New ZT?

Is your index and middle fingers pressing against the lock bar? I can open mine fine with my thumb but need to take care to relieve pressure on the lock.

Yeah that’s really odd. I can open every Emerson ZT I have come across with the thumb disk with zero issue. It should be able to be opened like that.

This new ZT 640 doesn’t have a wave. However it has a section that makes it look like it might be able to be front flipped.

My 0630 opens like lightning with the thumb disc and is a free dropper
either you are pressing on the lockbar or your pivot is too tight.. if its not user error mail it to zt it has a lifetime warranty and their service is amazing

here is video of the 0630 flipping open

My 0630 has a really strong detent, like, crazy-strong. I'm not motivated about bending out the lock bar tension to lighten it, though, as it is also the knife I have that most easily fails a light spine whack. It folds up easily with the feisty lockbar tension, I can't imagine how easily it would fold up if it was pressing in any lighter.

Also, the pivot is not over tight (it falls closed pretty easily) and I'm not applying extra pressure to the lockbar.

All in all, I don't really mind. I really only carry it in jeans (it's too damn heavy for any other use) and waving it open with a clack is entertaining when I do carry it.

I love the blade and material. Black G10 inlays and it's a winner. I'll wait for that version.

I like Spydercos too and have abt six of them, and 15 more on my wish list that I work from to buy new knives.

To me, the Zoomer has an excellent looking blade. Spyderco hit it out of the park again as far as blade steel goes for the design of the blade. But at those prices I need to see just a little but more. I think they fear making a knife that competes with Bark River. I know that may be funny, but why no brass/nickel hilts and fully exposed tangs. A real honest to God bushcraft or fighting knife. SMH!

If you bring up any of this on the Spyderco Forums, the other posters just put you on mute. Terrible.

Spyderco makes alot of very good fighting knives actually. The Warrior or the Ronin. They make folders that are fighting knives first and foremost like the Pikal, civilian, yojimbo and karahawk. Most their fighting knives are more in the self defense catagory truthfully.

Granted they don’t tend to make 12 inch fighting bowies but if one were to sharpen the swedge on the respect it looks like it could be a mean fighting knife.

That video a dancing leprechaun just posted actually made the knife look alot more appealing. I may end up getting one afterall. However I will likely wait for price to drop.

My 0630 has a really strong detent, like, crazy-strong. I'm not motivated about bending out the lock bar tension to lighten it, though, as it is also the knife I have that most easily fails a light spine whack. It folds up easily with the feisty lockbar tension, I can't imagine how easily it would fold up if it was pressing in any lighter.

Also, the pivot is not over tight (it falls closed pretty easily) and I'm not applying extra pressure to the lockbar.

All in all, I don't really mind. I really only carry it in jeans (it's too damn heavy for any other use) and waving it open with a clack is entertaining when I do carry it.

Idk if you have one of those very thin diamon rod sharpeners.

Like one of these:
16581-DEFAULT-l.jpg

But maybe you could round the shoulder of the hole in the blade the detent ball sits in and butts up against when you open the knife? Breaking that corner abit might help. My ZT 620cf also was failing light spine taps but bending the lockbar further in fixed it, which I guess isn’t an option for you.

One very weird thing I noticed about both my 620s and any ZT 620/630s I played with at my local store; if I push the lockbar in while the blade is closed then the lockbar will click as the detent ball is abit smaller than the hole in the blade. You can feel the detent clicking in and out of the hole by pushing against the lockbar.

Spyderco makes alot of very good fighting knives actually. The Warrior or the Ronin. They make folders that are fighting knives first and foremost like the Pikal, civilian, yojimbo and karahawk. Most their fighting knives are more in the self defense catagory truthfully.

Granted they don’t tend to make 12 inch fighting bowies but if one were to sharpen the swedge on the respect it looks like it could be a mean fighting knife.

That video a dancing leprechaun just posted actually made the knife look alot more appealing. I may end up getting one afterall. However I will likely wait for price to drop.

- Respect: Not fond of the huge square choil, or hidden tangs.
- Ronin: Average to poor steel for a Spyderco. Holding out for a better steel. If in an M390 or variant, I'll buy 2.
- Civilian: I like it and just added it to my wish list! Thanks.
- Yojimbo: I have 3 Yojimbo knives, 2 in 20CV and one S30V. I like them quite a bit.
- Karahawk: Meh, I have better Karambits from 5.11(poor steel but decent design) and Emerson(excellent design and average 154CM steel).
- P'kal: Not fond of it's Wave feature.

