need some design input from y'all khukuri-nuts...

Of course...in reality if you have a khukuri I can't hardly see the need for a saw. And a totally stock khuk makes a fantastic draw knife.

Going strictly on utility rather than the whole Tracker thing, would be a 14" khuk that has enough weight in the right places to chop like a 15 or 17, then:

A wide place on the spine where the max weight is to crack walnuts.

A hole drilled completely thru the handle with a magnifying glass mounted in it for fire starting.

A small compass mounted in the handle.

A small pocketknife sized blade that folds out from the handle in the opposite direction of the blade like on a Puma Waidmesser.

Serrations on back of knife for a firesteel.

A sheath with a tinder pouch and fire steel loop.

Andrew Taylor said:
Nice. What is it? Is that the Austrian coat of arms on the scabbard?

That a Spanish coat of arms (Naval). The knife is a version of the Aitor Oso Blanco once made for the Spanish military. this version of it with the rounded steel butt cap is rare.

n2s

HAMMER AREA ON BACK!!!!:D

i'm still waitin for that pic. But as of right now i like 6e:thumbup:

I still agree with danny...

My thoughts on the "system" havent changed...One knife to do it all doesnt do anything really well...however if ya have the accessories with ya then you are good to go ALL IN ONE PACKAGE!!!!

yea I still like the small knife and file/sawtooth thingy idea!!!!!:D :thumbup:

not2sharp said:
That a Spanish coat of arms (Naval). The knife is a version of the Aitor Oso Blanco once made for the Spanish military. this version of it with the rounded steel butt cap is rare.

n2s

Interesting. I looked on your website, in fact I just lost nearly an hour there. I didn't see it listed. I did notice you have a reproduction Elcho, I have one too, and also a fighting knife with my surname on the reverse of the sheath, tempting!

Leatherface said:
I still agree with danny...

My thoughts on the "system" havent changed...One knife to do it all doesnt do anything really well...however if ya have the accessories with ya then you are good to go ALL IN ONE PACKAGE!!!!

yea I still like the small knife and file/sawtooth thingy idea!!!!!:D :thumbup:

Kinda like this?
41_1.JPG

I've set it aside to "bake" for now....got to get ready for the big Show in Napa.

I think what's going to happen is this:

I'm going to make 2 or 3 "prototypes", with varying styles, and have some folks here pass 'em around and test 'em out. I need some in-the-field feedback (beyond my own).

After the Napa Show, I'll get started on it. I'd like to have a few ready for the Blade Show in June.

dang....I like that name, DIJ....:D :p :thumbup:

Well, this Tracker project all comes full circle,doesnt it?
We get back to the HI tracker combo you made for me a year ago and the idea that you really DO need two knives if you want to cover all the bases well.

I like the look of 6F. I am not at all a fan of saw-backs, although my Ontario AF survival knife has one.

DaddyDett

Finished the first prototype. Has a few changes not seen here on this thread yet. So, I'll try my best to do some explaining.

wsk1.jpg

• 1 - put a hole in the blade. Helps with the draw-knife and push-scrape uses.
  • 2 - joined the drop-guards into a ring. This is probably the most significant change and greatly improves handling. It's everybit as good as a guard at keeping your fingers off the blade with the added benefit of more control with the ring.
  • 3 - kept the sawback (but I'll be making a "plain" version as well - more on that later)
  • 4 - false edge to help in skinning/gutting
  • 5 - all corners are rounded to make handling gentler.
  • 6 - handle material is sand-blasted G10 - cocobolo will also be used.
  • 7 - Official name is WSK: Wilderness Survival Kukri
  • 8 - two lanyard holes (see recent safety article in Blade magazine)
  • 9 - two small holes near the sawback to retain a leather cover for the saw (optional)
  • 10 - I do plan on offering a companion knife (or two! :D)
  • 11 - the main blade is flat-ground, but the draw knife is hollow ground. Both have a convex micro-bevel and are, of course, quite sharp.

See grip positions here:

Chopping grip
grip1.jpg

Choked up chopping grip
grip2.jpg

Detail work grip
grip3.jpg

Reverse grip - blade out
grip4.jpg

Reverse grip - blade in
grip5.jpg

Reverse grip - blade in - thumb extended
grip6.jpg

Draw knife grip (can't see it, but my middle finger is in the hole)
grip7.jpg

Push-scrape grip (index fingers in holes)
grip8.jpg

Blade positions:

Best reason for the recurve: fingers are protected. You can also see that the blade is designed to chop on the sweet spot (unlike the tracker...more like a khukuri).
blade1.jpg

The blade can be turned upside down for skinning/gutting. designed so that the saw "clears" and won't get hung up/in-the-way.
bladeskin.jpg

Saw position. The blade is 1/4" thick and the sawblade at this thickness is pretty limited use. But it does make a cool pattern if you whack a piece of wood with it. :D
bladesaw.jpg

Close-up pic of the saw teeth:

sawback1.jpg

This is the first prototype - and has taken a very long time to make because I have to work on it "in between orders" and my right thumb is half-useless due to an injury.

I need a couple volunteers to test it out. :D

Back