Old farts and friction folders.

I don't know if I'm old enough or farty enough to come by my attraction to friction folders "naturally", but I do like my Opinels and MAMs:
mams&opis.mark.open.jpg

The bottom Opinel, a #6, now looks like this:
opi#6.finishedmod.open.jpg

I also have a #8 Opignel with walnut handle, a gift from my daughter:
oPIGnel.mark.open.jpg

Quite fond of my higonokami and a Taramundi from Spain, too:
higonokami.jpg
taramundi.open.out.jpg

- GT

I can't believe I'm spending most of my BF time today on a thread with "old farts" in the title! :p ]

You'll get used to it Vince. As you get older, you'll find yourself becoming more and more flatulent:rolleyes: and will discover you don't need one of the new fangled plastic Opinel knives with the built in whistle as you will find you have your own built in whistle.:eek::)

I just ordered this Ohta from @knifeswapper over at Collector Knives.

Zosa6m8.jpg

CK picture

Last edited:
I wouldn't lend a steel ball bearing to most people. But for my wife and daughter, parents, siblings, cousins, nephews and nieces, and close friends? There is no knife so precious that I wouldn't lend it out. I may keep a watchful eye on them at first, but in the end it's just a material object. Those can always be replaced. If a loved one needs help and I can give it, I'll give it.

It ain't a question of helping out. Its a question of giving an incompetent a dangerously sharp tool that they will need reconstructive surgery on the severed tendons. Lets face it, most people who are not knife nuts are incompetent. They are used to the 5.99 kitchen isle at the big box discount store junker. They have no idea, zilch, zip, nada, bupkis, idea of what a sharp knife will do.

When Karen and first got together, her brother in law went to slice a bagel in my kitchen with a very sharp Victorinox bread knife. Hours later that day when he got back from getting the palm of his hand sewn up, he said he never saw a knife that sharp.

A friend of Karens was over for brunch one Sunday, and near took off her left index finger with a Victorinox chef's knife. Hours later, when she got back from the ER with several stitches, she marveled at how sharp the knife was. One day at work a co-worker 'borrowed' my Opinel number 9 that was laying on the work bench in front of my tool box. Hours later when the Forman drove him back from the ER...

Are we seeing a trend here?

I like sharp knives. Most non knife people don't have a single clue how to handle a sharp knife. Hence, I flat out don't loan our knives anymore. I don't care who it is. Let them use scissors or I'll cut it for them.

That's a different issue. I wouldn't give an incompetent a sharp knife, in the same way that I wouldn't give my two-year-old niece a sharp knife. But for those of alert mind and body?

That's a different issue. I wouldn't give an incompetent a sharp knife, in the same way that I wouldn't give my two-year-old niece a sharp knife. But for those of alert mind and body?

Well, if they can't bothered to carry a knife, but want to borrow mine, then I think they are not of alert mind or body. If they don't bother to carry a knife, then they are very clearly NOT a knife person, thus most likely to have zero idea of how to handle a sharp knife. Obvious evidence to draw a likely conclusion that they are anything but of alert mind.

I'm tired of incompetent non knife people trying to prove how dumb they can be on my time with my knife.

I'm a 71 year old old fart....... I have some Opinel's and I love them....... They sharpen up beautifully and are a joy to use..... I can carry and use them without worrying about getting scuffs or scratches....... I think everyone 65 and older should have an Opinel.....

I'm a 71 year old old fart....... I have some Opinel's and I love them....... They sharpen up beautifully and are a joy to use..... I can carry and use them without worrying about getting scuffs or scratches....... I think everyone 65 and older should have an Opinel.....

The first knife I gave my grandson was an Opinel 7. I think everyone seven and older should have an Opinel.

Maybe they need to send one when you get that first social security check?:)

They really are such a joy to use, and the only other knife I have that cuts as good, is my Victorinox garden/florist knife with a chisel grind. Very, very thin edge.

Maybe they need to send one when you get that first social security check?:)

They really are such a joy to use, and the only other knife I have that cuts as good, is my Victorinox garden/florist knife with a chisel grind. Very, very thin edge.

I think the Opinel is underappreciated and often scoffed at by those that haven't had an opportunity to use one.... I bought my first one because of positive comments on BF.... I wouldn't have considered one otherwise......

e7Ws7yj.jpg

Carrying Ohta FK5 as I’m reading. I definitely want more friction folders in the future. There’s something enchanting about the simplicity of these things!

I love the looks of those!!!!

I found an online site that sells them, and I can't believe how low priced they are for the apparent quality. I think I'm gonna try one. You're pics convinced me.:thumbsup:

I think the Opinel is underappreciated and often scoffed at by those that haven't had an opportunity to use one.... I bought my first one because of positive comments on BF.... I wouldn't have considered one otherwise......

I admit that when I first saw them in 1981 or so, I was totally unfamiliar with them, and thought they were some kind if rincky dink cheapo thing. Only the glowing report from the person I actually knew at the store that was a strait shooter convinced me to try one. I was deeply immersed in carrying SAK's and a Buck stockman at that time. It was the start of a long friendship with them. Going on 40 years with Opinels from number 12 to number 4's.

They cut like the dickens, you know!:thumbsup:

You won't be disappointed if you do. I ordered one for my son and I might order another for myself.

Thanks bud! Thats a pretty good reference and you may be responsible for me spending money on yet another knife in my old age!!!:eek:

Shame on you.;)

I have several opinels sizes 6 to 8. I really liked them.

I also have their garden model and up until a couple of weeks ago had never used.

I like the aesthetics of the "normal" opinel and this garden one seemed a bit odd ... until I started using it.

Very comfortable and the spear tip seems a bit more practical to me.

Easier to open too as compared to their regular model

It even has a hole for a lanyard :)
( which in my case seems to get in the way more than help for anything lol )

KtnBoNv.jpg

SQxTanA.jpg

Back