). I assume that Busse Combat shop credits cannot be used on other Bussekin products in the event that the holder doesn't like any of the current Busse offerings? Otherwise he might find the anniversary Ratweiler compelling...

Good luck to the owner in making his decision! The warranty was indeed honored - replacement of knife or original cost of knife - even if the owner isn't satisfied by that, regardless of what caused the fracture. If his taste for Busse has soured, let the owner act as proxy to a friend? ~$270 is nothing to scoff at, not from my perspective at least....

Yes you can order the TGLB in CF for no additional charge ....I just did.... :D :D

I have NO doubt at all that, should it be requested, the shop credit could be put toward ANY of the blades that come out of the Busse Group of companies.

Knifehunter, apologies for the lack of clarity with my quote.

Not quite sure whether it was me getting a smack on the wrist for ambiguity?? But anyway, if it was, then I can assure you that I was only attempting a reasonable, considered and nuanced response.

It really isn't fair to simply dismiss all percieved negative comments as attempts to troll Busse. -- A lot of valid points have been raised by genuine members of the Busse community, including guys like PeterPHWS, and others as to quite how the RC could be raised to 64/5 from buffing. These are valid questions and deserve respectful answers.

Many of these points have been raised by loyal Busse fans, not because they want to besmirch Busse Combat's remarkable name, but because Busse is a great company that they care about. It's precisely because a broken Busse is such a rare event that this has raised questions -- This perhaps is the key point to take away from the whole thread :)

Josh I was in no way singling you out sir. It just took me going through two pages to find who you were replying too. No offense intended or meant . My apologies .

But there are a lot of other assumptions made as mentioned by others that doubt whether the blade actually has a 64-65 rc. Well, thats wrong. If this knife had never been modified then most likely we would all know it was done by Busse. But since its been 12 years and obviously moddified the onus is not on Busse IMHO, but on whoever moddified the knife.

You mention peterphws, and not only is he respected... he is held in high regard, but frankly I do disagree with him in regards to the fact that anyone should be able to modify a Busse.(Actually, not sure if thats what he really meant without going back to search his quotes here too) I would trust Peter to do about anything to a blade personally cause Ive seen examples of his work, his ethics and integrity here for a long time. At the same time this does not make it a blanket statement for all. Some dont have the experience to do such work. I don't.

This will always have to be handled on a case by case basis IMO.

Now, since this was brought to the forums against the sticky at the top of page, and wrapped with fact of how the two (GA-Perm and Valerii) have worked this thread in conjunction smells to me. Maybe I have an overtly sensitive nose, but put together with Valerii not replying as I stated when he first showed up in Sept after it was stated that it would be made good in June. Then to only reply and try and slant the picture in January that he hadnt been replied to in 6 months which wasnt true. Now to switch his mind that he is no longer good with getting a smaller knife for credit and even willing to pay difference for larger makes me wander what the point of whole thread was in the beginning.

Was it "an attempt" to drag the reputation of a great company into the mudd? Only time will tell as far as Im concerned.

Again, I hope this all just a language barrier and Valerii just doesnt understand the offer that he has been given.:thumbup:

ETA: Im am not in anyway looking to surpress anyone's opinions. What I am saying is make your point, and make it clear . Ambiguity is not needed here at this time

Last edited:
I have NO doubt at all that, should it be requested, the shop credit could be put toward ANY of the blades that come out of the Busse Group of companies.

Not so sure about that... as far as I am aware they are completely independent companies. Didn't Swamp Rat or Scrapyard used to say something along the lines of, "Don't ask Busse Combat about our knives or we'll never talk to you again!"

Knife Hunter is spot on about the tax and import duty issue. That's how it works in the UK; I know because I've done it (not with Busse). The customs form would need to be marked with "Warranty Repair being Returned" or similar. Customs still tried to charge me, because they are illiterate, but a quick telephone call sorted it out.

