1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

NEW 4.7 Thread

Discussion in 'Survive! Knives' started by OBX351, May 30, 2016.

1. TRfromMT

TRfromMT Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2016
    Great looking 4.7, Munzer. I have the same build.

2. Munzer

Munzer Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 23, 2014
    The peened finish and sharp spine are also great improvements over the previous versions.
    Seriously good upgrades all around.

3. Brian77

Brian77 KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 27, 2014
    Just a follow up. Grog has been very generous in loaning out his 4.7. I have been to busy lately, but today it is the EDC for the farm work. Several of us used it for cutting open bales. That really eats up an edge. A Leatherman will go flat dull in about 3 bales. My Griptiallian in D2 will do maybe 4 or 5 bales. The plastic and wrap is not he issue so much as the hay itself. the wrap is sucked down in, and fescue hay especially will dull anything quickly. I am really, really liking this Cruforge steel.

More use to follow shortly. Oh, and I am also really liking the handle, and the sheath. This handle style and ergos are very similar to Nathan handles and some other custom makers.... and are a style I have always use when I make knives....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Silver Needle

Silver Needle

Jul 14, 2014
    Pics always make me feel warm and fuzzy inside!

I'm looking forward to your thoughts and the results from all the (ab)use.

Keep up the good work!

Lastly, how great is Grog?! Thanks for getting these GSOs out to folks. You rock!

5. Angry Hippie

Angry Hippie

May 21, 2016
    Has anyone with a 4.7 in CPM-154 had a chance to really give it a workout? Just curious how well this steel will perform, from Survive! With Peters heat treat.

6. Karoi

Karoi Unobtanium Member Gold Member

Sep 7, 2014
    I ordered a factory 2nd which I'm also hopping will arrive in Jan/Feb. I'm most interested to see what the edge retention will be like!

7. mlmcasual

mlmcasual

Jun 10, 2013
    Would be curious to know how the 154 compares to the 20cv.. I know it's a bit apples oranges but with the PHT on the 154 I bet it can hold it's own.

8. Clip.

Clip.

Jul 25, 2012
    20CV has more vanadium and chromium carbides, very different personality than the 154CM.

9. mlmcasual

mlmcasual

Jun 10, 2013
    I believe the 20cv is tougher then the 154.. but honestly, the profiles of the GSO are so robust I can't imagine it being a problem..

10. Angry Hippie

Angry Hippie

May 21, 2016
    CPM-154 is definitely the tougher of the two stainless options. 20cv is more wear resistant and has higher corrosion resistance.

11. MatthewSB

MatthewSB Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2013
    I made a thread about it:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...d-CPM-154-Also-handles-Micro-Textured-and-Not

Bottom line - They're both plenty tough and neither rusts. 20CV holds an edge longer, but is noticeably more difficult to sharpen. I prefer CPM154, and can't imagine a better steel for a 4-5" user.

12. Angry Hippie

Angry Hippie

May 21, 2016
    Awesome! Thanks for the review!

13. mlmcasual

mlmcasual

Jun 10, 2013
    Awesome! Thanks for the review.. I have always been very happy with 154 from benchmade I just like how easy the 154 is to sharpen so would be curious to get my hands on the SK one.

14. Karoi

Sep 7, 2014
    Woohoo - just got a shipping notice for my 4.7 factory 2nd in CPM 154 :D

15. Angry Hippie

Angry Hippie

May 21, 2016
    Awesome! When did you order?

16. Fancier

Fancier

Jul 1, 2012
    Looks like somebody heard you. ;)

17. Karoi

Sep 7, 2014
    End of November I think

Its always a nice surprise to receive a shipping notice earlier than anticipated!

18. Angry Hippie

Angry Hippie

May 21, 2016
    Same here, a factory 2nd, in 3V, the day before Thanksgiving. Hopefully mine ships soon, I believe Thursday will be the end of the quoted 30 business days...

19. Fancier

Fancier

Jul 1, 2012
    4.7 in CFV 2nds appear to be available with brown handles. :)

20. Fancier

Fancier

Jul 1, 2012
    I still have a 4.7 2nd on order from early October. Fingers Crossed!