Old farts and friction folders.

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by jackknife, Aug 17, 2020.

1. Misplaced Hillbilly

Misplaced Hillbilly Gold Member Gold Member

May 16, 2018
    [​IMG]
    I don't think I've reached the "old fart" stage yet, but after today I can say I'm a new fan of friction folders. Of the Opinel variety at least:cool::thumbsup:

2. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    You can be "old at heart", David!

3. Pt-Luso

Pt-Luso Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 8, 2014
  4. scrteened porch

scrteened porch Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 19, 2012
    My new Martins came. Shown with a #7 Opinel.
    [​IMG]
    The ferrule and locking ring look like the same gauge steel as the Opinel, but being shorter and having a slot instead of a cannelure, it feels less solid. Plenty solid enough to hold the blade in place, but if anyone had to interdict someone with one of them, I'd recommend the Opinel.
    The handle is ash.
    It's a trick of the artificial light that makes the carbon Opinel shinier than the stainless Martins. 420 HC, I think they said, good enough for Buck.
    The blade is exactly three inches long.
    $15.
    I like it a lot.

5. Modoc ED

Modoc ED Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 28, 2010
    No. 8 - Came in yesterday

[​IMG]

6. sitflyer

sitflyer Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 10, 2011
    They are well worth the money, and very pleasing to the eye and in the hand. You won't be disappointed.

Modoc ED likes this.
  7. joeradza

joeradza Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 6, 2014
  8. Mayonardo

Mayonardo

Oct 28, 2010
    Exactly. It’s is not rude to refuse. It is rude when they ask why and get an honest answer.

Very nice wood. After seeing this I just ordered the ironwood version from Mike.
    Absolutely should. I suggest that “old fart references” be dropped from the name because it will limit participation. I can say this because I’m almost 78. How should we go about this? Bring a mod and or admin into the discussion ?

9. scrteened porch

Feb 19, 2012

I suggested this to OP earlier, but the general response was pro-senior flatulators. I don't think the mods will change a title that doesn't break a rule.

Modoc ED likes this.
  10. Modoc ED

Mar 28, 2010
    So you come in on page 8, post 147 of a thread that's been running successfully since August 17 and want to take the Heart of the thread out - "Old Farts".:eek: It's been going along just fine with input from various youngsters in their 40s, 50s, 60s. 70s, etc. and we like to hear from the teens, 20s, and 30s, too.:)

Carl @jackknife the OP - Don't fall for this. Leave the thread title as is.:thumbsup:

11. jackknife

jackknife Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Oct 2, 2004
    No.

I've spent the better part of 7 decades developing, cultivating, refining, and practicing, who and what I am. I've survived a war, numerous things that tried to shorten my life, and survived, often in spite of myself and sometimes self administered mishaps. :eek:

I am an old fart. There, I said it. I've spent a lifetime learning from experience to get here, and I'm not changing my story. I claim the curmudgeon privilege. :cool:
    :D

12. HEMI 49

HEMI 49 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 9, 2018
    Here is a #7 carbon steel being held in my arthritic ridden hand..... The knife is very thin behind the edge and cuts like a scalpel.... Light in the pocket, I think it is a Bic lighter I carried back in my Pall Mall days..... Every knife person needs a couple of these regardless of whether you are a geezer or not...... 20200917_163442.jpg

13. Mayonardo

Mayonardo

Oct 28, 2010
    “geezer”, I like that.
    Take the heart out. I was suggesting taking the fart out. And, does it matter when I joined to thread in terms of the acceptability of my opinion? “I fart in your general direction.”

14. Pt-Luso

Pt-Luso Basic Member Basic Member

Nov 8, 2014
  15. Henry Beige

Henry Beige Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 1, 2015
    What’s your beef? Don’t like the beefy ones?

Prester John and Modoc ED like this.
  16. Henry Beige

Henry Beige Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 1, 2015

Heh, heh. He said “cannelure”. I have always wondered what to call that circumferential ridge on the Virobloc. “Cannelure” looks like it comes pretty close. Is it the term of art for that feature, or rather a creative application of bullet terminology?

Prester John and Modoc ED like this.
  17. Modoc ED

Mar 28, 2010
    Right back atcha:)

Prester John and sitflyer like this.
  18. scrteened porch

Feb 19, 2012
    It's what came to mind. I think it means a groove in a sheet of metal that adds rigidity without weight, but I'll have to look it up now (and verify whether the l or the n is double, while I'm at it).
    I like circumferential ridge.

19. cheesemaster

cheesemaster

Jun 29, 2012
    I'm an aspiring old fart, not sure if I meet the criteria yet. But I'm a big fan of friction folders:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Prester John, GE Jr, Modoc ED and 2 others like this.
  20. scrteened porch

Feb 19, 2012
    Nice. Is the feoh wen a maker's mark or owner's initials?