New ZT?

Btw here’s the knife it is based on. The Viper knives were a very old Emerson design predating the cqc series. This ZT is based on the Viper Knives (Emerson) MV3. These designs predate the wave
Untitled-1.jpg

Innovative on an affordable folder. I think people are pissed off about them not having the tools for it.

Wish they would have done see through pivot that doesn’t need proprietary keys.....

SanRenMu pulled it off.

9008_1-700x700.jpg
This is a zt Kershaw rip off. They copied the design from them. Along with other srm knives even the Ken onion zt knives. Very bad company.

Depends on what you mean by innovative, I guess. I kind of agree with him. I'm not even saying that's such a bad thing if they give their target audience what they want, but it seems to me like the only things ZT innovates with are inconsequential (see through pivot and hiding flipper tab, as examples).

Well, if we're going to dismiss things as inconsequential, what has Spyderco done in a long time that's really "innovative"? And of course, that's going to lead to me asking why whatever you'd choose to list would be considered more innovative than anything ZT has done. That said, I understand that it's not on you to defend what was a rather silly statement by someone else.

I personally am not interested in trying to contest Spyderco versus ZT in the innovation question, because I think both KAI and Spyderco have done great things. I merely took issue with the inference that ZT hasn't, and does not innovate, when really, that is false.

I am surprised they disclosed these 2 knives before shot show
They shall have some other stuff ready for the show

Nevertheless it was a while ZT didn’t offer a simple practical design and something different from titanium frame lock flipper....

I really would like some feedback On the action on this one

The washer+thumbdisk combination was great on my 0630....

Ok, so the moldy green CF is pretty ugly, worse than I thought it would be. It's light enough that I'd probably buy one anyway, and have someone make custom scales for it--if, and only if, it can actually be opened with the thumb disk. I have to wave my 0630 open or open it with two hands, it's impossible to open with the thumb disk.
My 0630 opens like lightning with the thumb disc and is a free dropper
either you are pressing on the lockbar or your pivot is too tight.. if its not user error mail it to zt it has a lifetime warranty and their service is amazing

here is video of the 0630 flipping open

One recent Spyderco innovation...the ability to push more production offshore and increasing MSRP/MAP instead of lowering it....all the while somehow not loosing their core fan base.

On the flipside ZT maintains 100% US production with extremely competitive pricing proving its possible to get a quality product made in the US at a great price. They may not be able to put out 10-20 new designs each year....but they also aren't discontinuing half their catalog each year either. The 2018 lineup was pretty solid in my opinion...flippers, manuals, different types of CF, 20CV in the core line, and several popular sprints.

haters gonna hate....meanwhile I'll be getting one of these too:)

I am surprised they disclosed these 2 knives before shot show
They shall have some other stuff ready for the show

Nevertheless it was a while ZT didn’t offer a simple practical design and something different from titanium frame lock flipper....

I really would like some feedback On the action on this one

The washer+thumbdisk combination was great on my 0630....
video of the flipping action

Not loving the pocket clip but that's only a $30 dollar fix. Now I just have to get over the scales so it can grow on meo_O

Well, if we're going to dismiss things as inconsequential, what has Spyderco done in a long time that's really "innovative"? And of course, that's going to lead to me asking why whatever you'd choose to list would be considered more innovative than anything ZT has done. That said, I understand that it's not on you to defend what was a rather silly statement by someone else.

I personally am not interested in trying to contest Spyderco versus ZT in the innovation question, because I think both KAI and Spyderco have done great things. I merely took issue with the inference that ZT hasn't, and does not innovate, when really, that is false.

I mean I listed a bunch of stuff they innovated with above in general terms, but principally I'd note the invention of some new and good locking systems like the compression lock/power lock/bolt lock, being possibly the first to use radical steels like H1/LC200N/Maxamet/CPM440V in production knives, and maybe even the development of an entire line of "saltwater-proof" knives. And if we're going back in time, then maybe the invention of the pocket clip and the adoption of the hole opener. That seems substantial compared to ZT, who borrowed a see-through pivot hole and a hiding flipper tab from custom makers, but you probably will disagree.

This comes from someone who generally prefers ZTs to Spyderco knives, but lately has been turned off by the lack of interesting knives and my issues with their frame/liner locks. I don't buy ZT because they innovate, but because they deliver decent value. For innovation I think it's prudent to look elsewhere.

Last edited:
I mean I listed a bunch of stuff they innovated with above in general terms, but principally I'd note the invention of some new and good locking systems like the compression lock/power lock/bolt lock, being possibly the first to use radical steels like H1/LC200N/Maxamet/CPM440V in production knives, and maybe even the development of an entire line of "saltwater-proof" knives. And if we're going back in time, then maybe the invention of the pocket clip and the adoption of the hole opener. That seems substantial compared to ZT, who borrowed a see-through pivot hole and a hiding flipper tab from custom makers, but you probably will disagree.

This comes from someone who generally prefers ZTs to Spyderco knives. I don't buy ZT because they innovate, but because they deliver decent value. For innovation I think it's prudent to look elsewhere.

Well obviously if we compare Spyderco to ZT then ZT may seem to be less innovative. Then again if we compare Spyderco to GG Hawk knives then Spyderco seems less innovative. There’s always gunna be a company that is more innovative. That doesn’t diminish ZTs innovations at all.

Besides innovation is nice but we have fast one hand opening and closing locking knives with great steel and pocket clips. As long as a folding knife has these features most innovations are just cherry on top.

