Natural Outlaw died! I shocked...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Garth,
Your answer - the 3rd option - Anything.
Guarantee - an empty phrase.
Exceptions it isn't necessary for me.
To argue on that removal of a covering could lead to breakage I I won't be.
Me the knife (not necessarily new and not necessarily same) interested. Jerry could provide any knife after tests, for example (which you won't sell as new in shop).
The earlier it would make, the it would be better my mood and opinion on the company.
Now at such relation and such guarantee this credit isn't necessary to me. Because I don't want to buy a new knife which can break again and on a guarantee it won't replace.

P.S. Once again I will repeat for all - I specially didn't break a knife and was very afflicted when it occurred.
Further I don't want to spend the and your time for words and I will forget this history. Life doesn't stand still.
We put an end in this history.
With Best Regards.

Garth,
Your answer - the 3rd option - Anything.
Guarantee - an empty phrase.
Exceptions it isn't necessary for me.
To argue on that removal of a covering could lead to breakage I I won't be.
Me the knife (not necessarily new and not necessarily same) interested. Jerry could provide any knife after tests, for example (which you won't sell as new in shop).
The earlier it would make, the it would be better my mood and opinion on the company.
Now at such relation and such guarantee this credit isn't necessary to me. Because I don't want to buy a new knife which can break again and on a guarantee it won't replace.

P.S. Once again I will repeat for all - I specially didn't break a knife and was very afflicted when it occurred.
Further I don't want to spend the and your time for words and I will forget this history. Life doesn't stand still.
We put an end in this history.
With Best Regards.

You were offered a 100% credit for:
An item that is a few years old - No depreciation at all for usage in that time
An item that someone modified and damaged - Most companies would simply say it was damaged outside their shop and give you nothing

I think that Jerry has gone above and beyond to work with you on this, and I applaud him for that.

Valerii,

I will share here what was stated to you privately in an email from Jerry. Your knife was modified by a third party individual. The buffing that was done on the blade was done to such an extreme temperature that it changed the surface hardness of the steel. This is what led to the failure. Generally, we do not warrant work that has been done by third party people. However, we graciously made an exception for you and issued you a $267.00 shop credit. This shop credit can be used for any Busse Combat knife that you so choose. The shop credit was issued for $267.00 as that was what we sold the knife for when it was offered through Busse Combat.

You may, at anytime, redeem your $267.00 shop credit. This shop credit is none transferrable and may be used on any "Busse Combat" knife that is available.

Thanks
Garth

Surface Hardness? Interesting,,,,,,

I would just pay the extra $70.00 and get the TGLB. It seems that the company has gone above and beyond to honor a guarantee that it did not need to, seeing how the knife was altered by a third party. I can understand the communication being a bit jumbled via the translations, but it seems nothing is going to be satisfactory to the owner. You can't please everyone all of the time, unfortunately. Try taking something back to any store that you have used and modified, I bet you don't get very far. Use the shop credit, get a knife directly from the company, and have patience in the wait time, as they are very busy and factor in having to deal with overseas shipping.

Last edited:
I would also recommend using the shop credit for a TGLB. Awesome knife. You can also order it in uncoated competition finish at no extra charge.

You were offered a 100% credit for:
An item that is a few years old - No depreciation at all for usage in that time
An item that someone modified and damaged - Most companies would simply say it was damaged outside their shop and give you nothing

I think that Jerry has gone above and beyond to work with you on this, and I applaud him for that.

This isn't really a valid argument. Busse is not 'most companies', and I believe this is why most of us are Busse customers. We pay significant amounts of money primarily because of the outstanding warranty, customer service and in order to 'join the family'. It is slightly disingenuous to compare Busse with other manufacturers because we SHOULD expect more from Busse. The warranty promises more. The glowing reviews on this forum promises more and the way Busse is marketed promises more.

It does seem extremely interesteing that the heat treat was apparently damaged by buffing. Even with grinding there is no way I have ever got any steel anywhere near 900 degrees!

I'm sure I'm not the only one who finds this curious

If you get a small area too hot, it can crack. The crack can concentrate stress so that the crack propagates. The appearance of the failure surfaces would not be uniform under that scenario - the final, sudden failure area would have a frosted appearance. Or so I have been told by the A.S.M. Examination under high magnification might be informative.

"Modified by a third party," by itself, is a pretty indeterminate standard. New handle scales?

And if the owner, not a "third party," ruined the temper, that should be on the owner.

