• Serrated Cqc-15

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bulldog (possible big bulldog)

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
So all of a sudden this is about Joe fat? What about a guy in a wheelchair? Are we now comparing that as well?

This is the difference between Emerson knives and utility knives. The guys that carry Emersons already have a pre-mindset for self defense.

Lets say "Joe fat" goes to Brazil and he has no training and is not a motivated individual to save his own life. What if someone in Brazils hold a knife to his daughters throat? Don't you think that would be proper motivation? Or would you just stand there?

Im guessing English is not your first language.

Read my post again.

Nobody is talking about a fat slob named Joe.

This is why I love the cqc7 and waved endura so much. They seem to sit right on the line between a defensive folder and a self defense folder.

For 99.999% of the time they are great for just regular edc tasks. However they are ready to go for that 0.001% time you do need it. Depending on what area you live in will determine which Emerson length is more appropriate for you to carry. (Or between waved endura and waved delica)

Obviously longer blades will tend to be better suited to most SD tasks. The shorter blades are better on the edc side of the equation.

:p LOL ! And this differs from guns , cars , women etc . exactly how ? :rolleyes:

Hollywood has pretty much shaped the imagination of people when it comes to weapons. Doesnt matter if its guns, knives, balsiongs, or brass knuckles. What you see in the movies and video games bares little resemblance to reality. But that is where most people get their ideas of what weapons are all about and how they should be used.

Hollywood has pretty much shaped the imagination of people when it comes to weapons. Doesnt matter if its guns, knives, balsiongs, or brass knuckles. What you see in the movies and video games bares little resemblance to reality. But that is where most people get their ideas of what weapons are all about and how they should be used.
Pretty much.

The spyderco military was designed, I believe, to deter an attacker intent on killing oneself. It’s blade is long enough to reach several vital arteries and veins. Heard the expression, “better judged by 12 than carried by 6?”

The spyderco military was designed, I believe, to deter an attacker intent on killing oneself. It’s blade is long enough to reach several vital arteries and veins. Heard the expression, “better judged by 12 than carried by 6?”
If the attacker did that, the problem would kinda sorta be solved;)

If the attacker did that, the problem would kinda sorta be solved.

You mean if an attacker murdered someone with a Spyderco? Not likely, as most lowlifes go for low quality weapons. The attacker would hopefully be judged by 12 to an execution.

Pretty much.

Last year I was at my local gun range and overheard a conversation between a couple of guys shooting in the lane right next to me. They were talking about the best 'tactical' weapon for home defense and vehemently arguing about what was best. One of the gentleman actually said when he plays Call of Duty, out of all the weapon choices, he picks the P90 as it allows him to move and shoot quickly in close quarters and is extremely accurate. These were grown middle-aged family men, mind you. Not teens. Other times you hear people arguing about best variations of a pistol like the Sig Sauer 226. One guy says he sticks with the 'Navy Seal' version with the anchor on it because it is standard issue for SEAL special ops. I am sure arguments about 'tactical' knives would be similar if you overheard conversations related to knives as weapons.

Last year I was at my local gun range and overheard a conversation between a couple of guys shooting in the lane right next to me. They were talking about the best 'tactical' weapon for home defense and vehemently arguing about what was best. One of the gentleman actually said when he plays Call of Duty, out of all the weapon choices, he picks the P90 as it allows him to move and shoot quickly in close quarters and is extremely accurate. These were grown middle-aged family men, mind you. Not teens. Other times you hear people arguing about best variations of a pistol like the Sig Sauer 226. One guy says he sticks with the 'Navy Seal' version with the anchor on it because it is standard issue for SEAL special ops. I am sure arguments about 'tactical' knives would be similar if you overheard conversations related to knives as weapons.
Very sad and I agree.

The stories/examples of how people have movies impressed on them are legion.

From people steadfastly believing, theyll behave a certain way in a knife fight (when in reality, with most ordinary people there would be utter panic, lots of screaming ... and blood - over the Beretta 92 hype, the 'canted' gangster holding of guns to the cupping of cigarettes and squinting even when lighting a smoke inside their house (the latter one is hilarious - I believe, they are not aware of it themselves) etc etc.

For what its worth, the most excellent P226 in navy SEAL guise does in fact have an anchor engraved.

SEAL version (milled steel slide instead of stamped) is called the 'MK25.'

I think the Spyderco Military is a fantastic utility knife. I have had dozens and love the design. But I would not choose that for self defense.

DSCN8558.JPG

DSCN8546.JPG

Stabman et al;

The Spyderco Military...

.... Model came about after someone asked Spyderco's owner Sal Glesser, "If your son were going into the military what folding knife would you send him with?" For certain, it had to meet the requirements of a high-performance, light-weight folder designed for hard use.
- Spyderco

(As you most likely know).

Last edited:
Im guessing English is not your first language.

Read my post again.

Nobody is talking about a fat slob named Joe.

