New Peter Rassenti

Thanks for the link! The knife does look VERY sweet. Willpower=gone. Lol

After seeing the price I got my willpower back....;)

Awesome knife, but I don't think I can swing the price. For now I'll have to stick to Lionsteel for integrals and if I have that much money burning a hole in my pocket I'll get a plain Jane CRK of some kind and a ZDP 189 delica. :D

I think this would have been better off as a flash run like the Lil nilakka. Even then it would take a long time to sell out at $520.

I give it a year, two years tops before it's shelved, which is really sad because it seems like a very nice knife

Reactions: AF
Price anchoring is a pretty standard tactic. Spyderco isn't the only company with some shiny new $$$ toys. As far as price points, that might not be entirely up to them, as Peter may have some say so that it doesn't undervalue his other work? Pricing stuff like this is really hard to do, and many people claim to be experts at it. Car companies have had the halo model as part of the marketing model for a very long time. Who knows, maybe there some high dollar CEOs that are spydie fans?

I think this would have been better off as a flash run like the Lil nilakka. Even then it would take a long time to sell out at $520.

I give it a year, two years tops before it's shelved, which is really sad because it seems like a very nice knife

I agree, and I imagine that these will be made in somewhat limited numbers anyway. So marketing it as a Flash Batch might have boosted sales.

I 'll definately buy one,because i guess it won't be for sale as long (short?) as the Nirvana did,and a "real" one is out of my reach.

Somebody mentioned in an earlier post that this might not drop until 2019, but I think it would be earlier since BHQ is already taking pre-orders on them.

Has anybody heard a firm date for the drop yet?

Somebody mentioned in an earlier post that this might not drop until 2019, but I think it would be earlier since BHQ is already taking pre-orders on them.

Has anybody heard a firm date for the drop yet?
Yeah I think it would be pretty dumb to be showing it of and hyping people up, only to have it release years later.

It would be an extremely poor choice of marketing strategy for sure.

This makes the Sebenza look like a bargain! Ha ha. In the big scheme of life, I’m not angry or offended by the price but I won’t be sliding one of these in my pocket. I was expecting this to be in the $425-475 range.

Let's be honest, the steel on CRKs is trash. If anyone actually uses the knife, they know it's trash. It dulls literally JUST like the tenacious that I have. I've been using CRK knives for nearly a decade now, owned more than most people. I'm no CRK hater, but the steel they are using at the hardness they use just plain does not hold an edge long at all.

The big value in this folder for me is the quality construction paired with a steel that will actually last quite a while. I'll buy one and try it out, even at the price point.

Let's be honest, the steel on CRKs is trash. If anyone actually uses the knife, they know it's trash. It dulls literally JUST like the tenacious that I have. I've been using CRK knives for nearly a decade now, owned more than most people. I'm no CRK hater, but the steel they are using at the hardness they use just plain does not hold an edge long at all.

The big value in this folder for me is the quality construction paired with a steel that will actually last quite a while. I'll buy one and try it out, even at the price point.

Hmmm! To suggest that the steel trash is too harsh. After all S35VN (not my fave by a long shot) is a very respectable steel for folding knives. Admittedly you did not call the steel trash per se, but stated the steel on the CRKs to be trash. Again IMHO, the statement is way too harsh even though I had owned a handful of different CRK models in the past and let go of every single one because I had also felt that the edge required more maintenance than I was either prepared to perform or was just not adept enough to hone to precision. Great looking and feeling construction though :thumbsup:

What if your were in a jungle and only had a rock to hone your CRK? Would it make sense to have S35VN at 59HRC then. Reeves has stated part of his design philosophy is to produce a maintainable knife for customers from all around the world.

On the other side, I agree with the previous posts. I’m not impressed enough with the edge retention to keep one. I’ve bought an sold 2. I will say, you can put a pretty fine edge, easily, on the CRK steel.

If you look at Ankerson or more recently Cedric and Ada’s edge retention tests on Crk S35vn, it ranks right there with other companies using this particular steel. Disclosure, while I enjoy my Crk blades, I prefer to spend my folder cash on Hinderer and Spyderco.

Last edited:
Yeah I think it would be pretty dumb to be showing it of and hyping people up, only to have it release years later.

It would be an extremely poor choice of marketing strategy for sure.

Yep, they'd never do that *coughHananCaribbeancough* ;)

In fairness, they are working on a lot of models at any given time, plus whatever secret stuff we don't know about, so I can definitely see that if they run into issues with anything, it can take a while to resolve them. I'm hoping that with the Paysan mostly being a known quantity (known steel, known production methods for integral frames, etc.), there aren't too many issues that could delay things. Maybe the milling and installation of the internal lock bar insert, but hopefully they'll have figured that out.

What if your were in a jungle and only had a rock to hone your CRK? Would it make sense to have S35VN at 59HRC then. Reeves has stated part of his design philosophy is to produce a maintainable knife for customers from all around the world.

