New Collaboration with KnifeResearch

GianniLion

LionSteel Moderator
Happy to inform everyone that we have started a new collaboration with the firm KnifeResearch Italy.

Kniferesearch.com

Molletta, designer of SR-1, has done for us a new drawing of a fix blade, Legion.
Some technical informations:
Steel: Sleipner, Hoddeholm Sweden
Blade length: 170 mm
Blade thickness: 5.6 mm
Overall length: 310 mm
Hardness: 58-59 HRC
Handle: G10
Weigh: 410 gr
Available: February 2011

Molletta renderings
287_1.jpg

288_1.jpg

289_1.jpg

290_1.jpg

Last edited:
VAI TOMMY!!!!

Tommy is a great guy and molletta is the best designer!
preorered mine, convex edge, stonwash finish and G-10 handle :cool:
take yours, you'll happy 300% for sure
Maxx

Is the CC hollow-grind or flat-ground? Is the swedge non-sharpened? Warranty? Shipping to Australia?

Is there a better place for these questions?

David.

Hi, I've no direct connections to Kniferesearch or lionsteel but here is what I can say about your questions.

the blades are flat ground, the CC is flat ground too.

the swedge is not sharpened. is just a false edge, it's not a double edged knife at all ;)

the warranty should cover defects from manufacturer and SOMETHING MORE, but wait for further and more specific replies to that.

shipping to Australia.... why not? ;)

I think this is the right place for questions like these, but if you have more specific questions, feel free to write an inquiry directly to kniferesearch using this link:

http://www.kniferesearch.com/shop/contact_us.php

BTW I have mine already ordered and paid too ;)

Hi, I've no direct connections to Kniferesearch or lionsteel but here is what I can say about your questions.

the blades are flat ground, the CC is flat ground too.

the swedge is not sharpened. is just a false edge, it's not a double edged knife at all ;)

the warranty should cover defects from manufacturer and SOMETHING MORE, but wait for further and more specific replies to that.

shipping to Australia.... why not? ;)

I think this is the right place for questions like these, but if you have more specific questions, feel free to write an inquiry directly to kniferesearch using this link:

http://www.kniferesearch.com/shop/contact_us.php

BTW I have mine already ordered and paid too ;)

Thanks for that. I would have ordinarily gone the contact page route but like you mentioned, I saw some prompt replies to this forum and I thought the information would be handy for others, as well.

Looks like an excellent blade at a very fair price, pending shipping costs. I haven't had a blade in Sleipner steel before. I read it is comparable to D2?

David.

Thanks for that. I would have ordinarily gone the contact page route but like you mentioned, I saw some prompt replies to this forum and I thought the information would be handy for others, as well.

Looks like an excellent blade at a very fair price, pending shipping costs. I haven't had a blade in Sleipner steel before. I read it is comparable to D2?

David.

D2 and Sleipner are somewhat similar because they are in the same cathegory of semi-inox steels, however....

the chemical compositions are quite different, and this is reflected in a very different response in terms of performance.

D2 chemical composition:C=1.55%, Mn=0.3%, Si=0.3%, Cr=12%, Mo=1%, Va=1% Ni=0.3%

Sleipner chemical composition: C=0.9% Si=0.9% Mn=0.5% Cr=7.8% Mo=2.5% V=0.5%

D2 has more Chromium, it reduces a lot the resilience of this steel (thoughness) making it just a bit thougher than inox steels. it's about 30J/cm^2 at an hardness of about 60 hrc.

Sleipner instead at the same hardness has a resilience superior than the one of A2 tool steel, it means about 60 or more J/cm^2 so the resilience is the double.

D2 has more carbon and chromium, this gives D2 an higher abrasive wear, which translates in a steel hard to sharpen. field tests prove it.

Sleipner is easier to sharpen A LOT.

the corrosion resistence is pratically the same, in my direct experience Sleipner proved a bit more corrosion resistent in humid conditions and sea water than D2.

edge holding: Sleipner wins, for sure.

maximum sharpness achievable Sleipner due to a finer grain structure.

in the particular case of Kniferesearch the heat-treats will be done maniacally, so you can stay sure the steel will revail all it's potentials ;)

in conclusions... I've tested both, liked sleipner more, that's it.

I repeat, I have no interest and have no direct connections to kniferesearch, but I'm a collector who loves to use his blades and I've just given my experience, impressions and knowledge to you.

hope this helps. ;)

D2 and Sleipner are somewhat similar because they are in the same cathegory of semi-inox steels, however....

the chemical compositions are quite different, and this is reflected in a very different response in terms of performance.

