New Doug Ritter folder

I received mine today and have mixed feelings. Blade is off center and I can't get it to stay centered no matter what I do with the pivot. Overall feel is ok.. feels larger in hand than I recall my BM Ritter grip feeling. Action is ok and blade is sharp. The off center blade really bothers me though.

I received mine today and have mixed feelings.
Blade is off center and I can't get it to stay centered no matter what I do with the pivot. Overall feel is ok.. feels larger in hand than I recall my BM Ritter grip feeling. Action is ok and blade is sharp.
The off center blade really bothers me though.
Call Hogue!

I received mine today and have mixed feelings. Blade is off center and I can't get it to stay centered no matter what I do with the pivot. Overall feel is ok.. feels larger in hand than I recall my BM Ritter grip feeling. Action is ok and blade is sharp. The off center blade really bothers me though.
Did you loosen everything or just the pivot? I loosen the pivot, standoff screws, and blade stop pin(if applicable). Tightening back up I first tighten the pivot. I always over tighten and then tweak the centering with everything else loose. Once centered I tighten everything up.

I just messed with the pivot last night. I will attempt your methods though I feel I should not have to honestly on my brand new $150 knife.

Never helped me. But, my merhod works all the time, as follows.

Loose all screws, wedge sth between the blade abd the scale it leans to, tighten the pivot, then body screws, remove the wedge, micro adjust all screws as needed.

Did you loosen everything or just the pivot? I loosen the pivot, standoff screws, and blade stop pin(if applicable). Tightening back up I first tighten the pivot. I always over tighten and then tweak the centering with everything else loose. Once centered I tighten everything up.

Never helped me. But, my merhod works all the time, as follows.

Loose all screws, wedge sth between the blade abd the scale it leans to, tighten the pivot, then body screws, remove the wedge, micro adjust all screws as needed.

IMO, you shouldn't have to do this on a new out of the box knife. I have several Benchmades and luckily have never had any issues out of the box. Also, all my Spydercos have been perfect.

After seeing all these off centered blades from this new Hogue I think I'll pass for now......

IMO, you shouldn't have to do this on a new out of the box knife. I have several Benchmades and luckily have never had any issues out of the box. Also, all my Spydercos have been perfect.

After seeing all these off centered blades from this new Hogue I think I'll pass for now......
While I agree that one shouldn't have to mess with a new knife, a slightly off centered blade is not all that uncommon; and it doesn't impact the functionality of the tool. I am not all that bothered by it; but I do notice...and if you've never encountered it with Benchmade or Spyderco, consider yourself lucky (or buy more knives, lol)

Received mine, no centering issues. The pivot was a bit loose for my preferences, so I tightened in a bit. Overall, no manufacturing issues.

The differences between the Hogue and BM are slight, but interesting, probably the biggest design change is in the nested liner. Hogue made it much shorter, but anchored it to the first frame screw and into the scale, as opposed to BM, who just anchors their longer nested liner to the scale. The Hogue's handle is a tad bit longer than the BM. The blades appear to be interchangeable.

For serial number reference: mine is 068.

I have had perfectly centered knives become off center after disassembling, cleaning, and reassembling. A lot of knives have some play before tightening that changes the fit of the parts.

Received it with no centering issues whatsoever. Smooth opening and a free drop. Very well made.

E7F77BF9-8FBE-483F-8575-2BCA25451174.jpeg

Comparing the stonewashed finish on the Hogue M390 vs. my Benchmade M390 blade shows a smoother stonewash appearance on the Hogue vs. a somewhat marbleized stonewash appearance on the Benchmade.

5DB2D72B-D316-496A-A6C1-D3C4E9C22840.jpeg

Attachments

• CF5DC11B-ED9D-4D98-A475-EDC31068FCFC.jpeg
    CF5DC11B-ED9D-4D98-A475-EDC31068FCFC.jpeg
    279.5 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Back