Spydercos that I liked and bought
- Military S110V
- Bob Lum Darn Dao
- Yojimbo 2, one in S30V and two in 20CV
- Stuart Ackerman Sustain
- Native 5 Lightweight Maxamet
- Jumpmaster 2

Last edited:
I know it would be counter productive considering there's a thumb disk but almost looks like it could be front flipped. Regardless I am surprised to say I actually like the looks of this knife.
I'm with you Tommy. After watching that Vid it's starting to grow on me yellow CF and all. I hope they come out with a red CF version

At least spyderco comes up with innovative designs. The latest Kapara is a great example of a newly designed knife. Good God, when will ZT come up with something innovative?
The Kapara isn't a new knife design. It's a production version of a custom knife, just like the ZT 0640 is a production version of a custom knife design.

Spyderco fixed blades are usually rip offs. Good quality, but not worth the price. ZT has lost its ability to do anything new. They're actually going back in time. However, for the knife sitting on PB washers, it looks like it's on bearings. I've thought that ZT needs to knock off the stupidity and simply make good knives like they did when they started, maybe this is them going back to what sets them apart.

Spyderco fixed blades are usually rip offs. Good quality, but not worth the price. ZT has lost its ability to do anything new. They're actually going back in time. However, for the knife sitting on PB washers, it looks like it's on bearings. I've thought that ZT needs to knock off the stupidity and simply make good knives like they did when they started, maybe this is them going back to what sets them apart.
Spyderco fixed blades like the bowies and zoomer are low production numbers causing the price to be higher. They are unique and have high end manufacturering that is time consuming. For instance the zero grind and the completely rounded g10 handle. If they made a million of them, they would be able to drop the prices. This goes with any brand and model. The more you make the cheaper you can offer them within reason.
So this is particularly why some spyderco knives cost more. Alot more. They do it for there fans. They do it for users that need a specific tool. Sal also wants to see what they can produce in his factory at high standards. Sometimes he wants a knife for himself. There are reasons people don't know or understand.

In any case they are very worth the price. But not worth it to everyone.

Spyderco fixed blades like the bowies and zoomer are low production numbers causing the price to be higher. They are unique and have high end manufacturering that is time consuming. For instance the zero grind and the completely rounded g10 handle. If they made a million of them, they would be able to drop the prices. This goes with any brand and model. The more you make the cheaper you can offer them within reason.
So this is particularly why some spyderco knives cost more. Alot more. They do it for there fans. They do it for users that need a specific tool. Sal also wants to see what they can produce in his factory at high standards. Sometimes he wants a knife for himself. There are reasons people don't know or understand.

In any case they are very worth the price. But not worth it to everyone.

I understand the reasons, but they still aren't worth the price. What can you get from a maker here on the forums for $400? I'd say makers here manufacture far fewer knives than any Spyderco model. Ask a good maker here for a convexed blade in 20CV with round G10 handles, see if they quote less than $400.

- Respect: Not fond of the huge square choil, or hidden tangs.
- Ronin: Average to poor steel for a Spyderco. Holding out for a better steel. If in an M390 or variant, I'll buy 2.
- Civilian: I like it and just added it to my wish list! Thanks.
- Yojimbo: I have 3 Yojimbo knives, 2 in 20CV and one S30V. I like them quite a bit.
- Karahawk: Meh, I have better Karambits from 5.11(poor steel but decent design) and Emerson(excellent design and average 154CM steel).
- P'kal: Not fond of it's Wave feature.

Spydercos that I liked and bought
- Military S110V
- Bob Lum Darn Dao
- Yojimbo 2, one in S30V and two in 20CV
- Stuart Ackerman Sustain
- Native 5 Lightweight Maxamet
- Jumpmaster 2

What don’t you like about the pikal wave? I find it is actually the best wave I have ever used bar none. Firstly it is the most reliable wave seeming to be the most difficult to accidentally mess up a wave draw. Secondly despite its appearance it is actually the easiest going wave on my pocket unlike other waves which seem to shred it. Also it is actually removable, it can be unscrewed right off the knife.

Back