O.K. Bicycle riders lets see your bikes

This is what I get for venturing out of the BK&T sub! You guys are killing me with these awesome pics.

If you thought that was funny you should have heard the things I was saying when I was building it. "What kind of bird brained frog eating Frenchie would choose a random 23.4mm seat-post inserted into a spacer to fit a 25.2mm seat tube?" Turns out Peugeot would use only French manufacturers for all their parts and the guys making the seat tubes only had one diameter tubing which was of course not a standard size, or so the story goes. Worst deraileurs known to man too, plastic push rod front and stamped paper thin steel with plastic rear. Crankset uses 14 bearings on one side and 12 on the other, just cause they felt like it

Bwahahaha!
As my first bike shop employer used to say: "the French copy NO one!........and....no one copies the French". This was in the early eighties, so....we had 33 drawer cabinets filled with parts for all those Huret Simplex derailleurs (hah! French word!) cottered Nervar cranks (with their own stupid BCD, IIRC)....About the only thing they got right were those Helicoil hubs/freewheels that were on the many Peugeots I built and repaired. I don't think that that ONE good invention in any way redeems the hundreds of other ill-considered parts and standards churned out by their national engineering department.

I haven't the funds to purchase any new bikes for some time.....and I don't have the time to ride nearly as much as I used to, either. Got rid of my Tri setup this summer, since, at 52 with a previously torn hamstring and back surgery 2 years ago, I won't be competing in one EVER again. Kestrel 4000, with an assortment of parts, including 2 custom wheelsets to use 9 speed shifters with an old, 126mm rear hub spacing (9 speed cluster with the pins drilled out and the biggest cog removed; re-assembled on an old 6/7 speed hg hub body. Voila! 8 speeds index shifting with 9 sp. shifters. I had to explain to the guy who bought it that he would NEVER be able to get a rear wheel change during a race....)

17081782769_43b15c2883_b.jpg

My regular ride, a Specialized Tarmac Pro SL. Love this bike, carbon tubular wheelsets are the bomb. Funny though, people always are asking me if I "train with sew-ups".....and I tell them no.....I just ride them. I haven't "trained" in almost 3 decades.

17301054432_f3b040342c_b.jpg

My old Stumpy M2FS. Most everything on this bike has been replaced, including the frame (original broke at the top/seat tube weld ~2 years in...).....OK, the only thing left from the '96 purchase are the pedals. Which were aftermarket, come to think of it....
Still rides OK and I can't afford a new one, nor do I get out and do the kind of riding that would warrant a double springer even if I had the cha-ching.

21850377534_6581f226bf_b.jpg

And lastly my 'Cross ride, which is the only one I've raced in recent memory....like, 6 or 7 years ago. I keep it hoping I'll be able to race it again someday....but until then it's a great winter road bike or travel bike. Goes almost anywhere.

Can't find the photos of it. Aluminum Redline Conquest setup with Avid mech disc brakes and SRAM Rival, for the most part. I'll have to look around for some pics or take a couple more.

I also have a few old and older Schwinns. My touring bike is a Schwinn Voyageur with Eclipse bags; I also have a 5 speed Schwinn tandem from the 70's that needs a LOT of restoration work and a Schwinn ladies Suburban with wire baskets front and rear that was my "around town/grocery getter" a couple decades ago. Thing's been ridden so much the freewheel is almost silent.

Here is my Missasota Framed 2.0 Fat Bike. I have customized a bit. It came black/green.

Here is my Missasota Framed 2.0 Fat Bike. I have customized a bit. It came black/green.

This thread needs more communism / hipster / vintage / budget

zyuO5QA.jpg

Ride old ride slow 12/12

Hi All - Kinda new around here, but trying to work into the community...

Here's my Salsa Mukluk in the middle of an 80 mile race I did last weekend in WI. Weather was ~5F and we were required to carry a bivy, sleeping bag, stove, etc. Tons of fun!

mukluk_small.jpg

Hi All - Kinda new around here, but trying to work into the community...

