New 14 run

Thats an exceptional run by DLT, were these preorders or will there be a drop to purchase?

IMG_4874.jpg IMG_4875.jpg

Pardon the extreme closeup, but the lighting is fluorescent and therefore terrible. As I suspected with this run of 14s, it is smaller than I'd normally go. The ergonomics are perfect and it feels really good in three fingers, but I just don't know if I'll really want to carry such a small knife, when my bigger ones can do what this one can, and more. (Maybe you guys can convince me?).

However, the covers on this particular knife are OUTSTANDING. I like swirling patterns in ironwood, with lots of contrasting lights and darks. The covers on this are overall dark, but with some nice highlights and a well matched swirling on each side. Really fine. I'm going to handle this one for a few days to make sure, but my initial impression is that it is going to be just too small.

Having held a 14 in hand now, I am more interested in holding a Cripple Creek 14 with two blades. Here's hoping I can get one.

Edit: particularly an ironwood!

I only got one of the single blade variants. Despite the temptation presented by the variety of desirable covers, I abstained from most of them due to me knowing they would likely be too small a knife.

I have a 2 blade variant from the previous run and I love it. I've been carrying it around with me for the past week or two and it has seen a fair amount of use. The added blade and liners add some heft and girth that makes it far more usable, in my opinion. I have both the Northfield Bone and Stag variants coming my way at some point, I am most curious how the nickel silver and brass construction measures up to the all steel construction I have on my current one.

I would like to try and get one of the Cripple Creeks in Ironwood as well, but it will depend on when they are available.

As I've said before, my experience with the first run of Spears was that the single-blade was not viable. Just too skimpy and small, whereas the 2 blade Jack was entirely different and credible. Worth considering that I have small hands for a man, so if I find it toy-like then those with huge scoops for hands are going to be admiring these knives rather than using them :eek::D

Something about proportions because there are small knives that sit well even in a large hand, GEC doesn't seem to have cracked this one quite yet. But as I said, the 2 blade Jack is a very different animal. Many will be satisfied with them. All will be pleased with the quality of finish, 1 blade or two.

As I've said before, my experience with the first run of Spears was that the single-blade was not viable. Just too skimpy and small, whereas the 2 blade Jack was entirely different and credible. Worth considering that I have small hands for a man, so if I find it toy-like then those with huge scoops for hands are going to be admiring these knives rather than using them :eek::D

Something about proportions because there are small knives that sit well even in a large hand, GEC doesn't seem to have cracked this one quite yet. But as I said, the 2 blade Jack is a very different animal. Many will be satisfied with them. All will be pleased with the quality of finish, 1 blade or two.
I am curious how the two-blade feels to open as compared to the single blade? With the secondary blade in front of the primary, is it harder to pull open using the nail nick?
I, personally, love the size of the 14 single blade (and I have decent size hands) but definitely not for everyone. I don't intend for it to be my primary blade I consider it more like a Peanut. I would venture to guess anyone who enjoys carrying a Peanut or similar will enjoy the single blade variety as much the 2-blade. I am hoping the 2-blade version is just as useful but maybe a little more "meat" to it to allow a better purchase on the knife. My only concern is access to the nail nick.

The Spear run had nail nicks on opposite sides so not an issue.

I think you are correct when you draw an analogy with the Peanut, those who like it will not have a problem with the single 14. As for myself, I've never been a fan of the Peanut, tried a few from various manufacturers, but no it has never made a connexion with me.

I'm the weirdo that actually likes the single blade #14 way more than the two blade version. I couldn't sell my two blades fast enough, but the single blades hang around and get carried a lot. Different strokes...

I must also be a weirdo... I love the single blade 14s and hate the double bladed ones.

Funny that, but I have smallish hands too and find that the #14 is more gripable and comfortable with two blades, than one. For comparison, the two-bladed #14s have a similar feel to me, as the GEC #25 WLST with one blade. My two-bladed Beagle GEC #83 also feels good in my hand

Last edited:
I don’t find the 14 single blade uncomfortable, but it is small. I want to like it because the covers and overall aesthetic is beautiful on the one I got. I have to justify using it enough to kick out something else because of how I’ve limited my buying (budget and collection size must stay small for me).

I’ve never used a peanut but I was gifted a tiny toothpick that I never use because it is too small. Perfect for my wife though as a purse knife.

Back