Old farts and friction folders.

I'm an old fart, and sometimes I feel the friction when I fold. :eek: Maybe someday soon it'll be something like this Ohta (photo from CK)...

OHFK5PIWA-1-600x450.jpg

I just ordered this Ohta from @knifeswapper over at Collector Knives.

Zosa6m8.jpg

CK picture

I’ve been eyeing those recently, too. Guess I oughta get one. :D

I wouldn't lend a steel ball bearing to most people. But for my wife and daughter, parents, siblings, cousins, nephews and nieces, and close friends? There is no knife so precious that I wouldn't lend it out. I may keep a watchful eye on them at first, but in the end it's just a material object. Those can always be replaced. If a loved one needs help and I can give it, I'll give it.

If someone asks to use my knife, I’m more likely to ask what they need to cut, and then offer to cut it for them. I love my mom, but I once watched her try to get onions off of a kitchen knife by tapping the edge of the blade on the side of a pan, so yeah, I won’t be handing her any of my knives to use. ;)

Although I’m not an old fart, I am a big Opinel fan. I appreciate some of the mods I’ve seen, but personally I’m with Vince ( Prester John Prester John ) — sharpen ‘em up (which is easy and very satisfying), drop ‘em in my pocket, I’m happy. :thumbsup:

Here’s a Michael Morris friction folder that I’ve had for a few years, and should really carry more often.

5nw5D5e.jpg

AtsTG3u.jpg

I have only one Opinel, a no. 8 Carbone drop point. (If I EVER see these for sale again... I'd buy a pile of them)
I do have a pile of no. 7's (or maybe they are 6's ???) that I gift out to fellow pipers as plug cutting knives. My no. 8 is currently seeing duty as mainly a plug cutter, because it is a thin convexed edged laser of a cutter. It has, in the past... and likely future, seen duty as a kitchen knife. And, of course... is perfect as a picnic knife. Haven't gone on a picnic in quite some time though...

J jackknife , I know you are a piper..... ever smoke plugs? The Opie is the PERFECT plug knife.

Yes, I do have a plug now an then, and the Opinel slices that compressed tobacco like a scalpel. The Higonokami does well too.

I’ve been eyeing those recently, too. Guess I oughta get one. :D

If someone asks to use my knife, I’m more likely to ask what they need to cut, and then offer to cut it for them. I love my mom, but I once watched her try to get onions off of a kitchen knife by tapping the edge of the blade on the side of a pan, so yeah, I won’t be handing her any of my knives to use. ;)

Although I’m not an old fart, I am a big Opinel fan. I appreciate some of the mods I’ve seen, but personally I’m with Vince ( Prester John Prester John ) — sharpen ‘em up (which is easy and very satisfying), drop ‘em in my pocket, I’m happy. :thumbsup:

Here’s a Michael Morris friction folder that I’ve had for a few years, and should really carry more often.

5nw5D5e.jpg

AtsTG3u.jpg
That integral bottle-opener is a superb addition.

I don't know where "old fart" came from, or how it attained universality. I don't like it and I won't accept it, but I will continue to visit this thread for the friction folders.:confused::confused:[two emoticons because something logged me out while I was editing. A fart conspiracy?o_O]

Last edited:
My Opinels, older to newer:
PAtBJqv.jpg

The #10 is from a mountaineering shop in Japan. It was always in my briefcase.
The #8 with the strangely red handle is from the flea market. the original finish was gone; this might be just linseed oil.
The second #8 is from an antique mall.
The Coghlan is from the flea market. This one I carried a lot because of the pocket-friendly handle.
The stainless #7 is from the now sadly defunct Knife Cave in Marshall, MI. I tore up my thumbnail some before I realized it was locked closed. I tried to make the handle like the Coghlan, but didn't have the nerve to quite get there.
Rats! I lost the points!

I have one that I made, and I do like it.
Haven't found the lack of a lock or even back spring to be a problem.
They're not really something I have ever payed much attention to, but I see nothing wrong with them.

This started off as my childhood 34OT with major blade play which I failed an attempt to perform a through pin modification on.
Excellent idea! I have some blades like screened porch screened porch does, Schrades in my case, and I think a home made friction folder or two would be a fun project. Using bent steel like a higo or Mercator like you did would serve to let me control the travel of the blade.

Several of you have mentioned loaning knives to rank amateurs, but they have to learn somehow. I’d rather give a kid a knife than the tv remote:D

View attachment 1403422

Nice Ed! Looks like it's hollow ground...is it sharp? Ebony FK5 on the way here.

GE Jr GE Jr - Yes it is very sharp. At first it didn't seem to be very sharp but I noticed there was a waxyish substance on the blade (I assume to protect the blade) and when I wiped it off with some alcohol it was sharp as the dickens.

I'm not a talented photographer and my cameras are 18+ years old so my pictures aren't great but this knife is very nicely done and the finish on the cocobolo wood is silky smoth with great grain.

For you guys on the fence about getting one, I strongly recommend you do because I just might get another one or two and there won't be any left for you. By the way, the price is modest VERY reasonable..

I guess I could add to Modo ED and other Ohta owners that they are indeed very nice knives!
Here are some notes because I'm lazy for writing consistent posts now:

- The D2 blade is quite tricky to sharpen. It might not be surprise for those who are familiar with D2, but I suspect that it's also quite high hardened as Japanese knives generally are.
- Action of the knife is super smooth! It's indeed pleasure to open one handed and the retention is just right. The knife seems to have washers (bronze?) that add to this.
- Finish of the handle is superb (mine is ebony). It's wonderful shade of black and dark brown that shines in bright sunlight.
- Blade sleeve is basic, but I quite like it. Only reason I wanted to make myself one is because I can and because mine also conceals the tang, hence making it less pokey in the pocket.
- Design is very elegant, and in my opinion, is very hard to photograph and do justice.
- No liners, so not very hard use and no torque should be applied to it too much. I have whittled with it little bit though and I suspect it will not loosen as easily as your regular brass higonokami.
- Value is superb!

GE Jr GE Jr - Yes it is very sharp. At first it didn't seem to be very sharp but I noticed there was a waxyish substance on the blade (I assume to protect the blade) and when I wiped it off with some alcohol it was sharp as the dickens.

Thats about the most important thing right there!:thumbsup:

I guess I could add to Modo ED and other Ohta owners that they are indeed very nice knives!
Here are some notes because I'm lazy for writing consistent posts now:

- The D2 blade is quite tricky to sharpen. It might not be surprise for those who are familiar with D2, but I suspect that it's also quite high hardened as Japanese knives generally are.
- Action of the knife is super smooth! It's indeed pleasure to open one handed and the retention is just right. The knife seems to have washers (bronze?) that add to this.
- Finish of the handle is superb (mine is ebony). It's wonderful shade of black and dark brown that shines in bright sunlight.
- Blade sleeve is basic, but I quite like it. Only reason I wanted to make myself one is because I can and because mine also conceals the tang, hence making it less pokey in the pocket.
- Design is very elegant, and in my opinion, is very hard to photograph and do justice.
- No liners, so not very hard use and no torque should be applied to it too much. I have whittled with it little bit though and I suspect it will not loosen as easily as your regular brass higonokami.
- Value is superb!

That's a perfect review.:thumbsup::thumbsup::) I couldn't have expressed/written it better myself.:thumbsup:

That integral bottle-opener is a superb addition.

I don't know where "old fart" came from, or how it attained universality. I don't like it and I won't accept it, but I will continue to visit this thread for the friction folders.:confused::confused:[two emoticons because something logged me out while I was editing. A fart conspiracy?o_O]
It's a term of endearment.

Back