Old farts and friction folders.

I think I mentioned earlier that I couldn't recall ever having had an Opinel.:eek: With that said, I ordered a No. 8 with a carbon steel blade and it came in today. First impressions are favorable. It's a bit large - not length but girth - for my liking but I'll give it an honest go. Maybe I'll head over to the "French Regional" thread this weekend to show it off more.:)

kKjNdHR.jpg

I think I mentioned earlier that I couldn't recall ever having had an Opinel.:eek: With that said, I ordered a No. 8 with a carbon steel blade and it came in today. First impressions are favorable. It's a bit large - not length but girth - for my liking but I'll give it an honest go. Maybe I'll head over to the "French Regional" thread this weekend to show it off more.:)

kKjNdHR.jpg
It's very lightweight. And one of my best slicers. Used mine this morning to dice potatoes. My chef's knife kind of clings to the potatoes, but the Opinel glides effortlessly through them. One of my most carried knives.

It's very lightweight. And one of my best slicers. Used mine this morning to dice potatoes. My chef's knife kind of clings to the potatoes, but the Opinel glides effortlessly through them. One of my most carried knives.

Is it a No. 8 that you pocket carry Vince?

We're going out and about today and I'll pocket carry it.:)

Ed, I think you'll like it. It's light weight enough that you hardly notice it in your pocket. The number 8 is just a tad bulky for me, so I often carry a number 6 that I've sanded on a bit. Took off the back part of the fishtail so it butts into my hand more comfortably, and took a wee bit off the thickness of the handles. It rides right beside the DeSantis pocket holster for my NAA mini revolver in my right pocket.

Opinel's are just so wonderfull a cutting tool. They cut like the dickens. :thumbsup:

Wondering if my CS Twistmaster (C-V) rates as a friction folder? It does hold open without the lock being used. It's useful if very simple knife and I love the carbon V steel. Used for cleaning fish and other oddjobs instead of dirtying up a "better" knife.

Last edited:
Ed, I think you'll like it. It's light weight enough that you hardly notice it in your pocket. The number 8 is just a tad bulky for me, so I often carry a number 6 that I've sanded on a bit. Took off the back part of the fishtail so it butts into my hand more comfortably, and took a wee bit off the thickness of the handles. It rides right beside the DeSantis pocket holster for my NAA mini revolver in my right pocket.

Opinel's are just so wonderfull a cutting tool. They cut like the dickens. :thumbsup:

Yes, I found the No.8 to be "a tad bulky" to pocket carry yesterday; however, I'm sure I'll make good use of it. I'm not going to make any of your suggested mods just yet but rather see what might need to be done after I've used it for awhile.

I never used to carry a knife at all. When I started buying Opinels, I found them uncomfortable to carry, so I continued not carrying a knife., even as I kept on buying and using Opinels.

Years later, when I eventually learned how easy it was to trim an Opinel down, I had independently evolved to the point where I always wanted to have a knife in my pocket. That was a happy convergence of learning.

Wondering if my CS Twistmaster (C-V) rates as a friction folder? It does hold open without the lock being used. It's useful if very simple knife and I love the carbon V steel. Used for cleaning fish and other oddjobs instead of dirtying up a "better" knife.

Picture

I never used to carry a knife at all. When I started buying Opinels, I found them uncomfortable to carry, so I continued not carrying a knife., even as I kept on buying and using Opinels.

Years later, when I eventually learned how easy it was to trim an Opinel down, I had independently evolved to the point where I always wanted to have a knife in my pocket. That was a happy convergence of learning.

Pictures of modified knives?

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I love happy endings!:)

Back