New Kershaw slipjoints

The steel alloy is better than either 440A or 420HC, and given a good heat-treat should be quite useable. I'd like to know how much Vanadium is in the mix, and at what hardness they come out. They sound like a good value to me, if they're made right.

The uneven edge grind and the rough brushed finished bolsters turn me off. Im happy to see Kershaw branching out but if rough ryder can do miles better for a third the cost why can't kershaw?
View attachment 1265266
My thought on the above is, and it's not a terribly pleasant one, is that RR is quite likely using prison/forced labor. How else can they offer a decent knife for $10 ??

Hopefully Kershaw is thinking differently

Kershaw USED to make traditional lockbacks and fixed blades,Gerber did as well. I would like to see them reissue some of their old patterns with the quality they had back then. To use the car analogy, I see 99%of modern knives like 99% of modern cars. They all look the same and all are quite boring. Used to be when a Ford Galaxy drove by you KNEW it was a Galaxy and not an Impala. And much like cars the older designs of knives are more interesting. And certainly far more pleasant to the eye,and to the hand. I see what we've come to call "modern traditionals" I see like the nostalgia craze that hit the pony car market a few years ago. With the big 3 producing cars with the looks of mustangs,camaros and challengers of the 60-70's but the modern amenities and performance. If given the choice of a brand new f250 4x4 or an 1985 restored to mint condition, I would choose the the 1985. Though the new one would be a "better" truck,I love the classic truck looks more. There's also a 71 Bullnose in my pocket;)

Using the names of 3 revolutionary work flags on very cheap looking overpriced Chinese slipjoints ?
I'll pass.
I would think that for $40 they could produce these domestically or at least have something a lot better looking for the money.

These things look like something you'd find at a flea market with the brand Rite edge on them.

Has anyone posted these up yet?
Not sure if it's relevant to the thread or not but a Kershaw slip joint and lockback that I picked up mid 80's I think.
They've seen a lot of abuse, from pre-"knife guy" days before I knew how to take care of things.
Still very serviceable though, just need some edge work.
Is there a recognizable pattern to these?

XJN6dt7.jpg

Yeah, no hard evidence, but probably the case. I just don't see the price point if produced in regular fashion. We're blind to this kind of thing.
No, I’d say you are blind to more rational and economically based reasons. Just because you believe it doesn’t make it true.
Show me the money, er, I mean evidence.

It is nice to see that the market is driving various manufacturers into paying more mind to more traditional patterns. That said, I'll reserve judgement until I see some more hands-on feedback.

Also, pictures are worth a thousand words - or so the saying goes...

Culpepper

g2BXSVV.png

Brandywine

hpocEgx.png

Gadsen

eCav7Bd.png

No, I’d say you are blind to more rational and economically based reasons. Just because you believe it doesn’t make it true.
Show me the money, er, I mean evidence.
Not gonna bite.
Wouldn't be "Porch-like."

It is nice to see that the market is driving various manufacturers into paying more mind to more traditional patterns.
I agree 100% Even if they're not exactly up to Case or heck even Rough Rider fit'n'finish standards, its good to see them moving into a market they abandoned years ago. Maybe they'll redo some of their own classics. Hopefully they are seeing that not everyone wants a sharpened prybar with the ergos of a broken brick. Not only that but maybe the the tacticool survival/bushcraft flashlight knives and gadget reviewers on YouTube will start pushing them as non-scary low key greyman carry options. Which maybe would steer more non traditional people into trying traditionals. And THAT aint no bad thing imho.

That’s fine. Not looking to pick a fight just asking you to support your assumption.
That's a little better tone. Thank you.
I figured the assertion might be a little inflammatory. All I can say is, if RRs are being produced on the up-and-up, with a few different areas getting profit along the way, how in the world are the workers getting anything close to a basic (if any) wage-- even in the worst of countries?

Prison labor happens. We are blind to this part of the world economy in our comfy homes with internet shopping.

If you still aren't convinced, please explain how we can buy RR knives here for $10?
Seriously.

I kinda like the profile of that Culpepper. If I were in the market for a beater tool, I'd consider it if the street price was under $20.

I have a Taylor Old-Timer and a couple of Rough Riders, pretty much the same steel (440A) and country of manufacture. And while not my favorites, they do get the job done of cutting things.

Like others who have posted, these aren't my cup of tea so I won't be buying any. But it's cool that Kershaw feels it needs to get slipjoints back into their product line. Gotta be a good sign.

-- Mark

Back