D2 chemical composition:C=1.55%, Mn=0.3%, Si=0.3%, Cr=12%, Mo=1%, Va=1% Ni=0.3%

Sleipner chemical composition: C=0.9% Si=0.9% Mn=0.5% Cr=7.8% Mo=2.5% V=0.5%

D2 has more Chromium, it reduces a lot the resilience of this steel (thoughness) making it just a bit thougher than inox steels. it's about 30J/cm^2 at an hardness of about 60 hrc.

Sleipner instead at the same hardness has a resilience superior than the one of A2 tool steel, it means about 60 or more J/cm^2 so the resilience is the double.

D2 has more carbon and chromium, this gives D2 an higher abrasive wear, which translates in a steel hard to sharpen. field tests prove it.

Sleipner is easier to sharpen A LOT.

the corrosion resistence is pratically the same, in my direct experience Sleipner proved a bit more corrosion resistent in humid conditions and sea water than D2.

edge holding: Sleipner wins, for sure.

maximum sharpness achievable Sleipner due to a finer grain structure.

in the particular case of Kniferesearch the heat-treats will be done maniacally, so you can stay sure the steel will revail all it's potentials ;)

in conclusions... I've tested both, liked sleipner more, that's it.

I repeat, I have no interest and have no direct connections to kniferesearch, but I'm a collector who loves to use his blades and I've just given my experience, impressions and knowledge to you.

hope this helps. ;)

Thank you very much for your insights; they are most appreciated. Your explanations of your experience with the steels in comparison are quite helpful.

David.

Is the CC hollow-grind or flat-ground? Is the swedge non-sharpened? Warranty? Shipping to Australia?

Is there a better place for these questions?

David.

flat grind

Tommy knows a lot about knives and molletta knows a ton, designs by them are the top, wil serve you well for a looong time
swedge is aided for batoning afaik, looking at past molletta designs

shipping to the whole wolrd is ok I think, tommy can't be stopped easily, BIG guy with a giant heart!

my 2 euro cents
Maxx

Last edited:
WOW! I think I need one of these. Are there any US dealers that will be getting them, or do we have to order through the Knife Research site? How much is shipping to the US? Also does anyone have any more info on Knife Research? I'm really excited about this one. Thanks!

I tried ordering one of these from Kniferesearch, but it won't let me get past the shipping part. I signed up on their webpage and everything. Does anyone know how I can obtain a Legion knife? I have a Molleta knife and I just love it. These are great knifes. I would consider them the Italian equivalent of Busse or Fehrman knives.

WOW! I think I need one of these. Are there any US dealers that will be getting them, or do we have to order through the Knife Research site? How much is shipping to the US? Also does anyone have any more info on Knife Research? I'm really excited about this one. Thanks!

Kniferesearch is a small brand of knives whose goal is to achieve the best blades possible. period :D

lionsteel does the "dirty job" offering it's CNC machines and craftmanship to actually produce the knives, but Kniferesearch line of knives are designed and projected from two great guys. a certain "tommy" and a certain "molletta".

heat treats are maniacally studied by molletta himself who is an absolute expert in metallurgy.

shipping to US is unknown for the moment, of course the knives will be shipped anywhere in the world but.... the site is born from a few months. it's still under construction. some options are not still available like for example international shipping.

be sure that if you fill in the information form at this link,

http://www.kniferesearch.com/shop/contact_us.php/language/en

asking him about your specific shipping case.
as soon as the site owner has time, he'll answer you. ;)

I tried ordering one of these from Kniferesearch, but it won't let me get past the shipping part. I signed up on their webpage and everything. Does anyone know how I can obtain a Legion knife? I have a Molleta knife and I just love it. These are great knives. I would consider them the Italian equivalent of Busse or Fehrman knives.

yes, they are.

I'll give you the same advice I gave to the other forum member.

follow the link and write your shipping instructions and details asking a quote, you'll get an answer as soon as the site owner can reply.

:thumbup:

yes, they are.

I'll give you the same advice I gave to the other forum member.

follow the link and write your shipping instructions and details asking a quote, you'll get an answer as soon as the site owner can reply.

:thumbup:

Just as an update, I got a reply from the webmaster and I am just waiting on his confirmation of shipping price to Australia. Eager to hear the result.

give him time and everything will be fine
the website is new, the knowledge is not ;)
Maxx

cool! keep us updated! ;)

:D

I'm glad someone is getting a reply. I've tried twice in the last week and no one has bothered to get back to me. The knife I want has a special price of 150 euros, but will go up the end of this month. I will be pi__ed off if I don't get in on the special price.

Back