Old farts and friction folders.

Old age ain't for the faint of heart.

Someone told me that many years ago and it was the truth. Age is the greatest thief known to man, and he sneaks in and veeeeery slowly steals what make you, what is you. I guess the fact that we live our lives in stages helps to understand the changes in taste we go though. Like as kids we love soda pop. Then as young men we love our beer. Then we learn to appreciate the taste of a smooth whiskey.

I guess now I'm in the red giant stage of life. My taste in some things has changed, but something I always liked have increased in importance. Like friction folders. I always liked them, and appreciated the age old simplicity of a using tool that hasn't changed in hundreds of years. In the red giant stage of life, I now love and use almost exclusively old timey stuff like revolvers, lever action rifles and break open shotguns. And Opinel's, Sardinian Resolza's, and Japanese Higonokami's seemed to go in a pocket more and more as the thief of time worked on me.

I find some comfort in the steady smooth pull of the friction folder, no matter if an Opinel or Resolza or higonakami. I figure of those Sardinian and French peasants and Japanese workers all got by with a simple friction folder, then this old retired guy in Texas can. So far in my almost 40 year love/hate relationship with Opinels, used mostly as a friction folder ignoring the locking ring, I've still got all my fingers. And the ten years or so since Fausto gifted me the resolza, its been a very trouble free relationship with no mishaps. Lots of good cutting though, and thats the bottom line of any knife. Does it cut like the dickens?

I guess if friction folders have been good for working peasants, then a retired gentleman of leisure who goes fishing a lot is well equipped for slicing and dicing of bait and lunch. Wiping off the blade after each job of course! Besides, the granddaughter loves the Samurai fisherman act when I use the Higonokami. :D

Anyone else use friction folders?

If I'm going someplace where I might have to lend a knife to those less than savvy, then the friction folder comes along.
That made me shudder. :eek:
If I'm handing a knife to a newbie, it's a locking knife... otherwise I'll have to pack a first aid kit too. ;)
I've even seen some down-right dumb stuff handing newbies a spring knife, like trying to cut with the blade at half stop. :rolleyes:

If I'm handing a knife to a newbie, it's a locking knife... otherwise I'll have to pack a first aid kit too. ;)
I've even seen some down-right dumb stuff handing newbies a spring knife, like trying to cut with the blade at half stop. :rolleyes:

My friction folder locks.

49364213673_ab42234cdc_b.jpg

Yes, Carl, I love friction folders. I think I only have two:
(1) a Spanish navaja, which locks by means of a palanquilla which must be lifted to unlock the knife. However I don't carry this one often for two reasons: it's a work of art of an award-winning Spanish cutler, and I don't want to damage it in any way; and secondly, the handle shape is not the best for a user knife, in my opinion. It's beautiful, though:
PRdXLny.jpg

and:
(2) an Opinel No. 8. Now this one I carry all the time. It's in my pocket now, for instance. The handle is so comfortable in the hand. It's perfect. That's why I cringe when I see modified ones! Why mess with perfection? What a beautiful shape, handle and blade. Perfect size for me, and smaller and larger ones are available. Better than a chef's knife for cutting potatoes, which stick to the chef's knife's blade. The Opinel just glides quickly through them. Lightweight too. I agree with you that the locking mechanism is unnecessary--I rarely use it, and when I do it's only to lock the knife open, never closed. My Opinel is one of a handful of knives that stay on my nightstand. I will likely get some more No. 8's, maybe in stainless and different handle materials (wood only, no synthetics).
sfU9c4p.jpg

Old Fart

J jackknife , you're ahead of me in red gigantism. I have come to prefer non-locking folders. It's partly PR; a locker looks more weapony. It's partly my dad's, "One more thing to go wrong".
I have carried Opinels, but by my personal definition they aren't FFs because they have a device to hold them open.
This is my only FF by my definition, and it's too big to carry.
QFDsJC4.jpg

I should try a higo.

(Large) MAM non-locking "Operario" sheepsfoot. (100 mm/ 3 7/8 inch closed, 84mm/ 3 1/4 inch blade)
(it came with the leather fob already mounted/attached)
The only "complaint" I have with this knife is the description when I ordered it, said "carbone blade".
The blade says "Inox" :(
Oh well ... can't have everything (anything?) "perfect", I suppose ... I'll pair this with my Opinel (carbone) number 8, if the daRn state ever gets around to inspecting this place, and I get my cigar box of knives ...
Maybe I should pair the MAM and Opinel with a Mora classic number 1, if Gov. Little (or his successor) ever lifts the assisted living Covid-19 lockdown and I can (attempt) to hike the 3 or 4 miles to town for a soda?
(At this time, the lockdown is not expected to be lifted until at least mid 2021, at the earliest.)

View attachment 1400795

Last edited:
I have one that I made, and I do like it.
Haven't found the lack of a lock or even back spring to be a problem.
They're not really something I have ever payed much attention to, but I see nothing wrong with them.

This started off as my childhood 34OT with major blade play which I failed an attempt to perform a through pin modification on.

- interesting :cool:

Not just cos of your getting older gracefully, but your obvious love of frickies.

And not just this, it also immediately brings to mind two other things. Firstly, imho, there’s no absolute need for a half-stop and strong backspring on a slipjoint, and secondly, my growing collection of double-detente folders.

First point - this has been discussed aplenty so no need to start again - if you can use a light spring slipjoint properly, then friction folders should be no different, still have a few including a lovely Michael Morris. And if some much prefer strong backsprings and halfstops, that is utterly cool too :thumbsup::cool:

Secondly, double detente folders are growing in popularity. My latest is a wonderful creation with tapered liners modelled on a kind of traditional Le Thiers......but I daren’t show pics for fear of being scolded.

Double detente folders come in many shapes and sizes but basically work like a double sided linerlock that doesn’t lock........as a friction folder lover, you may possibly find them another avenue of sharp edge joy :D

Not many months ago, bought my first ever Opinel - they are most definitely knives with grace :thumbsup:

Thats why years ago, I made it my blanket policy that I DON'T loan out a knife. If its somebody I don't know, then I ask him wheres his knife. If its somebody I do know, odds are they have their own knife.

Just say no. I love it that as I get older, its easier to get away with being a curmudgeon with attitude!:D

Back