Old farts and friction folders.

1Q7SHRT.jpg

Ed, thats a nice little working stable of Opinels you've got there. :thumbsup:

Now you just need the little number three keychain model for the 'light work'!:D

I've been looking at fixed blades to cannibalize for a friction folder. Trouble is, even the rattiest FB looks better as it is than it would after I'd chopped it up. This is a better idea:
yyfvyFw.jpg

I bought a couple of these at an estate sale and the guy threw in half a bucketfull.

I've been looking at fixed blades to cannibalize for a friction folder. Trouble is, even the rattiest FB looks better as it is than it would after I'd chopped it up. This is a better idea:
yyfvyFw.jpg

I bought a couple of these at an estate sale and the guy threw in half a bucketfull.
Unfortunately, hack saw blades are differentially heat treated. The teeth receive a HT and the body of the blade is left soft. That being said, while in Mexico I have seen crude fixed blades being used that were made from hacksaw blades.

Unfortunately, hack saw blades are differentially heat treated. The teeth receive a HT and the body of the blade is left soft. That being said, while in Mexico I have seen crude fixed blades being used that were made from hacksaw blades.
If it's unsuitably soft, it will be easy to work!
But we'll see. When I try to shave the back of the blade with a cheap knife, the knife just skates over it.
I intend to file and grind it cold and wet, since I have no idea what's alloyed in it so no idea how to heat-treat it. Unless SASE FMex Green Stripe has a recoverable meaning. (Starrett)
It's 17.5" long, so I'll cut it in two first and hope to use the existing hole and notch.

yyfvyFw.jpg

I made this cardboard template a couple of years ago, intending to purchase an Old Hickory butcher knife to grind the blade from, but never got around to it. I may try to do it this winter, but I also have a bunch of home maintenance tasks lined up, so we’ll see...

JwiDmdg.jpg

Say, sitflyer sitflyer , were those Mexican hacksaw knives made by knife knuts, or for a special purpose, or because regular knives were unavailable for some reason?

I'm pretty sure this one is made from a piece of handsaw. I have some of that in the garage if the hacksaw doesn't work.
eeB4B4G.jpg

Seems like I just mopped that floor, but I guess they're like lawns.

Last edited:
Say, sitflyer sitflyer , were those Mexican hacksaw knives made by knife knuts, or for a special purpose, or because regular knives were unavailable for some reason?

I'm pretty sure this one is made from a piece of handsaw. I have some of that in the garage if the hacksaw doesn't work.
eeB4B4G.jpg

Seems like I just mopped that floor, but I guess they're like lawns.

Not knife nuts, Divers. They had it on the boat to cut things that needed cutting. That year I gave each of the dive masters we had gone with a knife before going home...

I'm afraid sitflyer sitflyer was right about the differential heat treating. The back of the hacksaw blade is quite hard, but the quarter inch behind the teeth is adamantine. Having done this much filing, I'll get out a torch and try to soften the toothy side. When that doesn't work, I'll try Just Tom's Old Hickory ploy.

Last edited:
I'm afraid sitflyer sitflyer was right about the differential heat treating. The back of the hacksaw blade is quite hard, but the quarter inch behind the teeth is adamantine. Having done this much filing, I'll get out a torch and try to soften the toothy side. When that doesn't work, I'll try Just Tom's Old Hickory ploy.
Was just hoping to save you some time and energy...One could make a decent cutter from them hacksaw blades, but the cutting edge would need to be the material left that was heat treated. Would be way more advisable to use a known quality blade steel for such a mod...just go slow and cool on yer grinds and you should be good to go.

Hello guys,
Long time without logging in and today I just came by and saw this thread, so here is some Spanish goodness with a couple of Frenchs and a Portuguese for good measure thrown into the lot
Hope you enjoy them
3-C03-AEBA-E8-AF-4-D56-953-F-EC34237406-EB.jpg

A8984-DF4-8411-4-EDC-8375-21-D1-C98-EB45-F.jpg

20-B63-D99-B09-B-4810-BE1-E-9-B10-D3-FDA16-B.jpg

Last edited:
Back