Maybe for stock standard ordering/sales BUT in term of honouring a warranty issue I would bet a testicle that it would. The links between the companies (other than the obvious) are clear particularly when you look at the Ganza offering and how these orders are processed and when the Crew attend a show, they do not operate separate tables at the shows and the Busse crew handle both Scrapyard and Swamp Rat blade orders/delivery during a Ganza. Again... though I don't work for them I am confident enough to place one of the prized family jewels on the line .... ;)

To begin with, providing a credit or replacement if knife is still being made is good enough. The value of the credit has to be based on sale price. Busse is one of those rare companies where values of the blades can and often do increase. Busse cannot be responsible for a knife that was purchased for $300, and may now be worth $900. If the knife is destroyed and busse provides credit or replacement, that is more than fair. Several people have already stated that OP could just buy the TGLB with the shop credit.

My interest is more in what happened to cause that knife to fail. The reason I mention this is because I have had many e-handles and I have abused them to the extreme and never had a failure. So it could be that a bad one got out or it could be that something happened along the way. Remember, the e-handles have been gone nearly 10 years. Does anyone really know what has happened to that knife in the past ten years. Cliff is a good example of what happens to knives just look at what he did to a basic 7. His SHBM is still going strong and he has reground it countless times and still does. Whatever happened to this knife will not affect my view of Busse knives because I know that no other company can even come close to providing the level of attention to the construction and HT of a production knife. I just like the engineering aspect of failures.

Having said all that I do think that companies who value their customer base should do everything possible to make customers happy. If I know Busse they will work to do this.

Not so sure about that... as far as I am aware they are completely independent companies. Didn't Swamp Rat or Scrapyard used to say something along the lines of, "Don't ask Busse Combat about our knives or we'll never talk to you again!"

Knife Hunter is spot on about the tax and import duty issue. That's how it works in the UK; I know because I've done it (not with Busse). The customs form would need to be marked with "Warranty Repair being Returned" or similar. Customs still tried to charge me, because they are illiterate, but a quick telephone call sorted it out.

Maybe for stock standard ordering/sales BUT in term of honouring a warranty issue I would bet a testicle that it would. The links between the companies (other than the obvious) are clear particularly when you look at the Ganza offering and how these orders are processed and when the Crew attend a show, they do not operate separate tables at the shows and the Busse crew handle both Scrapyard and Swamp Rat blade orders/delivery during a Ganza. Again... though I don't work for them I am confident enough to place one of the prized family jewels on the line .... ;)

My thoughts are that you are both right to some degree. But in this instance I would lean towards Busse Combat only.

1. The other companies didnt even exist when the No-E was made.
2 Garth and it appears Jerry were clear when they said it could be used on any "Busse Combat" knife.

quoted provided:
Valerii,

I will share here what was stated to you privately in an email from Jerry. Your knife was modified by a third party individual. The buffing that was done on the blade was done to such an extreme temperature that it changed the surface hardness of the steel. This is what led to the failure. Generally, we do not warrant work that has been done by third party people. However, we graciously made an exception for you and issued you a $267.00 shop credit. This shop credit can be used for any Busse Combat knife that you so choose. The shop credit was issued for $267.00 as that was what we sold the knife for when it was offered through Busse Combat.

You may, at anytime, redeem your $267.00 shop credit. This shop credit is none transferrable and may be used on any "Busse Combat" knife that is available.

Thanks
Garth

Knife Hunter.... given what I have placed on the line, I do really hope I am right and you are wrong..... ;)

Having said all that I do think that companies who value their customer base should do everything possible to make customers happy. If I know Busse they will work to do this.

They have did every thing they could to work this out.
A full credit for a knife that they didn't have to warranty(I wouldn't have), is more than fair.
If one buys a knife and knows he can get still have a warranty if he does a mod job that affects the heat treat then what will stop some from doing that???
If they know they can get even MORE of a credit than the price of the knife what could they loose ?

Granted an honest person wouldn't do this, but a company can't put it out there that they will give back more than what the knife sold for when new.

Don't see how anyone could not see what Busse has offered is more than fair.

taxes.

One in your position automatically accepts that risk when they buy, in this case, a Busse knife.

Knife Hunter.... given what I have placed on the line, I do really hope I am right and you are wrong..... ;)

well you do have 2 ...................hopefully :)

That is relevant to the conversation :).............I hope

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back