This comes from someone who generally prefers ZTs to Spyderco knives. I don't buy ZT because they innovate, but because they deliver decent value. For innovation I think it's prudent to look elsewhere.

I would only disagree in that ZT is offering these things as part of their (highly successful) mission to bring high end custom design to the masses without any lapse in quality, and in many cases even higher quality than the maker's own products. That in itself is pretty innovative. I am aware that Spyderco has done a lot of things that are considered innovative, however, I believe ZT has done a lot of things which were unheard of before they started doing it. Sure, Spyderco brings a lot of makers' designs to the market, however, it's always a Spyderco knife with some DNA from the maker thrown in. If you want an Emerson, a Hinderer, a Martin, a Les George, an etc. and don't want to pay custom prices, but DO expect top shelf materials, fit and finish?

You buy a ZT. If Spyderco was making that 0640, it'd be the same price as the ZT...but it'd be S30V, G10, and a Spyderhole. No thanks.

marrenmiller,
^why improve or change perfection? Every knife they make can’t be perfect for everybody, but they do have a lot of options. They’ve made knives with maxamet, M390, 204p, S35, Elmax, and now 20cv seems to be pretty much the go-to steel for them, and that’s a favorite too (for most people). They have all different types of knives from the $160 450 gentleman’s folder, to the rugged 920, the crazy scimitar-looking 462, Sheepsfoot 456, now this new Emerson design....plenty of innovation/options if you ask me. But they still can’t please every person in the world, even though I think they’re doing a damn good job.

I would only disagree in that ZT is offering these things as part of their (highly successful) mission to bring high end custom design to the masses without any lapse in quality, and in many cases even higher quality than the maker's own products. That in itself is pretty innovative. I am aware that Spyderco has done a lot of things that are considered innovative, however, I believe ZT has done a lot of things which were unheard of before they started doing it. Sure, Spyderco brings a lot of makers' designs to the market, however, it's always a Spyderco knife with some DNA from the maker thrown in. If you want an Emerson, a Hinderer, a Martin, a Les George, an etc. and don't want to pay custom prices, but DO expect top shelf materials, fit and finish?

You buy a ZT. If Spyderco was making that 0640, it'd be the same price as the ZT...but it'd be S30V, G10, and a Spyderhole. No thanks.

I’m kind of shocked what some companies are still charging for g10, steel liners and s30v.

Last edited:
Pp

I’m kind of shocked what some companies are still charging for g10, steel liners and s30v.

I agree. I say that, fully aware of my hypocrisy in being an Emerson fan. I see no issue paying that much for 154cm because the ergos on so many of his models are absolute perfection. I don't buy many Spydercos, because most of the designs don't interest me these days. That's not a knock on them or any statement about their quality. It's just that I prefer larger, more substantial knives. The CQC-13, Super Commander, the Vindicator, the Super CQC-7....so many designs that just....well, they're just for me. Still love my Military, but it's with a friend right now, because I just never carried it.

If Spyderco was making that 0640, it'd be the same price as the ZT...but it'd be S30V, G10, and a Spyderhole. No thanks.
I mean, that seems a bit hyperbolic. Their golden knives are priced competitively with ZT, especially considering sprints and the S110V series stuff. If ZT sold a PM2 or Shaman equivalent, I don't know that it would be any better priced.

I'd agree on Taiwan/Japan stuff though. I don't get the pricing on some of those models. Then again, not many of those knives interest me anyway.

I agree. I say that, fully aware of my hypocrisy in being an Emerson fan. I see no issue paying that much for 154cm because the ergos on so many of his models are absolute perfection. I don't buy many Spydercos, because most of the designs don't interest me these days. That's not a knock on them or any statement about their quality. It's just that I prefer larger, more substantial knives. The CQC-13, Super Commander, the Vindicator, the Super CQC-7....so many designs that just....well, they're just for me. Still love my Military, but it's with a friend right now, because I just never carried it.

With Emerson knives I have already admitted I am drinking the koolaid. I basically gave that dude a license to rip me off when it comes to materials.

Although compared to Benchmade, Spyderco or ZT, Emerson knives is a tiny shop so I can see why prices would be abit higher because of that. Emerson knives are definitely not the brand one gets into in order to get the best value for their knife dollar.

I may be talking smack now but I will definitely atleast handle the ZT 0640 at my local store and may even end up getting it.

Well obviously if we compare Spyderco to ZT then ZT may seem to be less innovative. Then again if we compare Spyderco to GG Hawk knives then Spyderco seems less innovative. There’s always gunna be a company that is more innovative. That doesn’t diminish ZTs innovations at all.

Besides innovation is nice but we have fast one hand opening and closing locking knives with great steel and pocket clips. As long as a folding knife has these features most innovations are just cherry on top.
Right, and just to be clear that's why I own more ZTs than Spydercos. I don't necessarily need innovation, just for knives to be done well (which they usually are, despite the lock issues I've had with some of them).

That being said, I'm not pretending like I'd turn to ZT if I want something new and innovative. There's plenty of companies out there, like Spyderco/G&G Hawk/Hogue/etc, that are doing really neat and new stuff in the production knife game.

I don't see ZT making much of anything that isn't available from a bunch of other american companies (again, aside from the two features mentioned above). They make ti framelocks and steel liner locks with G10/CF, and a handful of steels (3 of which are chemical analogs to one another and are used interchangeably). If I want that, or want a midtech version of a Les George Harpy, like the 0920 I love so much, then I go to ZT.

Back