new ZT 0630, what were they thinking?

Hi,
I Had the same problem when I got my 0630. Could barely get it open with 2 hands. After 3 days of trying to force it open my thumb had a blood blister and I was seriously regretting my purchase. BUT STAY STRONG - it will break in. Probably took 2 weeks and now it is just butter. Certainly any index finger contact with the lock bar acts against you. I have found a slight wrist flick with minimal thumb pressure on the disc gets the blade out with a snap! I have also started flipping it open using thumb on one side and index finger on the other side of the disc and man that blade pops out. Now that its broken in I can't put it down. I have not carried my Sebenza, Spyderco Military, Paramilitary or Manix since the 0630 found its sweet spot. Just give it time.

I like how people assume the user is at fault here, as if they too have handled that very specific knife that he owns (not just another of the same model)

If I told you guys my knife was off-center, you wouldn't question it. Why is the detent being too strong so hard to accept?

OP, you can send it to ZT and they'll fix it for you. Alternatively, depending on the condition, you may be able I just send it back to the seller for a different one.

Thank you, I don't like how this thread spun towards impugning the OP. ZT has let more than a couple screwed up knives over the years escape into customers hands.
They will fix or replace them though, I would send that sucker back.
Russ

This knife requires a different thumb motion than your typical thumb stud/thumb disc knife, I know exactly what your talking about and it operator error in your case, I am a big fan of this knife and IMO, it's superior in function and fit & finish than other knives of its type and I have owned several.

If you like the knife then practice and master the technique (motion directly away from the frame) if not sell it and move on.

It's a push on (towards/against blade) thumb-disc first, than up and open.)
No first push before up push = hurt thumb and non open.
Love inflicting this on friends ;)

The biggest downside to frame locks is that they are prone to unintentional pressure that keeps the blade from opening.

That knife has 3 potential ways to open, all of which are dependent on technique.

Wave.
Thumb disc.
Inertial.

All of these need the lock bar to be free of pressure.

If correcting this doesn't correct the problem, then yes, lemon.

I own two of the early 620s in CF. I also found them a bit tricky to open; I believe I posted a thread here about it.

Mine loosened up, and I figured out the subtle differences in geometry and angles necessary to get them to respond. They are now identically consistent-- and I absolutely love them!

this is not to say the OP doesn't have a lemon-- just to say that this design is tilted toward lots of detent. Now that I am used to it, I actually prefer it.

I got the original M390 steel; everything about the knife suits my needs perfectly. My Emerson Commander with the Wave feature is not really in the same league as these ZTs. . . . . . . . the ZTs are superior in feel, fit, balance, etc. And the blade is superior to the Emerson.

i just received a brand new 0630, and again its absolutely impossible to open with the thumbstud. the action is even worse than my 0620.

Back