new ZT 0630, what were they thinking?

Got a new ZT 0630 today. Everything about the knife is great except one thing, it has a detent that's set up perfectly for a flipper. This knife isn't a flipper. But the majority of their knives are, which I don't think is a coincidence. I guess this was the cost effective way to go but man do I feel like I paid too much for a knife can't be opened with one hand.

And by the way, why couldn't they put this detent in my 0560 where it would do some good?

Got a new ZT 0630 today. Everything about the knife is great except one thing, it has a detent that's set up perfectly for a flipper. This knife isn't a flipper. But the majority of their knives are, which I don't think is a coincidence. I guess this was the cost effective way to go but man do I feel like I paid too much for a knife can't be opened with one hand.

Are you kidding?
You must be joking.
It has the wave (opens with one hand as it leaves the pocket) AND a thumb-disk (to open it with one hand).
That's two (count 'em, two) ways to open it with one hand.

You are correct, all knives that are not flippers are so because of cost-cutting measures.

Yeah, there's the wave and that's it then. If this is the way it's supposed to work then they should take the thumb disk off the knife because there's no way to exert enough force on it to get it to open. It takes quite a bit of force to open it even with two hands.

Yeah, there's the wave and that's it then. If this is the way it's supposed to work then they should take the thumb disk off the knife because there's no way to exert enough force on it to get it to open. It takes quite a bit of force to open it even with two hands.

Sounds like there's something wrong with the knife, or something wrong with your technique, or you are not strong enough to open it. It's very possible it's the first one. ZT has notoriously strong detents, but not being able to open this model with the thumb disc means something is wrong.

The thumb disk is pretty close to the pivot so you don't have a lot of leverage. The pivot action is plenty smooth just like it should be, the blade is centered, etc. It sure acts like there's nothing wrong with the knife other than it has a detent that's set up perfectly for a flipper, on a knife that's not a flipper.

It'll be fine once I take it apart and work the detent hole over with a stone. It's just a shame that I have to do that to a $200 knife right out of the box.

Mine know opens easy and very smooth after acouple of weeks of breaking in , it's worth the wait.

It is very sensitive to any pressure on the lock bar.
I just messed around with mine and it opens easily with the disc either pushing or flicking...until I put my finger on the lock bar.

It's new. It's stiff. It will loosen up, it will break in. Should've got a real emerson.

It is your technique that's the problem, I've had both the 0630 and 0620 cf for almost a year. I can flick it open without wrist in any position, my friends see me do it and try but can not for the life of them.

It's not the knife.
I bought one last week, and another one the week before that. ;)

i have the same problem with the 0620, i cant open mine with the thumbstud but it waves open very well. i heard a couple people mention this, but most people seem to be able to open their knives with the thumbplate no problem, so im pretty sure we got lemons

Probably not lemons, technique is the problem.
i have the same problem with the 0620, i cant open mine with the thumbstud but it waves open very well. i heard a couple people mention this, but most people seem to be able to open their knives with the thumbplate no problem, so im pretty sure we got lemons

It is your technique that's the problem, I've had both the 0630 and 0620 cf for almost a year. I can flick it open without wrist in any position, my friends see me do it and try but can not for the life of them.

It's not the knife.

I can grab the thumb disk with two fingers and flick the knife open by slinging the frame but even that takes a lot of force to overcome the detent.

The do have strong detents , once you get the right angle to apply pressure on the disk it loads up and flies much like a flipper.
I can grab the thumb disk with two fingers and flick the knife open by slinging the frame but even that takes a lot of force to overcome the detent.

Once you figure it out it will be a small epiphany lol

Mine will probably hold the same, its not impossible believe me. I too found it difficult at first.

So which direction should I be pushing? The only thing I haven't tried is pushing towards the butt of the knife.

I have a heck of a time trying to open some frame locks by zt. Not all just some. Most though I can't put any pressure on the lock or it wont open easily.

Back