New Collaboration with JK Knives

Okay guys, I've been thinking this over a lot and I think this will simplify the rental process, keep paypal happy, and allow me to make a little money for the rentals still, but not a ton.

I'm going to charge $26 + shipping for the rentals through paypal goods and services, and here's how that breaks down for the sake of transparency.

$20 is a returnable security deposit.
$1 is for paypal fees
$1 goes to the Mighty Oaks Foundation Charity
$4 I keep

If you make a purchase/order within 30 days of renting, tell us for a $5 discount on your purchase. This is why I have to pass on part of the paypal fee, otherwise I lose money on every rental. This means that your net cost to try a knife you intend to buy but want to make sure it's the right knife, is $1 plus shipping (shipping is between $10 and $15 in many cases).

Easy trip to the woods today to try out some gear and practice winter fires and cooking while trying to get over a mild cold. The pocket woodcrafter is a really nice little knife for wood working and fire starting. It's a really nice pairing to the sick nasty, the sick nasty for food and hunting and the woodcrafter for crafting wood, starting knives, etc. This follows my line of thinking with traditional folders, one blade for dirty tasks and one for cleaner/food tasks.

Little bit of fatwood and some sticks from dead trees or brush piles and we're in business after a little while. It was windier than expected so I had to start the fire twice after the 1st blew out pretty quickly. Used some dried cattail to get the second one going really well, and I added a better windscreen. I also added a few more feathers of fatwood and tinder

Fire 1
c1rN40Sl.jpg

G6QFpkhl.jpg

GCCBSi1l.jpg

Fire 2
whyxAjul.jpg

glpTjGMl.jpg

mU5Cwcul.jpg

Ne7rgNIl.jpg

Xr2Ms9gl.jpg

Mocking up a new design last night. So far, this handle is pretty nice. Bit of a CBK, lamb skinner, and Persian knife overall aesthetic, mixed with heavy influence from the Sick Nasty being released this month, and taking into account the feedback from the guard/no guard thread. Slicey Dicey!

y4SLswql.jpg

Mocking up a new design last night. So far, this handle is pretty nice. Bit of a CBK, lamb skinner, and Persian knife overall aesthetic, mixed with heavy influence from the Sick Nasty being released this month, and taking into account the feedback from the guard/no guard thread. Slicey Dicey!

y4SLswql.jpg
Handle looks good but aren’t we missing something?;)

Nice, a whole lot of information in that smile.:rolleyes: Guess I’m going to have to keep watching.;)

Not quite sure on the blade's orientation and all that quite yet, so I don't want to show something I'm less sure of. The handle is much further along in the conceptualization process I needed to get the design in hand to figure out what to do with the blade to make sure the curves all work out, and there are a lot of them.

Aiming at a longer, sweeping belly knife like the sick nasty that. So not quite a Nessmuk or a Canadian belt knife but something of the same blade edge concept, and a pretty similar aesthetic to what the smallee Sick Nasty blade profile had. There are some more design elements in the blade's spine on this one since it's longer and I have more room to work with.

The sick nasty knives are scheduled to be ready for sale around next weekend. There will be 3 available for sale, 1 is expected to sell locally and 1 will go into the rental stock. If you would like to claim one or try one out before buying one, please PM or email me at .

As a reminder, the price is $130 shipped for the knife and add $15 for a leather pocket sheath. I will update this with pics when I have them

Cheers!

Edit 1/13/20: These shipped out today!

Last edited:
Handle looks good but aren’t we missing something?;)

Let's see if I can get this to work. Coloring with the boy and making prototypes was fun too.

As mentioned earlier, not sold on the blade orientation and such. It's close but I think I want to flatten it out a bit, especially at the front. But, I think that's what made the sick nasty nice as a slicer. I need to get the tip down to make it more useful for y'all.

The handle is splendid. Nice grove for the forefinger, slightly more subtle at the pinky and then very slight curves for the middle and ring fingers. Rear contour follows the hand's curve nice. Flat spots on the front that act like subtle thumb scallops. Slight groove at the base of the spine for a thumb resting spot and then the upper lip at the tip allows the forefinger to stretch out and get some detail work to be done. If it were only for skinning and cleaning game, I think it would be solid as is. It's a bit too much of the lamb skinner influence, I think, to be really versatile in other tasks an outdoorsman might want though.

I think the changes I'll make will be to rotate the whole blade down a bit and then reduce the curvature of the front. I think the handle is going to end up on a few different blade shapes though, as I foresee this working out really nicely on a curvey clip point.

Did you post your write up on the pocket woodcrafter anywhere else? Looks like a handy design that should also work well as a skinning and game processing knife. Did you use the spine or edge for striking the fire rod? It seems a squared spine is popular with the bushcraft crowd where others may prefer it rounded. Overall I like the looks if it and look forward to hearing what others say.

