Old farts and friction folders.

O4KL5O0.jpg

I don't think I've reached the "old fart" stage yet, but after today I can say I'm a new fan of friction folders. Of the Opinel variety at least:cool::thumbsup:

My new Martins came. Shown with a #7 Opinel.
IqoiNq8.jpg

The ferrule and locking ring look like the same gauge steel as the Opinel, but being shorter and having a slot instead of a cannelure, it feels less solid. Plenty solid enough to hold the blade in place, but if anyone had to interdict someone with one of them, I'd recommend the Opinel.
The handle is ash.
It's a trick of the artificial light that makes the carbon Opinel shinier than the stainless Martins. 420 HC, I think they said, good enough for Buck.
The blade is exactly three inches long.
$15.
I like it a lot.

I love the looks of those!!!!

I found an online site that sells them, and I can't believe how low priced they are for the apparent quality. I think I'm gonna try one. You're pics convinced me.:thumbsup:
They are well worth the money, and very pleasing to the eye and in the hand. You won't be disappointed.

Thats why years ago, I made it my blanket policy that I DON'T loan out a knife. If its somebody I don't know, then I ask him wheres his knife. If its somebody I do know, odds are they have their own knife.

Just say no. I love it that as I get older, its easier to get away with being a curmudgeon with attitude!:D
Exactly. It’s is not rude to refuse. It is rude when they ask why and get an honest answer.

I just ordered this Ohta from @knifeswapper over at Collector Knives.

Zosa6m8.jpg

CK picture
Very nice wood. After seeing this I just ordered the ironwood version from Mike.
Oh my, I just a thought. Always a dangerous thing.

Could we...

Should we...

possibly...

Start The Cult Of The Friction Folders?????:eek:
Absolutely should. I suggest that “old fart references” be dropped from the name because it will limit participation. I can say this because I’m almost 78. How should we go about this? Bring a mod and or admin into the discussion ?

Exactly. It’s is not rude to refuse. It is rude when they ask why and get an honest answer.

Very nice wood. After seeing this I just ordered the ironwood version from Mike.

Absolutely should. I suggest that “old fart references” be dropped from the name because it will limit participation. I can say this because I’m almost 78. How should we go about this? Bring a mod and or admin into the discussion ?

I suggested this to OP earlier, but the general response was pro-senior flatulators. I don't think the mods will change a title that doesn't break a rule.

So you come in on page 8, post 147 of a thread that's been running successfully since August 17 and want to take the Heart of the thread out - "Old Farts".:eek: It's been going along just fine with input from various youngsters in their 40s, 50s, 60s. 70s, etc. and we like to hear from the teens, 20s, and 30s, too.:)

Carl J jackknife the OP - Don't fall for this. Leave the thread title as is.:thumbsup:

No.

I've spent the better part of 7 decades developing, cultivating, refining, and practicing, who and what I am. I've survived a war, numerous things that tried to shorten my life, and survived, often in spite of myself and sometimes self administered mishaps. :eek:

I am an old fart. There, I said it. I've spent a lifetime learning from experience to get here, and I'm not changing my story. I claim the curmudgeon privilege. :cool:
:D

Here is a #7 carbon steel being held in my arthritic ridden hand..... The knife is very thin behind the edge and cuts like a scalpel.... Light in the pocket, I think it is a Bic lighter I carried back in my Pall Mall days..... Every knife person needs a couple of these regardless of whether you are a geezer or not......20200917_163442.jpg

“geezer”, I like that.
So you come in on page 8, post 147 of a thread that's been running successfully since August 17 and want to take the Heart of the thread out - "Old Farts".:eek:
Take the heart out. I was suggesting taking the fart out. And, does it matter when I joined to thread in terms of the acceptability of my opinion? “I fart in your general direction.”

My new Martins came. Shown with a #7 Opinel.
IqoiNq8.jpg

The ferrule and locking ring look like the same gauge steel as the Opinel, but being shorter and having a slot instead of a cannelure, it feels less solid. Plenty solid enough to hold the blade in place, but if anyone had to interdict someone with one of them, I'd recommend the Opinel.
The handle is ash.
It's a trick of the artificial light that makes the carbon Opinel shinier than the stainless Martins. 420 HC, I think they said, good enough for Buck.
The blade is exactly three inches long.
$15.
I like it a lot.

Heh, heh. He said “cannelure”. I have always wondered what to call that circumferential ridge on the Virobloc. “Cannelure” looks like it comes pretty close. Is it the term of art for that feature, or rather a creative application of bullet terminology?

Heh, heh. He said “cannelure”. I have always wondered what to call that circumferential ridge on the Virobloc. “Cannelure” looks like it comes pretty close. Is it the term of art for that feature, or rather a creative application of bullet terminology?
It's what came to mind. I think it means a groove in a sheet of metal that adds rigidity without weight, but I'll have to look it up now (and verify whether the l or the n is double, while I'm at it).
I like circumferential ridge.

Back