I’ve gained some weight but I wouldn’t say I’m fat yet :)

The rest is not meant for you

Tried to read through this and from what I can garner is that there are a lot of wave fans here

That’s great .....I’m really not

I don’t dislike them but if you have to carry a folder with self defense in mind why not carry a double action auto and if you really have defense on your mind why not a small or medium fixed blade

I edc a fixed blade every day

And when forced to carry a folder it’s a DA

Either a DISKIN FIRE or a MicroTech out the front

My point is this

In all situations out of your home you should be in a code yellow state of mind

So the speed of the waved folder should not be paramount

Meaning if your walking down an alley in the dark in an area that gives concern your knife should already be in your hand

Next have any of you tried to deploy a waved folder in a situation where you’ve been tackled or taken by suprise and already tied up with someone possible on the ground

A DA auto can be deployed with a push of the button ..... no catching the wave or even if someone has control of your wrist you can still deploy a DA

Even a DA pales to a fixed blade

All I know when I travel abroad and with on the last year I was in Central America walking dark streets at night I had a fixed blade on me

Of course in the states I still have the fixed blade but also a gun :)

Tried to read through this and from what I can garner is that there are a lot of wave fans here

I don’t dislike them but if you have to carry a folder with self defense in mind why not carry a double action auto and if you really have defense on your mind why not a small or medium fixed blade

My point is this

Meaning if your walking down an alley in the dark in an area that gives concern your knife should already be in your hand

Next have any of you tried to deploy a waved folder in a situation where you’ve been tackled or taken by suprise and already tied up with someone possible on the ground

A DA auto can be deployed with a push of the button ..... no catching the wave or even if someone has control of your wrist you can still deploy a DA

All I know when I travel abroad and with on the last year I was in Central America walking dark streets at night I had a fixed blade on me

I can't really read all that but the part about the autos.. A wave is faster.. Way way faster.

The time it takes to take out an auto and open it is the same speed as any other knife. You want to have surprise be the factor when drawing a knife. Not show the guy you have a knife. You should have made your mind up to stab someone before you draw the knife. Not try to scare them with it.

The thing about Emersons is not just the wave. His designs also makes his handle grip shapes better. Blade shape. Rough and sticky G10. These are swords designed for pocket carry and quick deployment all packed into a small folder.

Last edited:

My point is this

:D:D:D I talked about, that it would do 'an average Joe a fat lot of good' to pack a knife with no training.

He misunderstood and accused me of talking about a fat guy and then rambled on about guys in wheelchairs - I laughed so hard, I almost got a hernia!!!!! :D:D:D

On a more serious note, with your training, you aint no average Joe and I suspect, youd give some punk a run for his money - if it wasnt a serious matter, Id say, that I pay good money to see some street punk schooled.

But of course the point it to AVOID getting into a scrap.

As you have loads of training, I of course convcur wholeheartedly with your point of a fixed knife being better.

Do you still carry the Tendick (I want a Kraiken badly)?

Your Scandium SW rig is pretty neat BTW.

I can't really read all that but the part about the autos.. A wave is faster.. Way way faster.

The time it takes to take out an auto and open it is the same speed as any other knife. You want to have surprise be the factor when drawing a knife. Not show the guy you have a knife. You should have made your mind up to stab someone before you draw the knife. Not try to scare them with it.

The thing about Emersons is not just the wave. His designs also makes his handle grip shapes better. Blade shape. Rough and sticky G10. These are swords designed for pocket carry and quick deployment all packed into a small folder.
Can't be bothered to read all that, but you'll comment anyway?:confused:
He was saying that speed shouldn't really be a factor. At least not the main factor.

Very sad and I agree.

The stories/examples of how people have movies impressed on them are legion.

From people steadfastly believing, theyll behave a certain way in a knife fight (when in reality, with most ordinary people there would be utter panic, lots of screaming ... and blood - over the Beretta 92 hype, the 'canted' gangster holding of guns to the cupping of cigarettes and squinting even when lighting a smoke inside their house (the latter one is hilarious - I believe, they are not aware of it themselves) etc etc.

For what its worth, the most excellent P226 in navy SEAL guise does in fact have an anchor engraved.

SEAL version (milled steel slide instead of stamped) is called the 'MK25.'

It's a boon for the industry though as manufacturers will crank out products to meet the fantasy. I also collect swords and antiques and especially enjoy Asian and Phillipino styles just for the aesthetics. Prior to movies like Kill Bill, there were a small handful of actual craftsman and manufacturers that put out quality products that closely conformed to a lot of historical swords for a given class. Then suddenly there was a drastic upstart of Katanas and such. Most of the stuff they churned out was and still is just really bloated and overweight chunks of hard steel with dangerous rat tangs, finished off with a makeshift edge and painted-on hamon lines. Same thing is happening now with European arms due to the popularity of Game of Thrones. When people start getting hold of these things the most common thing to happen was self-injury or injury to someone else when they start swinging it around or a rat tang snapped. Now lots of manufactures are putting out the most inane stuff.

hqdefault.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back