Did you post your write up on the pocket woodcrafter anywhere else? Looks like a handy design that should also work well as a skinning and game processing knife. Did you use the spine or edge for striking the fire rod? It seems a squared spine is popular with the bushcraft crowd where others may prefer it rounded. Overall I like the looks if it and look forward to hearing what others say.

I used the spine. The scanivex version that is in the picture has the sharper spine John leaves on his knives but the saber grind was rounded. We are going with the scandivex and sharp spine.

There were some comments here bit I didn't get a ton of feedback posted on the forums. I have a document at home with the details on all of the feedback I got from their conversations. @Worldwatcher @Brhowser87 @Deinos and woodysone woodysone all tried out the pocket woodcrafter in one of the grinds. I believe Worldwatcher and Brhowser wrote in something here, the rest of the feedback was through private messages. I tried digging back through this thread to find them and link it in but ran out of time, so maybe later I'll dig up those posts' links for ease of reference.

I hope to get some time and adequate lighting to do a little video introduction of each model, but I've never done a table top video so you may have to suffer through the laptop camera presentation setup I do for school, which I really don't care for but might get the job done for now.

I've been EDC'ing the saber ground version around the house in my insulated vest, because it's winter, and it's really grown on me as a utility. I think for this design, the scandivex is the winner for versatily and being better as a small woods knife.

If you want to try it out, PM me and I can get one headed your way for personal inspection.

The price is $130 shipped for the knife and add $15 for a leather pocket sheath. There are 3 available with 2 pocket sheaths currently available for them.

Guys and gals, I'm super pumped on how these turned out. John did a great job with these and I am feeling very thankful for all the help he's given me the past few months to finally be able to offer these to you. His brother did a great job on the leather pocket sheaths as well so I'm grateful to be able to offer those at my cost to you as an accessory. I don't think you'll ever wear out the knife or sheath if you take care of them.

I owe you better pictures, and I will get them when the lighting is better and I have time. For now, here's the best I can do.

o2miltMl.jpg

Udi6wK9l.jpg

N1CJG6Xl.jpg

XOaMLKml.jpg

A3K9cydl.jpg

0Cqwq9fl.jpg

Sxxm0wyl.jpg

I would also like to thank y'all that have been supportive of this new journey for John and I. I know we're just getting into the fun part and we hope to keep this up for while, but it sure feels like there has been a lot of work the past few months to get here. Special shoutout to the testers that helped shaped the final product that I'm able to offer for sale, @Deinos, woodysone woodysone , @Worldwatcher, and @Brhowser87. You guys have been very helpful, along with a handful of other great forum members that I've had conversation with in PM's and emails.

These are available for immediate sale, I'll be working on getting some professional looking spec sheets and things to go along with these when I ship them. For now, here's the basics.

Blade: 3/32" thick O1 tool steel
Blade Length: 2 5/8" blade length
Handle Length: 4" handle length
Handle materials: Black micarta with aluminum pins, hollow pin at the rear
Weight without sheath: 2.6 oz

These are handmade individually so dimensions may vary slightly from knife to knife.

Last edited:
I think that turned out great, should be excellent for EDC. As far as reviews I prefer pics and written comments to video. I know many people spend a lot of time making videos for knives but I very seldom click on a video link here or on any forum. I do read reviews accompanied by pics. I'm happy you mentioned the leather work done by John's brother. I think his work is very good.
bikerector bikerector I will send you an email.

That’s a good looking knife. Curious to see some reviews once they get out into the wild.

I also agree re videos. I seldom will click on them but will scroll through pictures and the descriptions.

Last edited:
F fishiker and O Ogilthorpe if that is the case with the video, I may do a write-up of my own then as I used to do that for a bicycle website I ran as promotion for my sponsors and to generate a little race income with advertisements. I'm much more comfortable writing up something and adding pictures, but I had thought a lot of people do videos because people wanted to see them. I can do both, I suppose, to get both interests for different people.

Regarding reviews from other people, that will be a tough one for a while simply because there won't be a lot of them made, and even less if they don't sell. This is where I'm really hoping the renting takes off, very low-risk way to try out a funky looking knife, or try 3 at a time and see which one(s) you like.

Thank you both for the input, you've given me different perspectives to consider and I need all the feedback I can get right now to help make this thing stick long-term.

Cheers!

I've been getting a lot of questions about the Sick Nasty and Pocket woodcrafter on facebook from interested parties. It's affirming to get some interest in the design, even more so when they're interested enough to start asking about how to get one. Looking forward to seeing where this ends up in a few months.

Back