• Serrated Cqc-15

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bulldog (possible big bulldog)

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you get more bang for the buck with a Spyderco. I owned one Emerson, meh. I got a good deal on a trade and I wasn't really impressed given that it runs almost $200. Of the two, I'd go with the PM2.

I think you get more bang for the buck with a Spyderco. I owned one Emerson, meh. I got a good deal on a trade and I wasn't really impressed given that it runs almost $200. Of the two, I'd go with the PM2.
:) I agree ! But , I'd extend that same logic to include an even better value from Cold Steel . XHP steel with DLC and the much superior Triad lock . Maybe an American Lawman for no wave or any number of models that have the wave thumb plate .:cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I have to say (and yeah some will of course disagree with this so be open minded) I find it pretty ridiculous that people think that hypothetically in a life/death situation you think having an edged weapon is 99.9% useless unless you're trained. Fantasy situation - You're in a spot where you cannot run away (smart thing to do) and you're being set upon by maybe a couple guys 100% set out to do you and maybe a loved one possibly fatal harm. You're trying to have people believe holding a edged tool out as not only a deterrent but to also be the first thing maybe an advancing arm or fist comes in contact with while you keep your distance and defusing the attackers is useless? I shake my head at this. These useless edged tools seem to do pretty well at causing innocent people harm and sending them to the emergency rooms don't they? but magically become useless if it's the last thing an innocent person has to defend their life with in if things get that up close and dangerous. I know knife fighting is absolutely ridiculous, but people, please...I know the majority of people here live in the USA, and you're allowed to carry firearms, which make knives obsolete in such situations, but for people in say Australia, we don't have the ability or luxury. I wonder how many of you would look at a man advancing towards you in a dark ally with a 4 inch bladed knife and think "not to worry folks, that weapon he's holding is 99.9999% useless unless he's trained".
That is of course not, what those of us advising against the average Joe couning on getting the upper hand in a knife scrap is saying at all

I have to say (and yeah some will of course disagree with this so be open minded) I find it pretty ridiculous that people think that hypothetically in a life/death situation you think having an edged weapon is 99.9% useless unless you're trained. Fantasy situation - You're in a spot where you cannot run away (smart thing to do) and you're being set upon by maybe a couple guys 100% set out to do you and maybe a loved one possibly fatal harm. You're trying to have people believe holding a edged tool out as not only a deterrent but to also be the first thing maybe an advancing arm or fist comes in contact with while you keep your distance and defusing the attackers is useless? I shake my head at this. These useless edged tools seem to do pretty well at causing innocent people harm and sending them to the emergency rooms don't they? but magically become useless if it's the last thing an innocent person has to defend their life with in if things get that up close and dangerous. I know knife fighting is absolutely ridiculous, but people, please...I know the majority of people here live in the USA, and you're allowed to carry firearms, which make knives obsolete in such situations, but for people in say Australia, we don't have the ability or luxury. I wonder how many of you would look at a man advancing towards you in a dark ally with a 4 inch bladed knife and think "not to worry folks, that weapon he's holding is 99.9999% useless unless he's trained".

I don't think the issue is whether or not a knife could be of any value in certain self defense situations. The issue is that most people's perception of the knife as a weapon and how effectively it is used as a weapon is pretty much formed by Hollywood action film directors and CGI editors. Most of the manufactures marketing their knives with a 'self defense' label are pretty much just selling the consumer Hollywood.

I don't think the issue is whether or not a knife could be of any value in certain self defense situations. The issue is that most people's perception of the knife as a weapon and how effectively it is used as a weapon is pretty much formed by Hollywood action film directors and CGI editors. Most of the manufactures marketing their knives with a 'self defense' label are pretty much just selling the consumer Hollywood.
:p LOL ! And this differs from guns , cars , women etc . exactly how ? :rolleyes:

I find that when I pick up one of the ZT Emersons it feels more like a solid tool type knife. When I pick up a real Emerson I can feel that his designs are fighting knives first. Imho I can feel that the Emerson has more fighting knife DNA in it.

So the ZT Emersons are sort of utility/fighting whereas the Emersons are fighting/utility.

My only gripe about the Emersons is you have to make sure to get one where it has good lockup. Of the Emersons I have owned only one has had a bad lockup and that is because the titanium lockface somehow got damaged. My other ones often came with lockstick but broke in over time until they lockup perfect. Oh and another gripe is that they are only set up for right hand carry. That is fine for lefties or people who carry knife on left side and pistol on right. You need to put the clip on the opposite than normal side for reverse waving. Reverse waving is the better wave for self defense imho. (The Emerson karambits come set up for right hand reverse waving if you are wondering what it is)

I still vouch for the waved Endura. It is a great little knife for edc that has fighting ability too. It is also lightweight so you will never have to not carry it.

Waved Endura and Delica
SbRxG7w.jpg

Some Emerson cqc7s
HaclTeK.jpg

Spyderco Pikal (requires special training more so than others)
cmzQwoL.jpg

Everyone’s SD scenario is different. Since i live in an urban setting the above knives have been ideal for me.

