NEW 4.7 Thread

TY STD! It's been a little while since I've done a try stick. Still trying to make my TS as nice as yours and at the same time getting a hell of a hand and forearm workout!!!

OBX, you and your XL try sticks, I love it!

I should be digging up through try stick thread, but how do you get that hook cut?

OBX, you and your XL try sticks, I love it!

I should be digging up through try stick thread, but how do you get that hook cut?

Very carefully!!! I damn near cut my my finger open this morning. You'll need to try a bunch of different grips and use different parts of the blade to work the wood. But I use a lot of push cuts and lots of scraping and twisting the blade to clean out the channel you carve out. It can be hell on the edge especially with treated lumber.

I'm not trying to stir anything up, I just want to make sure I didn't miss something.

The December 1st Friday update said of the GSO 4.7s "Presale orders are all shipping out next week" which was last week. Did people get shipping notices and knives? I did not. And that's ok! Unless I am the only one and then I'll be sad.

I don't mind waiting if there are still outstanding orders.

That is all...

Good question. Do we all use the same definitions for the various sales? These are mine. :)
Starter: Obviously the original starter campaign from Spring of 2015.
Pre-orders: Everything sold after the starter campaign but before the actual hardware is being manufactured.
Pre-sales: Knives sold after the hardware is in house but before the knives begin shipping.
"Weekly Sales": My term for the Monday, Wednesday, or whenever they hold them sales that pop up periodically.
So, in this case, I think that Survive is talking about the knives that were sold between around December of 2015 and February of 2016.

Good question. Do we all use the same definitions for the various sales? These are mine. :)
Starter: Obviously the original starter campaign from Spring of 2015.
Pre-orders: Everything sold after the starter campaign but before the actual hardware is being manufactured.
Pre-sales: Knives sold after the hardware is in house but before the knives begin shipping.
"Weekly Sales": My term for the Monday, Wednesday, or whenever they hold them sales that pop up periodically.
So, in this case, I think that Survive is talking about the knives that were sold between around December of 2015 and February of 2016.

This, and I think the "presales" that S! was referencing in its most recent monthly update were specifically labeled as such when they were offered on the Survive GSO Series page. The 7/7 presale that was labeled as a "presale" on the Survive website up until a month or so ago when it was no longer available would be the type of "presale" that S! was referencing in its update IMO.

Last edited:
There are still a few of those outstanding, due to handles needing a little extra attention.

Have I mentioned that we are looking forward to being past these? :/

Not worried, Ellie. There are sayings for both our situations:

For me: Good things come to those who wait.

For you: That which does not kill us makes us stronger.
When this is over, you and guy will be the strongest people on the planet!!!

Guy told me this 3v is at 60-61 Rockwell but feels it's a little easier to sharpen then the old 3v.

Nice beefy try stick OBX!

I finally got the edge on my 4.7 dull on the weekend :D, so I thought I'd try resharpen it on the little flallkniven DC4.
This is my very first CPM 3V knife, and I'm pleasantly surprised to find that it isn't as difficult to sharpen it as some people have said 3V can be to sharpen in general.
I couldn't get it back to the "Guy Seiford razor factory edge", but I think it's not far off!

Nice beefy try stick OBX!

I finally got the edge on my 4.7 dull on the weekend :D, so I thought I'd try resharpen it on the little flallkniven DC4.
This is my very first CPM 3V knife, and I'm pleasantly surprised to find that it isn't as difficult to sharpen it as some people have said 3V can be to sharpen in general.
I couldn't get it back to the "Guy Seiford razor factory edge", but I think it's not far off!

TY! Try stroping after the stone and you'll get it pretty close.

Just in case anyone hasn't checked the S!K site, there are some Cru Forge V 2nd's available at the moment. I just ordered one myself. Good luck.

CFV might be my favorite steel these days!! Great stuff and easy to bring back to crazy sharpness....just saying!

Have I mentioned that we are looking forward to being past these? :/
Hang in there! We're rootin' for y'all in the shop! Looking forward to better days for all of us.

This seems to be a common misconception. I'm terrible at sharpening, but I've had pretty good results with 3v on a diamond stone and even just a strop. Glad you've had a good experience!

This seems to be a common misconception. I'm terrible at sharpening, but I've had pretty good results with 3v on a diamond stone and even just a strop. Glad you've had a good experience!

I'm amazed that despite this particular 3V protocol having the toughness, corrosion resistance and edge retention that it does, it's still pretty straight forward to sharpen :confused:

I don't think I'll ever buy a knife in 1095 or 01 steel again!

Last edited:
I was disappointed when I missed the factory first Cru Forge V(due to time zone) but still managed to get a factory 2nd.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Oh wells... All the more to treat it like a go-to-beater/abuse knife.

The new heat treat 20cv and 3v are easier to sharpen then the original 3v and 20cv that I bought 3 years ago. The CFV strikes a chord with me. I am a HUGE fan of 01 but I think CFV might be better. Anyway I'd love to see a 5.1 and or a 7/7 in CFV. All you would need were your jeans and a good leather belt to sharpen it.

I'm amazed that despite this particular 3V protocol having the toughness, corrosion resistance and edge retention that it does, it's still pretty straight forward to sharpen :confused:

I don't think I'll ever buy a knife in 1095 or 01 steel again!

As far as I am concerned the only advantage that any simple carbon steel has over 3V is the cost.

Back