New Becker Handle

Hey Everybody...

Things are moving along again....YEAH.....The Micarta handle slabs will be available at the Ka-Bar website at about BLADE Show time.......There will be at about that same time a VERY limited run of the BK77 which will also be available only at the Ka-Bar site........ and hopefully at the Ka-Bar booth at BLADE.....The people who are machining the Micarta slabs also do wood and I am going to ask you guys (the most likely purchasers) to help me decide which woods to try....The original MACHAX had walnut scales because the old Case "bolo" which was one of the inspirations for that knife had walnut slabs and I love american walnut...It is a bit soft and the machining leaves a surface which will require some smoothing but ,it sure is pretty....Maple is harder and resists splitting better and, as it is much more neutrally colored you can stain it any old way you want to......ANYHOW here is what is available....cherry, walnut, cocobolo, bloodwood, and maple...Please let me know your thoughts....

I too am eagerly awaiting Micarta slbs for MY NECKER....Soon come, soon come...

All Best...

ethan

Those handles are options of what are availible for Ethan's choosing. BTW Francis, that is not a BK7. Your shy a digit.

-BOB
Ahhhhh. So if I understand you correctly, Ethan has to make these handles available to us. We can't order them directly through you. Is that correct?

Never mind. Ethan already answered my question. :)

As far as wood handles go, I've always been partial to cocobolo.

I too am eagerly awaiting Micarta slbs for MY NECKER....Soon come, soon come...
All Best..ethan

Ahhhhhh...green micarta....

If it will speed things up I promise to order a set for my necker.:):thumbup:

And a couple of spare scaled neckers too:eek::eek::thumbup:

Cocobola, walnut, and maple are all nice...in that order.
Thanks Ethan for helping us out with this.

Those handles are options of what are availible for Ethan's choosing. BTW Francis, that is not a BK7. Your shy a digit.

-BOB

Interesting. So what your saying is, not only is this thread going to cost me the price of a 3 sets of handles, one for each of my beckers, I'm going to need a BK77 too? That sucks. Go back to lurking... ;)

I like cocobola, walnut, and maple. It looks like the cherry and bloodwood are a lot thinner than the orig. grivory handles

Glad to see cocobola is popular..........I'll be ordering for a 2 and a 9. Bk11??? any pics of the scales for that?? If you see this Ethan, I'm the guy who copied you on my note to KaBar about the KaBar / Becker collaboration. nf said......ciao, bill h

I am going to ask you guys (the most likely purchasers) to help me decide which woods to try....

The cocobolo in the photo really looks great. On a black blade it reminds me of the old classic Smith & Wesson revolver look. It would be my top choice. :cool:

I am not crazy about plain maple, though it wears like steel. But I'm a total sucker for really curly flame maple with a nice dark walnut stain and a hand rubbed finish so it looks like the back of a great fiddle or stock on an old Tennessee long rifle. Hard to resist. In fact, more so than even cocobolo. :D

I've found walnut and water, or walnut and hard use, don't go together very well. Even though it looks awesome when it's finished well. Tends not to stay that way very long. Note there are not many walnut handled knives on the market... unless it has been stabilized in which case it would be fine.

Micarta is tougher than any of those woods, but I have several knives with maple handles, and it seems to hold up well enough. You can always stain it.

Ethan,

Will the micarta be as thick as the Grivory? If it isn't, I'm sticking with 99 and 44/100's percent pure Grivory.

Thanks for the pics, SideshowBob! Those scales will get a lot more people appreciating the designs or at least owning Beckers with prettier handles.

Ethan,

Will the micarta be as thick as the Grivory? If it isn't, I'm sticking with 99 and 44/100's percent pure Grivory.

Very good point. The Grivory fits my hands to a 'T'. Was the main reason I was so impressed with the 2 and 9 when I rec'd them. The 2 being thicker filled my hand perfectly, but the 9 feels great too! Hope you keep them that way............

Awesome! The Micarta slabs look great!! Can't wait to pick up a set for my BK9 and my Necker!!

In my experience maple does not hold up to wet conditions very well...pretty prone to rot...although that varies by variety.

I agree with alx21...some orange G10 would be sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

Back