New ZT?

They tried doing the older style “hard working” knives when they did the 0909 Les George collab.

And nobody bought it.
Just because a knife is heavy, doesn't make it a hard working knife. It is a linerlock that I wouldn't trust at all. For numerous reasons the strength of that knife doesn't even compare to the ZT 0300 series and the ZT 0560 series for example. I think the sales prove that, look how fast re-run of the ZT 0300 sold out, compare that to the ZT 0909 sales. ZT users want hard use practical knives but they haven't made them in awhile.

Last edited:
The 640 looks as though it has a front-flipper tab but I've been told it isn't, can this be so?

The 640 looks as though it has a front-flipper tab but I've been told it isn't, can this be so?
ZT themselves said it isn't a front flipper, thumbdisk only on instagram, and on their official ZT website mentions only thumb disk.
d47d035b17b3234875ce32e0ceaceeb0.png

Last edited:
I'm always fascinated by people's inability to distinguish between what they would like ZT (or any other maker) to produce and what clearly makes business sense for the maker to produce. I guess that is best exemplified by the use of "they should," rather than "I wish they would." While I'm not suggesting that a company never completely misreads its market, the evidence is pretty clear that ZT knows what sells, which, after all, is all that matters.

Last edited:
Just because a knife is heavy, doesn't make it a hard working knife. It is a linerlock that I wouldn't trust at all. For numerous reasons the strength of that knife doesn't even compare to the ZT 0300 series and the ZT 0560 series for example. I think the sales prove that, look how fast re-run of the ZT 0300 sold out, compare that to the ZT 0909 sales. ZT users want hard use practical knives but they haven't made them in awhile.

Well the 909 sure seemed plenty heavy duty to me, but I never really got the appeal of the 0300 series. When I want “hard use practical knives” I just go for fixed blades anymore.

And that’s the thing, if ZT customers really wanted something, ZT would make it. They make what there’s demand for. ZT users mostly want stylish edc knives with “premium materials”. And that’s why those are the knives that stay in production.

Supply/demand.

Not to mention, at least as far as I'm concerned, slick carbon fiber handles, and even 20CV, do not lend themselves to "hard use," respectively.

I'm always fascinated by people's inability to distinguish between what they would like ZT (or any other maker) to produce and what clearly makes business sense for the maker to produce. I guess that is best exemplified by the use of "they should," rather than "I wish they would." While I'm not suggesting that a company never completely misreads its market, the evidence is pretty clear that ZT knows what sells, which, after all, is all that matters.
I agree with you. "I wish" ZT would make some more no-nonsense type knives, use some different types of locks, maybe make a few more fixed blades, etc. But, they are in this business to make money, so I can't blame them for making what sells. I do wish they wold alter their motto, however, as the mention of "hard use" is a bit confusing compared to the products they produce. Oh well, plenty of other brands out there.

I agree with you. "I wish" ZT would make some more no-nonsense type knives, use some different types of locks, maybe make a few more fixed blades, etc. But, they are in this business to make money, so I can't blame them for making what sells. I do wish they wold alter their motto, however, as the mention of "hard use" is a bit confusing compared to the products they produce. Oh well, plenty of other brands out there.

Spot on, man

Well the 909 sure seemed plenty heavy duty to me, but I never really got the appeal of the 0300 series. When I want “hard use practical knives” I just go for fixed blades anymore.

And that’s the thing, if ZT customers really wanted something, ZT would make it. They make what there’s demand for. ZT users mostly want stylish edc knives with “premium materials”. And that’s why those are the knives that stay in production.

Supply/demand.
Very true, I think the demographic that use the ZT 0301 is very small in comparison to the majority of the knife community/collectors. The ZT 0301 isn't an ideal EDC knife to me at all, it is a duty/outdoors knife. The factors that I judge that make the ZT 0301 the best in it's niche role (for example: operating the knife and ergonomics with different type of gloves, which I have found by far the best) aren't very common tests or needed tests for most people EDC knives. While all of the knife guys I know IRL are military, with similar preferences to me, online we're in the minority which is interesting to see.

Supply/demand.

ZT screwed the lock up on mine and I've heard more than one with the same problem. A light tap sends the blade into unlock. The knife itself is very heavy and seems well made. Until I gave it a easy tap on a soft mouse pad I thought it was a tank. The way they matched the liner lock to the blade just sends it outwards pretty easily. Not all ZT's I own are like that and I still like the brand though.

ofne5g.jpg

So I watched the video and I have one question.....what’s up with all of the backside finger flipping? It seems fancy and cute, but what is the reason to accentuate that opening method. Is the daintiness or difficulty of opening it that way meant to highlight the superior build quality that it can be opened so easily in such a manner?
I don't get it either. I think it's a silly method to open a knife.

What don’t you like about the pikal wave? I find it is actually the best wave I have ever used bar none. Firstly it is the most reliable wave seeming to be the most difficult to accidentally mess up a wave draw. Secondly despite its appearance it is actually the easiest going wave on my pocket unlike other waves which seem to shred it. Also it is actually removable, it can be unscrewed right off the knife.

I'll have to get to a knife store and give it a look.

I don't get it either. I think it's a silly method to open a knife.

How is it any sillier than doing essentially the same motion with a different finger from the other side? Its like saying you can only open a Spyderco Para with the opening hole rather than disengaging the lock and swinging it open (or a benchmade for that matter) it's just one more way to open the knife.

Reactions: Mo2
ZT screwed the lock up on mine and I've heard more than one with the same problem. A light tap sends the blade into unlock. The knife itself is very heavy and seems well made. Until I gave it a easy tap on a soft mouse pad I thought it was a tank. The way they matched the liner lock to the blade just sends it outwards pretty easily. Not all ZT's I own are like that and I still like the brand though.

ofne5g.jpg

This is pretty much what I've said countless times, I love the convenience of the liner and frame lock, it's great on all my CRK's and for office carry. But at the end of the day, it's the most primitive locking system there is, tiny bit of spring tension that is relying totally on the geometry of those two mating surfaces to be perfect, if not perfect, you get what you have there which is a slippery unsafe lock. Knife companies can make their blades and handles 2 inches thick and heavy as a house to have that "hard use" feel, but doesn't mean it's a tool that can handle all tasks, it'll still fail at it's weakest point if the stress is applied. If you want to do unorthodox hard use with a knife as a tool get a Tri-ad, if you want a knife to just fondle, enjoy and cut stuff daily grab any of the other locks out there. It's not like it's a competition or it makes one knife better than the other just because of the lock, it's all about the right tool for the job at hand.

They tried doing the older style “hard working” knives when they did the 0909 Les George collab.

And nobody bought it.

It's funny you mention this because as far as I'm concerned this statement is more or less correct.

Although, for some reason, it seems to be stuck in my head that of the relative few who did pick up the 0909, they seemed to love it so much they bought at least 2 (especially once they were discontinued and received a commensurate price drop).

How is it any sillier than doing essentially the same motion with a different finger from the other side? Its like saying you can only open a Spyderco Para with the opening hole rather than disengaging the lock and swinging it open (or a benchmade for that matter) it's just one more way to open the knife.
I'm all for multiple opening methods. I'm just not in favor of inefficient ones that require more precise hand positioning and shuffling, which is what the spydie flick is in my opinion. YMMV

Back