New 14 run

The two blades look even nicer than the singles to me. I'm probably going to have to sell more knives before I buy anymore, due to some medical expenses for my kiddos. Those of you who snag a Cripple Creek in ironwood make sure to post lots of pictures!

I wasn't going to buy any more #14s from this run, I was happy having two of the single blades.

But then I wanted to try the two blade version and I ended up liking it pretty well. So, then I was happy with three from this run.

I really wasn't interested in a stag version, I'm not as big of a fan of stag as many of you are. I looked at them as they popped up but nothing really moved me to buy one. It just seemed like such a small knife to put heavily textured stag on it. That was until I saw this one.

This one had unusual stag in that it was pretty plain and smooth but had these really cool scars in it. Something about it just fit the little knife so well and really spoke to me. Not to mention the price had been reduced because everybody was passing it over, seems everybody was buying up the gnarly stuff and wasn't interested in this one. Lucky me!!!

In the Cowboy World we have a saying; When buying a dog, always pick the runt of the litter. They have to be tough to survive, fighting for milk against all the bigger dogs. If they survive, that's the one you want. This knife reminded me of the runt of the litter. :D

That is gorgeous John! I love the marks on it like that. It reminds me walrus tusk.

Thanks to everybody again, especially Bill Howard and Charlie C.
Thank you Lyle for such a cool crisp classic two blade beauty. :cool:

Two left now, right? The Cripple Creek canvas micarta and desert ironwood? (Also, Charlie's black beauty barlow)

Edit: forgot the stag Cripple Creek!

Y5XuIz1.jpg

Dave, I used to think like that, but then I decided, "Why have good knives if you only use the mediocre ones?" I like firm pulls and good snap, so that's what I carry. And like John, I will carry just about any knife I own, as long as it's suitable for the occasion. Fortunately I'm one of those people that are "easy" on things, so I can carry a knife a few times and keep it pretty new looking. I rarely use pocket knives for food, so even carbon steel can get a fair amount of use and not show any patina. For my regular carbon users I normally force a patina to protect against rust in the summer time. It gets mighty hot and humid in St. Louis.

Dave, I used to think like that, but then I decided, "Why have good knives if you only use the mediocre ones?" I like firm pulls and good snap, so that's what I carry. And like John, I will carry just about any knife I own, as long as it's suitable for the occasion. Fortunately I'm one of those people that are "easy" on things, so I can carry a knife a few times and keep it pretty new looking. I rarely use pocket knives for food, so even carbon steel can get a fair amount of use and not show any patina. For my regular carbon users I normally force a patina to protect against rust in the summer time. It gets mighty hot and humid in St. Louis.
I know what you're saying, and you are correct, :thumbsup: they don't do much good sitting in all these knife rolls. Many times, I will purchase a knife with the full intention of using it, after I receive it I can't do it, it's too nice. :rolleyes: Oh, I'm sure my physiologist Son has a label for me,
but what the heck, here I am, enjoying my collection and actually many users.:D Thank you, brother, for your input it is very much appreciated. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Fantastic! I guess I'm one of those collectors that has a hard time using a knife unless it has a flaw or I just don't like it. :p
Ha ha! I thought I was the only one who convinced myself and justified that. I'm definitely with you on that! Good call!

Ha ha! I thought I was the only one who convinced myself and justified that. I'm definitely with you on that! Good call!
Well now, at least I'm not the only one with CCNK "Can't Carry New Knife" :thumbsup::thumbsup::p:D

Last edited:
There were definitely a few SFOs from this run that I wasn't able to grab that really wish I could have. Honestly, of the 28 variations this run I wouldn't mind having all but maybe 4-5 of them. Barry's smooth bone turned out great, the green bone with boot shield really grew on me and would love to have one of those, Mike's red sawcut bone I think looks amazing, the Circle A yellow bone...what an epic run (for those of us who like the 14 pattern).
All of the other amazing SFOs that I wanted I was able to acquire. Except one...Lyle's. What a knife.
I just didn't know how to get in on that one when the time came to reserve them and figured it was, much like the TCs, basically unobtanium for me. I am also seriously tapped out after this run so budget has been a concern. However, I reached out to Lyle recently about his stories and his SFO and future reserves, etc. He seems like such a cool guy I was beyond happy that he responded and entertained my questions. I figured, at best, I could at least get added to his contact list and would be able to get in on whatever the next SFO might be.
And then I got an invoice today!!!!!!!!! I think Lyle's SFO turned out truly stunning and I just couldn't pass up the opportunity. I am feeling so blessed right now.
Thank you Lyle for keeping me in mind :)
GoodKnifeDay.jpg
14-Smooth-White-Bone-800.jpg

Back