Last edited:
We pay significant amounts of money primarily because of the outstanding warranty,
.... I would say this is NOT correct, most pay the money because of the PRODUCT not the warranty. By your standard ESEE could charge $500 for their ESEE 6 because they give it an unconditional warranty ??? I think the point made much further back in this thread was (without searching as I am a lazy prick) that this has generated so much interest because a failure of this type is so RARE. That my friend is why we pay the $$s because the belief (well supported by history) is that the warranty will never be needed. A 100% money back/new knife/dinner for two is of ABSOLUTLY NO use to me when I am 100km from anywhere needing the use of a knife that has failed.

Lets face it, ESEE aside (and I am a BIG fan of theirs as well) how many companies would warranty a blade that was +/- 10 years old, been through several owners, and apparently modified from new thus contributing to its failure?

Bussse is also clear about the replace or refund provision from the get go. If they have the blank available then a new knife it is, if not shop credit for the original value. This is EXACTLY what has been offered.

People pay a premium for Busse knives ( and other premium commanding products ) for several reasons. Actual quality, perceived quality, and , absolutely also warranty and reputation for customer service and satisfaction. I know that if any of my Busses were to break ( hard to imagine, but anything's possible) jerry would replace my knife and knock himself out to figure out what happened. Fast he ain't. Reliable he is. Where's old Cliff S. when you need him ;)

Last edited:
I would also recommend using the shop credit for a TGLB. Awesome knife. You can also order it in uncoated competition finish at no extra charge.

This :thumbup:

To have a shop credit issued for the full original retail value of a knife that old that has also been through multiple owners and without any original proof of purchase is far more than could be expected with any other company. Most company warranties are nontransferable and no other company that I know of anywhere will replace full retail value on a modified (and compromised) product! I have a Busse Active Duty that Ban Tang, a highly skilled knife maker in his own right, modified that I regularly use and enjoy. If that knife were to fail, however, I may send a polite email to Busse on the off-chance they would help but would completely understand that they would be under NO obligation to do so since the original blade shape and profile was changed significantly. To start making demands and being difficult doesn't help anyone's case though.

In my opinion, the original poster should be happy that Busse has been willing to do this much and grateful that full original retail value is being offered (especially when a top-notch blades like the TGLB or SARGE 7 are available now). It isn't the company's problem that Vallerii bought the product for more money on the after market; they are in no way responsible for his choice in doing so and to say otherwise is ludicrous.

Jerry hasn't been back, he said he was going to explain a little more.

I'm interested too, if you have to sustain temperatures over 900F to alter the heat treat... My guess is it's just a "Monday" knife (I think I've gotten a couple, might have been my poor striking form, though) and I think dude got off pretty good, considering he didn't think it was still under warranty. Not being able to get the same knife sucks if that's what you had your heart set on, but I highly doubt they're just being stubborn, if they could make you the same knife I'd hope they would after honoring the warranty (regardless if they should have or not).

I'm with Andy, a good warranty don't mean jack when you have to rely on something right then, right there.

I buy Busse knives for the proprietary materials, mostly, but the warranty too. They're not always fast, but they're not a mass production, fast food restaurant either. Just bug'em if they're taking too long for your liking, they won't yell at you.

I think the real problem is the guy only has one knife to play with. That's why you always need a backup. Hell, I'll have two similar knives just in case I wear one dull before I have time to sharpen...

Jerry is right, pretty cool you hardly ever see something like this and I think that's the important testament, regardless of why it happened.

I only got one question for the OP, why chop with such a small knife???

In America we have knives, in Russia knives have you...

Uncalled for. Stick to the topic, please.

No need to crack a joke at the expense of a Russian who, BTW, is doing a better job at trying to communicate with us in English than some of us Americans are able to do with English as a primary language...let alone trying to communicate in Russian.

Uncalled for. Stick to the topic, please.

No need to crack a joke at the expense of a Russian who, BTW, is doing a better job at trying to communicate with us in English than some of us Americans are able to do with English as a primary language...let alone trying to communicate in Russian.

wacha be takin bout jax ?:confused:

Garth explained it when he said this:

"I will share here what was stated to you privately in an email from Jerry. Your knife was modified by a third party individual. The buffing that was done on the blade was done to such an extreme temperature that it changed the surface hardness of the steel. This is what led to the failure."

I'm sorry but I'm disappointed, it's a Busse not a made in China piece of s**t!!
surface hardening really sounds poor for buffing, perhaps the crinkled coating is the secret to infi I don't know but if Busse has sold that many blades what of is to replace a hand full in 30 years!
is it really worth and x on the outstanding Busse reputation and outstanding warranty?
I don't know about all of you but the reason I don't hesitate to pay sometimes up to 3 times more for a Busse blade is because of 2 things superior steel and superior warranty!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back