On the other side, I agree with the previous posts. I’m not impressed enough with the edge retention to keep one. I’ve bought an sold 2. I will say, you can put a pretty fine edge, easily, on the CRK steel.

Are you seriously implying that in the jungle you'd be able to tell the difference in sharpening S35VN at 59rc rather than say 60 or 61?

Lol. You absolutely are not going to be able to feel the difference in 1-2 points of hardness on sharpening stone. I have some s90v blanks that are 63rc and some that are 59, two different batches. You can't tell a difference between them on a stone, and that's 4 points. The wear resistance of the steel makes WAY more of a difference in sharpening than the hardness.

Your whole premise makes no sense in reality. And you can put a fine edge on it, just like any other knife. My maxamet manix whittles free hanging hair with ease when I'm done with it. Being able to "put a fine edge" on is not a selling point, it's just what a knife is supposed to do.

My dislike of CRKs blades in use come from years of actual use. A lot of people will say it's ok because of what the steel is supposed to be - or should be. In truth they most likely don't use the knife for anything more difficult than cutting strings, opening letters and cutting apples. Then they conclude that it performs great! Of course it does if that's all you're doing.

It performs about as well as the 8cr on my tenacious. The 154cm on the first manix I bought many years ago greatly outperforms it. It's not a knife I like to use, because it just isn't great in use. It becomes butter knife blunt really quickly. Maybe one day CRK will either change their HT process or switch steels, but I doubt it.

Edit: I'm sure there are people out there that actually use their CRKs and enjoy the way the steel performs. I'm just not one of them.

Last edited:
Are you seriously implying that in the jungle you'd be able to tell the difference in sharpening S35VN at 59rc rather than say 60 or 61?

Lol. You absolutely are not going to be able to feel the difference in 1-2 points of hardness on sharpening stone. I have some s90v blanks that are 63rc and some that are 59, two different batches. You can't tell a difference between them on a stone, and that's 4 points. The wear resistance of the steel makes WAY more of a difference in sharpening than the hardness.

Your whole premise makes no sense in reality. And you can put a fine edge on it, just like any other knife. My maxamet manix whittles free hanging hair with ease when I'm done with it. Being able to "put a fine edge" on is not a selling point, it's just what a knife is supposed to do.

My dislike of CRKs blades in use come from years of actual use. A lot of people will say it's ok because of what the steel is supposed to be - or should be. In truth they most likely don't use the knife for anything more difficult than cutting strings, opening letters and cutting apples. Then they conclude that it performs great! Of course it does if that's all you're doing.

It performs about as well as the 8cr on my tenacious. The 154cm on the first manix I bought many years ago greatly outperforms it. It's not a knife I like to use, because it just isn't great in use. It becomes butter knife blunt really quickly. Maybe one day CRK will either change their HT process or switch steels, but I doubt it.

Edit: I'm sure there are people out there that actually use their CRKs and enjoy the way the steel performs. I'm just not one of them.

I’m not implying anything really, only regurgitating what has been stated by reeves himself. He’s also stated that he prefers the hardness the “regular” individual could sharpen it easier.

Again, not implying anything. These aren’t my viewpoints.

Paysan is an integral titanium frame lock folder with S90V blade and street price of $519.97.

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_paysan.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_paysan_clip.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_paysan_blade.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_paysan_angle_4.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_paysan_inhand.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_paysan_angle_2.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_paysan_angle_1.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_paysan_lock.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_paysan_halfopen.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_paysan_profile.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_paysan_closed.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_paysan_angle_3.jpg

spyderco_amsterdammeet2018_paysan_clipside.jpg

Yes, quite sexy but there are some "buts" for me despite the fat that I'm already on the record on this very thread singing its praises kinda sight unseen!

- Firstly, the price although I had fully expected it to come in around 5 bill$.

- The steel insert on the R.I.L lock side to avoid the dreaded lock stick issues which the Nirvana was experiencing with some / most units out there. This IMHO is a negative on its aesthetics as compared to a uniform lockbar on a $500+ folder.

- The sheepfoot blade shape is not one of my faves to spend over $500.

I think I will go back to plan B, i.e, finding a great condition / LNIB Nirvana at a good price and then spend the extra dough to have Josh / REK to do some magic on it. Based on what I see, I like the ergo on a stripped down Nirvana blade better :thumbsup:

I, like most, was on the fence (or on the other side of it) after hearing the price.

However, after seeing SpyderCollector's pics that RamZar RamZar posted, I'm firmly in the "Oh Hellz Yeah!" camp.

I'll be honest here, but I thought the Nirvana was an absolutely FUGLY looking knife. I hated the weird cuts on the handle, and the blade - both looks and finish - just left me in the "I don't get it" camp.

The Paysan though...

Yep. Me wants one of them!

Last edited:
Back