Here's my Salsa Mukluk in the middle of an 80 mile race I did last weekend in WI. Weather was ~5F and we were required to carry a bivy, sleeping bag, stove, etc. Tons of fun!

View attachment 606739

You, sir, have very interesting ideas about the definition of "fun" ;). I applaud your self flagellation. And am secretly jealous that I don't have the stones to do anything even remotely as burly.

Also those are the biggest pogies I've ever seen. They must keep your hands pretty warm. I've got a set of BarMitts for my road bike and they work quite well, though I don't use them much anymore because they're too limiting hand position-wise. Cool setup.

Grocery store run yesterday, only a few miles but man that was cold. My buddy wanted to do a mountain bike ride after but nope. 27 degrees with 20 mph gusts is my cut off.

Just got a new Topeak super tourist rack for my long haul trucker. This rack still uses my Topeak trunk bag but, gives me room for panniers or baskets with it I moved the Topeak explorer rack that was on it and put it on my Univega mountain bike it was what they had in stock. I got a killer deal on the trucker because everything had been in stock for longer than they like at the bike shop. this give me 3 bikes with Topeak racks that will use the same trunk bag . I also got a Axiom handlebar bag for my surly steamroller.
Roy

Sold the Peugeot to a friend who needed a commuter (the day after I put on brand new Al wheels and converted it to 6 speed of course), then picked up another Supersix (my 2nd).

Its a 2012 with lots of miles but the group was recently changed to Sram Red. I didn't notice the miles until I got into the headset and it was pretty much one rusty chunk. Other than that and a few other niggles it rides like a Supersix: snappy, rigid as hell, and very fun. Been mildly building it up on the cheap, at 7400 grams now but I've about run out of low hanging fruit. I should be able to hit 7.2kg (16lbs), with a tire change and dropping the extra bottle cage later in the season when the 4 year old Schwalbe Lagunos wear out and a lighter saddle. Hope the rest of you are getting some good weather too!

Sold the Peugeot to a friend who needed a commuter (the day after I put on brand new Al wheels and converted it to 6 speed of course), then picked up another Supersix (my 2nd).

Its a 2012 with lots of miles but the group was recently changed to Sram Red. I didn't notice the miles until I got into the headset and it was pretty much one rusty chunk. Other than that and a few other niggles it rides like a Supersix: snappy, rigid as hell, and very fun. Been mildly building it up on the cheap, at 7400 grams now but I've about run out of low hanging fruit. I should be able to hit 7.2kg (16lbs), with a tire change and dropping the extra bottle cage later in the season when the 4 year old Schwalbe Lagunos wear out and a lighter saddle. Hope the rest of you are getting some good weather too!

Ask the previous owner if they used the bike regularly on an indoor trainer. That headset rust may be from body sweat more than actual road mileage and weather. Especially if it's 4 yrs old with the original bar-tape.

I have an old low-end Specialized hardtail, it's not much but it gets me where I'm wanting to go

Px1AFGMh.jpg

While I don't have pics at the moment, currently trail riding a Specialized Crux and a Trek Emonda for the road. I'm looking into building up a Surly Cross Trek or Long Haul Trucker for light touring. If anybody out there has any input pm me. I need info on bar end shifters and touring bars.

Ask the previous owner if they used the bike regularly on an indoor trainer. That headset rust may be from body sweat more than actual road mileage and weather. Especially if it's 4 yrs old with the original bar-tape.

Only original on the frame was the headset bearings, I did message the seller and the frame was left outside in FL for a week when he moved, hence this:

No biggy, I had a spare set from my last supersix. It was 80 degrees here yesterday so my buddy and I went out for a ride right after work. Absolutely perfect weather.

Heres a pic from the ride, my Cannondale and my buddy's Merckx.

Last edited:
Back