Old farts and friction folders.

My only friction folder is this little MAM (shown with Peanut for scale.) Works fine, but if I ever get a larger one I’ll probably get one with the liner lock.
3FBNf2e.jpg

O.M.G.!!!!

A friction folder with a sheepfoot as small as a peanut. I think I'm in love!!!!

You're a very diabolical person, Headwinds. You know I have a thing for peanut sized knives, right?o_O

I guess I'm gonna buy a new knife in the immediate future, darn you!:eek:
:D

I once watched my niece try to open a package using the spine of a spring knife. :rolleyes:
My son tried that once.
But is his defense, it was a single blade Eureka which looks like a trapper, only backwards.

I have carried Opinels, but by my personal definition they aren't FFs because they have a device to hold them open.
This is where my confusion came from.
I didn't know we were counting locking knives as friction folders.

I made it my blanket policy that I DON'T loan out a knife.
I'm just a sucker for comedy. :D
Watching some people try to use a knife is funny and scary at the same time.

O.M.G.!!!!

A friction folder with a sheepfoot as small as a peanut. I think I'm in love!!!!

You're a very diabolical person, Headwinds. You know I have a thing for peanut sized knives, right?o_O

I guess I'm gonna buy a new knife in the immediate future, darn you!:eek:
:D
At least it won't damage your budget too much!:)

This is where my confusion came from.
I didn't know we were counting locking knives as friction folders.

Modern Opinels aren't pure friction folders. They now have locks for Nos. 6 and above IIRC. But I think we can still consider them friction folders, much as we still consider the recent GEC #23 liner locks as spring knives.

Don't think I've ever had an Opinel so I just ordered a #8 and a sheath for it.

You'll like it, but lemme warn ya, its gonna need some work. Yes, they can be out to the task right off, but they are way. better after some finicky work. Some sanding of the blade slot to widen it out, then sanding around the pivot area for some more clearance. They some immersion is either mineral oil, or better yet, melt some kind of wax/grease into the joint area. I've done Vasoline jelly, Johnson's floor wax, chap stick, and they all work. I use the wife's blow drier on hot and melt it, then jam more in, and Melt that in. That makes it a lot more water resistant. Then use a very large mill file to drop the point just a bit so its more of a strait clip point. Final step is to sand down the upper fishtail of the butt of the handle so it fits the hand better. A little sanding of the handle so the blade can be pinched to pull out and not need the nail nick.

You may have to adjust the locking ring for easy rotation if its too tight.

Yeah, its a a lot of trouble, but they do cut like the dickens. Theres something almost sensual in the way that blade glides through stuff. Its kind of like a kit car thats a PITA to get road ready, but its all about the engine! This knife is all about the blade.

You'll like it, but lemme warn ya, its gonna need some work. Yes, they can be out to the task right off, but they are way. better after some finicky work. Some sanding of the blade slot to widen it out, then sanding around the pivot area for some more clearance. They some immersion is either mineral oil, or better yet, melt some kind of wax/grease into the joint area. I've done Vasoline jelly, Johnson's floor wax, chap stick, and they all work. I use the wife's blow drier on hot and melt it, then jam more in, and Melt that in. That makes it a lot more water resistant. Then use a very large mill file to drop the point just a bit so its more of a strait clip point. Final step is to sand down the upper fishtail of the butt of the handle so it fits the hand better. A little sanding of the handle so the blade can be pinched to pull out and not need the nail nick.

Yeah, its a a lot of trouble, but they do cut like the dickens. Theres something almost sensual in the way that blade glides through stuff. Its kind of like a kit car thats a PITA to get road ready, but its all about the engine! This knife is all about the blade.
Disagree. I have done NOTHING to mine except an occasional touching up the edge (which it probably didn't really need) on ceramic sticks, and it works like a charm. Cuts "like the dickens." Feels great in the hand. As they say, "your mileage may vary." :)

[I can't believe I'm spending most of my BF time today on a thread with "old farts" in the title! :p ]

Thats why years ago, I made it my blanket policy that I DON'T loan out a knife. If its somebody I don't know, then I ask him wheres his knife. If its somebody I do know, odds are they have their own knife.

Just say no. I love it that as I get older, its easier to get away with being a curmudgeon with attitude!:D
Very true. Who ever heard of a young curmudgeon, anyway? It takes decades of learning and hard knocks to properly become one. :D

Disagree. I have done NOTHING to mine except an occasional touching up the edge (which it probably didn't really need) on ceramic sticks, and it works like a charm. Cuts "like the dickens." Feels great in the hand. As they say, "your mileage may vary." :)

[I can't believe I'm spending most of my BF time today on a thread with "old farts" in the title! :p ]

You will get no argument from me there. I used Opinels for forty years, and it never occurred to me to alter one. But neither did I carry one in my pocket, as a rule. The flared pommel created an uncomfortable lump. Sanding down the pommel and thinning the handle transformed my Opinel from a knife that rode in a tank bag or a motorcycle tool kit into one that goes in my pocket every day.

Thanks for the tips.:thumbsup: When I get the knife, I'll look it over carefully and apply your advice where necessary.:)

Thats why years ago, I made it my blanket policy that I DON'T loan out a knife. If its somebody I don't know, then I ask him wheres his knife. If its somebody I do know, odds are they have their own knife.

Just say no. I love it that as I get older, its easier to get away with being a curmudgeon with attitude!:D

I wouldn't lend a steel ball bearing to most people. But for my wife and daughter, parents, siblings, cousins, nephews and nieces, and close friends? There is no knife so precious that I wouldn't lend it out. I may keep a watchful eye on them at first, but in the end it's just a material object. Those can always be replaced. If a loved one needs help and I can give it, I'll give it.

Back