New Peter Rassenti

That likely won't be out til 2019 at the earliest, if ever.

No problem as I won't be letting go of my original Spydiechef anytime soon. The only other Spyderco folder currently on my radar is the BHQ Exclusive Lum Tanto at around $220. BTW, I whittled down my folders to a handful of Spyderco folders so I'm kinda of a lifer for Spydies and willing g to wait ;)

$579.97 at National Knives too.
Odd - that's a 27% discount off of MSRP, which is an unusual number. Normally they're 35% or 40% off. RamZar's logic made sense.

Hopefully either one of them is copying the mistake the other made, or someone else will break ranks and go to 35% off. $600 is getting awfully close to what some plain jane used Rassenti customs go for.

Still way too expensive at $520. I bought a custom I really like last year for not much more than that. Or as I said in another thread on the same topic, I could get a CRK + a knife I liked for the same money.

At $520, I'm out. That's Sebenza territory. It's an intriguing knife, but it's at least $100 high for me, given that it's a Spyderco.

Spyderco knows their customers. They're deliberately pricing most of us off this model, for whatever reason. I'm not personally affected as this was not for me anyway but lots of folks will be.

Yeah that's a high price tag. I'm intrigued but I'm going to need to watch some reviews before I decide.

It does seem silly.

These should cost less less than comparable knives from other manufacturers because it's Spyderco?

There's a conspiracy at Spyderco HQ to deliberately price out their own customers vs. just the reality of rising input costs and a need to maintain their margins, while also trying to appease their dealers? Really??

It's a nice looking piece, but honestly it would be outside of my comfort zone even at $300, so I don't have any skin in the game here, glta.

Interesting thought. Why do you think they’d do that?
I honestly have no idea but they certainly know that a huge majority of their regular customers can't afford that knife. They also know that it's much more expensive than comparable production knives. It's possible, of course, that the knife is just that expensive to produce and they have to price it that high just to cover costs but that is VERY hard to believe.

At $520 I'm gonna wait and watch the reviews. If everyone raves perfection...I might still be persuaded to find a way. There's a lot of competition at that price, though. A LOT.

Actually I said this exact thing on Instagram four hours ago. :rolleyes: ;)

You said exactly the same thing on IG as I did here on BF?!

Please link. Curious to see what you posted and where exactly. Thanks.

Considering the previous iteration had a number of issues and Spyderco just revised their bearing design, I think anyone jumping to purchase this knife is a true believer.

I honestly have no idea but they certainly know that a huge majority of their regular customers can't afford that knife. They also know that it's much more expensive than comparable production knives. It's possible, of course, that the knife is just that expensive to produce and they have to price it that high just to cover costs but that is VERY hard to believe.

Well, after looking at the BHQ website just now, I do have one thought. The new Spydie Smock looks quite affordable sitting next to the Paysan... The nefarious part of my brain wants me to believe it’s a tactic to convince us the remainder of the Spyderco line is still a bargain after the MAP/price hike.

Back