NEW 4.7 Thread

Just a follow up. Grog has been very generous in loaning out his 4.7. I have been to busy lately, but today it is the EDC for the farm work. Several of us used it for cutting open bales. That really eats up an edge. A Leatherman will go flat dull in about 3 bales. My Griptiallian in D2 will do maybe 4 or 5 bales. The plastic and wrap is not he issue so much as the hay itself. the wrap is sucked down in, and fescue hay especially will dull anything quickly. I am really, really liking this Cruforge steel.

More use to follow shortly. Oh, and I am also really liking the handle, and the sheath. This handle style and ergos are very similar to Nathan handles and some other custom makers.... and are a style I have always use when I make knives....

pQytGLgl.jpg

s1wtaxy.jpg

AvsC4aX.jpg

K5o5osF.jpg

66TbWAo.jpg

e7Lhrpl.jpg

Pics always make me feel warm and fuzzy inside!

I'm looking forward to your thoughts and the results from all the (ab)use.

Keep up the good work!

Lastly, how great is Grog?! Thanks for getting these GSOs out to folks. You rock!

Has anyone with a 4.7 in CPM-154 had a chance to really give it a workout? Just curious how well this steel will perform, from Survive! With Peters heat treat.

Has anyone with a 4.7 in CPM-154 had a chance to really give it a workout? Just curious how well this steel will perform, from Survive! With Peters heat treat.

I ordered a factory 2nd which I'm also hopping will arrive in Jan/Feb. I'm most interested to see what the edge retention will be like!

Would be curious to know how the 154 compares to the 20cv.. I know it's a bit apples oranges but with the PHT on the 154 I bet it can hold it's own.

Would be curious to know how the 154 compares to the 20cv.. I know it's a bit apples oranges but with the PHT on the 154 I bet it can hold it's own.

20CV has more vanadium and chromium carbides, very different personality than the 154CM.

I believe the 20cv is tougher then the 154.. but honestly, the profiles of the GSO are so robust I can't imagine it being a problem..

CPM-154 is definitely the tougher of the two stainless options. 20cv is more wear resistant and has higher corrosion resistance.

I made a thread about it:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...d-CPM-154-Also-handles-Micro-Textured-and-Not

Bottom line - They're both plenty tough and neither rusts. 20CV holds an edge longer, but is noticeably more difficult to sharpen. I prefer CPM154, and can't imagine a better steel for a 4-5" user.

I made a thread about it:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...d-CPM-154-Also-handles-Micro-Textured-and-Not

Bottom line - They're both plenty tough and neither rusts. 20CV holds an edge longer, but is noticeably more difficult to sharpen. I prefer CPM154, and can't imagine a better steel for a 4-5" user.

Awesome! Thanks for the review.. I have always been very happy with 154 from benchmade I just like how easy the 154 is to sharpen so would be curious to get my hands on the SK one.

Woohoo - just got a shipping notice for my 4.7 factory 2nd in CPM 154 :D

End of November I think

Same here, a factory 2nd, in 3V, the day before Thanksgiving. Hopefully mine ships soon, I believe Thursday will be the end of the quoted 30 business days...

Same here, a factory 2nd, in 3V, the day before Thanksgiving. Hopefully mine ships soon, I believe Thursday will be the end of the quoted 30 business days...

I still have a 4.7 2nd on order from early October. Fingers Crossed!

Back