Last edited:

Really good point.

I would bet that any one of these naysayers would want (or wish they where) carrying a self defense knife in Brazil (particularly an Emerson knife in Brazil). I travel there frequently and that place IS dangerous. They don't care about life. And most cannot afford guns.. they use fixed blade knives or have several guys come at you.

watch some knife stabbing videos on "live leak". Go to Liveleak and type in Brazil stabbings. Then you will get the head of why you should carry a knife.

To the OP:

A Para 2 and a Emerson are two completely different knives for different purposes:

The para 2 is a great utility blade.

The emerson is for self defense.

Really good point.

I would bet that any one of these naysayers would want (or wish they where) carrying a self defense knife in Brazil (particularly an Emerson knife in Brazil). I travel there frequently and that place IS dangerous. They don't care about life. And most cannot afford guns.. they use fixed blade knives or have several guys come at you.

watch some knife stabbing videos on "live leak". Go to Liveleak and type in Brazil stabbings. Then you will get the head of why you should carry a knife.
Astoundingly, you manage to miss the point entirely.

So average Joe should go to Brazil and just suddenly decide to pack a knife out of the blue.

Yep, thatll do Joe a fat lot of good against a hardened bunch of criminals - some of whom might have killed before, who wont hesitate and for whom a human life means nada.

No training, no nothing - just pack a knife and you are Janich.

Great:rolleyes:

Actually, many decades ago, it wasn't uncommon for certain elements of society to use non-locking pocketknives, such as Barlows, fishing knives (Texas Toothpick), stockman, etc., as weapons. Because at the time, those were mostly what was available and being carried. Obviously, that's not the only reason they carried their knifes. Many of those types of hardened men considered those knives better than the cheap imported switchblades of the time, which many considered kind of a joke, or a one-trick pony in terms of use. Any kind of well-made, quality lock-bladed knife would have been prized.

I do believe there are times when you may not have a choice, if there is no other option, to use a blade in SD. My own feeling has always been that I don't carry a knife expressly for that purpose. And even though I'm going on 42 years of training and experience in martial arts and have had to physically defend my life once against 3 men at the same time, the pocketknife that was in my pocket was never brought out (this was in 1985). And even martial arts for me are a last-last resort; I have since become much smarter and more cautious in general than when I was younger.

Jim

Last edited:
Several good points.

Anybody is free to disagree with me, but IMO, carrying a knife specifically for SD can, in some strange way, actually attract more potential situations into your life. Call it energy of intent or whatever, whether it's at the conscious level or not. Kinda hard to put into words. I feel this can happen in some cases. Anyway, I'm sure most people on here will say that's a bunch of BS, and that's fine, too.

I agree and Ive previously read some material on the subject IIRC.

Conciously or subconciously, many/most will behave in a different/particular manner - give a certain 'impression,' if you will (when 'packing').

Last edited:
Hi, BladeScout.

Thanks for your input. I had actually gone back and deleted that part because I thought it might sound too weird for some.

Jim

Let's get something straight... I say select a knife that will be useful for 99.999% of the tasks upon which it will be called.

Which means EDC tasks like cutting IP's off your shirt, opening a package and cutting up an apple.

I am not saying that a knife is 99.9% useless as a defensive weapon. Not even close to saying that.

But one probably isn't going to use a knife for defense 99.9% of the time. So select a model that is good for EDC tasks, as the average Joe will likely never call bring one to bear in a defensive situation. I've packed a knife for years, and have never pulled one open in defense of my self or others. So I choose a model/design that prioritizes utility first and foremost, and I advise others to do the same.

Astoundingly, you manage to miss the point entirely.

So average Joe should go to Brazil and just suddenly decide to pack a knife out of the blue.

Yep, thatll do Joe a fat lot of good against a hardened bunch of criminals - some of whom might have killed before, who wont hesitate and for whom a human life means nada.

No training, no nothing - just pack a knife and you are Janich.

Great:rolleyes:

So all of a sudden this is about Joe fat? What about a guy in a wheelchair? Are we now comparing that as well?

This is the difference between Emerson knives and utility knives. The guys that carry Emersons already have a pre-mindset for self defense.

Lets say "Joe fat" goes to Brazil and he has no training and is not a motivated individual to save his own life. What if someone in Brazils hold a knife to his daughters throat? Don't you think that would be proper motivation? Or would you just stand there?

But one probably isn't going to use a knife for defense 99.9% of the time. So select a model that is good for EDC tasks, as the average Joe will likely never call bring one to bear in a defensive situation. I've packed a knife for years, and have never pulled one open in defense of my self or others. So I choose a model/design that prioritizes utility first and foremost, and I advise others to do the same.

I also have a fire extinguisher in my car and home. Never had to use them either. But I am sure when I do need it..I WILL NEED IT BAD!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back